Thinking about switching to PT, basic questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatdoido

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've looked at a couple of local school's websites and I have a couple of basic questions:

1. I've taken 1 semester of general chemistry w/ lab, 1 year of O chem w/ lab, and 1 quarter of bio chem. Is that enough for the chemistry requirement, or do I still need a second semester of general chemistry?

2. Can I use my MCAT score or do I still need to take the GRE?

3. I've read the minimums of 3.00 gpa and 1000 on GRE for most schools, but I can't find what the average accepted scores are. For medical school, the minimum could be 3.0, but if you didn't have above a 3.5 you really didn't have chance. Is that the same for PT school? (I'm in california if that changes anything)

4. What is the average number of hours of experience for accepted students? I think most schools say a minimum of 40 hours, but how many hours do most people usually have?

5. How do PT schools interpret grades for courses that you retake. Do they average the scores or just take the second score?

6. Is it common to do PT school and become an athletic trainer after? Are there schools with special programs that focus on sports physical therapy?

I was always so intent on medicine, but now that I'm considering switching, I'm very new to physical therapy/athletic trainer careers. Any info would be a huge help. Thanks and Merry Christmas

Members don't see this ad.

Hey...this may not help a lot but I think you really shoul look at the schools you are intereste first so you can really decide because it all really dependson schools. For example, yes a 3.00 GPA and 40 hours and GRE score of 1000 are generaly required but I've seen schools that require either 100 hours or maybe just 40 hours min. but in different settings. The GPA I do not think there is really a way of knowing but I do know that some schools' websites include an average of past applicants' GPAs you just have to really lok around. And also depends for the courses, I found one school that kinesiology can replace one physics for example.....

Eventhough they have generall things the substitutions really depen o the school

ehhh...sorry about all the typos my keyboar gets stock :S

Members don't see this ad :)
a good website to learn about GPA and GRE averages for the schools, along with specific requirements is ptcas.org, however their directory only the schools that used their database for their application process...

1. I'm pretty sure you would still need the second semester of gen chem. Some schools have the 2 gen chems as requirements and orgo and biochem as recommended, so they see them as separate.

2. You will need to take the GRE. Trust me, if you studied and took the MCAT, the GRE will be a piece of cake. XD

3. When they say the min gpa is 3.0, that does still mean you have a chance. Most colleges say their accepted students had gpas ranging from, say, 3.2-3.6 or something like that. So you still do have a chance and don't need a '3.5'.

4. Average numbers I'm not sure of, but schools differ. Some don't require any hours. Others say at least 40. I have been accepted to a PT program and have 100 hours experience.

5. I think that they include or average the 2 scores instead of just taking the 2nd grade. I think they do take it into account if you improved on the 2nd grade though.

6. Not sure about anything dealing with athletic training.

I think you are choosing the better field, for sure. I used to be a pre-med student and knew quickly that med school would not be for me. Good luck with everything!

Most of the PT programs are graduate programs right? which means you have to get a 4 year degree in something?

Most of the PT programs are graduate programs right? which means you have to get a 4 year degree in something?

Yes, that and the required pre-reqs which vary from school to school. However some schools do have 3+3 program where you don't get a bachelor's and go directly into the DPT program.