Medical Thinking about the next steps if not accepted...which would be the best option for my situation??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As February approaches, I am starting to get disheartened by the lack of acceptance so far. I am trying to formulate a plan to see what will be most beneficial to ensure an A if I have to reapply.

For background...cGPA 3.60, sGPA 3.63. I started college back in 2012 when I was not ready and received horrible grades. Took a break from school and went back full-time in 2018. If I only counted the courses I have taken in the last three years, my cGPA 3.86 and sGPA 3.82. I have a strong upward trend, however had some personal things happen and got Cs in Biochem and calc-based Physics last year. I had all As until these two classes and have gone back to all As the last two semesters and shooting for As this semester to graduate.

Due to COVID, had to take MCAT in September and applications weren't complete until the beginning of October. MCAT is 505.

I have strong research - 2 1/2 years, strong extracurriculars: surgical technologist for 7 years, clinical experience in other medical fields, instructor/mentor experience, military veteran, leadership experience, volunteer, and shadowing.

I have some options but don't know which is the best or if there is something better I have not thought of...
I don't think it's smart to reapply straight away and plan to reapply for EY2023.
1.) SMP
2.) Master's
3.) Retake undergrad classes while working full-time

I will be retaking the MCAT in all options - I'm sure on this.

Any advice is welcome!
Your problem is the MCAT. A retake is needed if you’re going to try to reapply to MD schools.

You are good to go for DO now.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! I've just been banging my head trying to figure out what else to improve on. I definitely will be retaking the MCAT and give myself ample time to prepare this time around!
Make sure this time around you do not take it until you have been scoring OVER your goal score. Things happen on test day. You wanna give yourself some cushion

Status
Not open for further replies.