Thinking about retaking ugh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Osteopathinthemaking

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So i am feeling not too good about this cycle (DO) and I am thinking of retaking for the third time the first two were of the old pre 2015 MCAT and I got a 21, then a 24 but I know I didnt study enough
Any study schedules out there worth looking into? what is the best book for this new MCAT? thanks!
 
So i am feeling not too good about this cycle (DO) and I am thinking of retaking for the third time the first two were of the old pre 2015 MCAT and I got a 21, then a 24 but I know I didnt study enough
Any study schedules out there worth looking into? what is the best book for this new MCAT? thanks!

I wouldn't retake. I would see how this cycle goes and if you don't get in you still have a trump card retake you can use during your gap for the next cycle. If you burn through your third retake now and don't do substantially better, you will be announcing to the world that you have peaked which is far from a good thing. A 4th MCAT would be atrocious...just no, don't even think about it.
 
Since the first two were pre-2015 update, I would definitely hold off from taking it this year. The prep resources are scattered, 'good' practice tests (AAMC = 1) sparse, and it's more content (emphasizing biochem, adding a whole section of psych/soc). So... if you felt unprepared for lack of studying for the last attempt, it's unlikely you'd do yourself much good trying to cram more material for a test relevant to this cycle.

Depending on your GPA, you could apply this round and see what happens. If no bites half way through, consider studying with a good buffer before the next application season.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you have a solid application otherwise, I'm sure you're in the range for D.O schools if you apply broadly? I wouldn't risk taking this exam as NonTrad said, everyone taking this test is making a big gamble as our resources are very weak.
 
If you have a solid application otherwise, I'm sure you're in the range for D.O schools if you apply broadly? I wouldn't risk taking this exam as NonTrad said, everyone taking this test is making a big gamble as our resources are very weak.
Trust me I dont want to hahaha thanks but my GPA is not stellar and I keep getting told that my MCAT is the one holding me back gahh we shall see after this cycle
 
Hey I feel you because I am in the same boat! I just ordered new MCAT books and decided to retake, this would be my 3rd time as well.I would start studying right now and give yourself at least 9 months of studying before taking the new test.
 
Hey I feel you because I am in the same boat! I just ordered new MCAT books and decided to retake, this would be my 3rd time as well.I would start studying right now and give yourself at least 9 months of studying before taking the new test.

This seems excessive. Not that it's "wrong" or may not work for you, but from what I've gathered reading on these forums, the best results have come from students that dedicate ~3 months to studying for the exam. But during these 3 months, these students are literally addicted to MCAT studying (5-8 hrs a day, essentially every day). This can be hard for a lot of people who have jobs/other priorities. Just my $0.02.
 
This seems excessive. Not that it's "wrong" or may not work for you, but from what I've gathered reading on these forums, the best results have come from students that dedicate ~3 months to studying for the exam. But during these 3 months, these students are literally addicted to MCAT studying (5-8 hrs a day, essentially every day). This can be hard for a lot of people who have jobs/other priorities. Just my $0.02.

Thumbs up to that. I had gotten a 23 when I took it January of this year. I spent January-April doing 5-8 hours a day and pushed myself, resulted in a 80-90 percentile on the April test. Would've been better if i didn't bomb CARS. My advice echoes the post above, spend 2-3 months doing nothing but MCATs, eat, breath, live it. Keep thinking how much you want it, do lots of practice, use multimedia (Khan videos), and use Anki (spaced repetition). I basically lived in the library those couple months. I woke up, went to library, studied, went home, slept, and rinse/repeat. Another important tip is to always pack your own food, I would eat when I get hungry at the library then go back to studying. Since our brains need glucose to function, providing a steady diet is essential to stay focused and study for extended periods of time. Also, think about exercising regularly and lessen your social life during this time.

1/13/2015: 23 PS 5 V 9 B 9

April percentiles:
C/P: 81-96%
CARS: 36-51% <- WTF
BIO: 79-94%
PSY: 85-100%
Total: 80-90%

On CARS, do not make the same mistake as me. Don't get bogged down by one passage, your first intuitive guess is usually the right one. Don't run out of time and rush at the end because every passage has easy easy questions that you won't get if you are crunched on time.
 
Last edited:
Thumbs up to that. I had gotten a 23 when I took it January of this year. I spent January-April doing 5-8 hours a day and pushed myself, resulted in a 80-90 percentile on the April test. Would've been better if i didn't bomb CARS.

1/13/2015: 23 PS 5 V 9 B 9

April percentiles:
C/P: 81-96%
CARS: 36-51% <- WTF
BIO: 79-94%
PSY: 85-100%
Total: 80-90%
Still, that's an incredible overall score. Congrats.
 
This seems excessive. Not that it's "wrong" or may not work for you, but from what I've gathered reading on these forums, the best results have come from students that dedicate ~3 months to studying for the exam. But during these 3 months, these students are literally addicted to MCAT studying (5-8 hrs a day, essentially every day). This can be hard for a lot of people who have jobs/other priorities. Just my $0.02.
You might be right, but 3 months is definitely not enough while working full time, shadowing, volunteering and applying for this cycle 🙂
 
You might be right, but 3 months is definitely not enough while working full time, shadowing, volunteering and applying for this cycle 🙂
Absolutely agree. 3 months is only sufficient if the MCAT is your #1 priority in life, for the most part, during those months (as nerdy as that sounds).
 
So i am feeling not too good about this cycle (DO) and I am thinking of retaking for the third time the first two were of the old pre 2015 MCAT and I got a 21, then a 24 but I know I didnt study enough
Any study schedules out there worth looking into? what is the best book for this new MCAT? thanks!
i took both old and new MCAT (voided the old), got 90-100 on new. Personally, I like the new one a lot more; I had so much more time. It was reasoning and less content (I know that's contradictory from the added section) but if you feel you can actually do better, then retake. Don't settle for the lower score because you're afraid of the new test. Its really not that bad.
 
I am only worried because I am working full time, do you think that working full time and dedicating weekends and 2-3 hrs evenings for 6 months would be sufficient? I am studying as a backup plan if I dont get in this cycle. I have like 50 backup plans (ranging from caribbean, post-bacc etc) tho haha just trying to see which one is the most plausible
 
I would give yourself time to see how the application season goes, and maybe pick up studying in the new year if nothing is shaking out. I've been working while studying and it's been unpleasant. I think you'll hit a point of fatigue if you legitimately study for 6 months. Alternative: if you heartedly study then you'll likely forget a lot along the way.

I'd sooner take a biochem or psych class (to give you a lot of depth in a newish area, and maybe satisfy a matriculation requirement) and then give yourself a period of 3-4 months to study/review/test for the real deal. Hopefully by then the prep companies and AAMC have more useful material to use.
 
I am only worried because I am working full time, do you think that working full time and dedicating weekends and 2-3 hrs evenings for 6 months would be sufficient? I am studying as a backup plan if I dont get in this cycle. I have like 50 backup plans (ranging from caribbean, post-bacc etc) tho haha just trying to see which one is the most plausible
Only if you can motivate yourself to study for the mcat as just a backup plan ; trust me its not easy. After my may mcat I was going going to keep studying till the June date just in case I did badly. Guess what. Never touched those mcat books once. So make sure if you are going to study, yiu can be dedicated to it bc half assing will only get you another 24 equivalent

Edit: I studied while taking 15 course credits and working 10 hrs/ week. I also did a lot of Ecs. It can be done bc you have 6 months. If you continuously review stuff, you won't forget it (especially if you have a solid background form prereqs). If you want to do well, you will find a way.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad