Thinking about upper middle tier programs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benit100

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about what programs I will want to include on my CAS list, but finding it difficult since there are MANY programs I've never heard of. I feel like I have a strong application, but of course I want to apply to a variety of programs to be safer. I've heard from a program director that there are "10-20 programs that everyone knows" and then another 35 or so that are also very strong and will help you get most fellowships you'd be interested in. I think I've compiled a list of the top 15 or so based on Ophthalmology Times and US News, but beyond that I'm a bit lost. I'm definitely planning to do a fellowship and will likely want to end up in academics doing research as well as practicing. Can anyone offer suggestions on where I can find out more about some other top tier or decent middle tier programs that would be a strong basis for an academic career?

Members don't see this ad.

dear benit,

your question is one that we have all asked ourselves before. try to find a faculty member that has seen and been strongly supportive of many students in the ophthalmology match at your home school. these profs tend to be "in the know" of many programs (upper, middle and lower) and will be an invaluable resource as you finalize your distribution list.