Thinking about going into Pharmacy...

Started by ged0001
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ged0001

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well this is a really confusing time for me in my life, and I am trying to make some decisions to better my future. Any help that you people could offer would help me out a lot.

I recently transfered to San Diego State University with a major in Kinesiology. I was going to graduate just with that, as it is a distinct interest of mine, but when i started to look into the potential job market and salary for those with that degree, i almost had a heart attack.

The truth is, i need to be making more money. I have the strong potential of taking 6 core science classes on top of my major (2 chem's, 2 physics, 2 bio's) and applying to PT school to earn my DPT. Physical therapy is very interesting to me, but they also do not make a lot of money at all. Average salary of 65k a year for all that school! It seems ridiculous! What is the relative difficulty of pharmacy school to pt school?

Recently I started looking into becoming a pharmacist and i had several questions about getting into the job. How much backtracking would i need to do in my current schooling to get into a pharmacy school? I dont have very many science classes under my belt so i assume i would need to take all of those. What do pharmacy schools require for admission? Also, i am not the best at chemistry/math etc but i can do well in them. If these subjects are not my strong points or passions is being a pharmacist the wrong professions for me?

As of right now, the main thing that is attracting me to this field is the pay. I am a very money motivated individual, but i want to make sure i am not getting into a profession that will bore me.

I am sorry if this sounds rambling or incoherent, I am just really stressed about what im going to do with my life! Thanks and have a great day.
 
Also, i am not the best at chemistry/math etc but i can do well in them. If these subjects are not my strong points or passions is being a pharmacist the wrong professions for me?

Chemistry is very important in pharmacy. You pretty much need to know it inside and out like how will a certain drug react with the patient. If it's not your best subject, i would recommend that you work twice as hard at it.
 
Chemistry is important to pharmacy... and if it is not a subject you particularly enjoy, you might not enjoy the field. I would recommend shadowing a pharmacist to see if it appeals to you. However, another field that might interest you since you seem most interested in kinesiology is occupational therapy. My friend is a masters student in OT and expects around 80k after graduation. There is a big demand for OTs as well. Just a suggestion. 🙂 Good luck with your career searching!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad