thinking of quitting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nrddct

carlover
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm completing my masters program in clinical research right now and will be done in about 3 months, however its been a drag the whole time I've been here. I come in everyday and spend half the day browsing the net b/c theres not enough work to do. I really like visiting the patients in our studies, but I get a dazed look on my face dealing with all the paperwork. I also have do write a paper and do a presentation for my masters and I cant get myself to work on it. Its been worse since I got into kcumb b/c I have zero motivation now. I'm so looking forward to med school but could care less about my masters program right now. Will it reflect badly on my apps if I didn't finish?

Members don't see this ad.

Just stop being a friggin' wus and finish your damn masters.

-H666, MD, PhD

You're not 18, and this isn't your senior year of high school. Do something therapeutic every day (e.g. go for a hike, meditate, run, take a long walk, etc) to help reinvigorate you. Set some short-term goals and focus on attaining those, one at a time. Don't worry about the sum total of what must be done to complete your degree. Piecemeal is the word of the day.

The feeling that you'll have as a result of completing your program will surely surpass the nagging guilt that could result from giving up now.

Hang in there and finish what you started. You can do it!

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope this quote helps you figure out what to do. Winners never quit, and quitters never win........... but if you never win and never quit your an dingus! :laugh:

I completely understand you.!! The last semester of graduate school for me was the WORST and nothing in the world would motivate me. I would spend my whole day dreaming about med school and it seemed like there was no end. I hated being in school writing papers and doing research on something that I was no longer interested in and I was so focused on something that was still so distant. To make a long story short a lot of things happened to me that semester and I didn’t start med school like I had planned. Many things that you have no control over can happen and the best thing for you to do is stay focused and finish. I have since graduated and have absolutely NO REGRETS. I have used my degree a lot more than I ever thought I would. You can do it. Baby steps and it will soon be all over. A lot can happen tomorrow, right now live for today….

thanks for the advice guys, I can always rely on SDN to keep me straight. ;)

ac101ac, were you not able to delay your acceptance a year?

nrddct said:
thanks for the advice guys, I can always rely on SDN to keep me straight. ;)

ac101ac, were you not able to delay your acceptance a year?

Well it was a lot more complicated than just taking a year off and was dealing with a huge family problem and I really just needed to be there for my folks... But this is about you now... You can do it. Don't give up.

I just defended for my masters degree today!!! As much I as hated the whole process, I'm glad I stuck it out. Thanks for the advice guys! Now its truely time to veg out.

Congrats!!! Now, you can enjoy the rest of your time until medical school. See you at KCUMB in August! :)

I was miserable finishing my master's thesis too. This was a few years ago, but I too had plans for moving on, and at the time my master's degree didn't seem all that important. I didn't get along with my boss, I hated my project, I was working 10 hour days, 7 days a week, I never saw my son . . . it was just miserable. I too was ready to quit, with only a few months left to finish. But I tried to remind myself that 3 months isn't *that* long, and that if I just get it done I'll be alot happier in the end. I knew I would regret not finishing. So I just bucked up and did it. It's hard . . . I know, but if you just open up that presentation file and work on it, your mind won't be focused on how much you want to quit. And soon enough you will be done. :)

nrddct said:
I just defended for my masters degree today!!! As much I as hated the whole process, I'm glad I stuck it out. Thanks for the advice guys! Now its truely time to veg out.
Whoops! I'm sorry . . . I posted my reply and didn't see this. I'm glad you finished! Congrats! :thumbup:

Just remember that no matter how bad you think you may have it...someone else is worse off.

Look at it this way, it won't be long and you'll be in Med School (and I'll venture to say there will be times that won't be completely rosy)...suck it up..finish it, and then move on...

At least you're getting a Masters...most people (like me) are in jobs they don't care for and get a paycheck, but other than that, we view it as a waste of time that could be spent pursuing other things!

nrddct said:
I'm completing my masters program in clinical research right now and will be done in about 3 months, however its been a drag the whole time I've been here. I come in everyday and spend half the day browsing the net b/c theres not enough work to do. I really like visiting the patients in our studies, but I get a dazed look on my face dealing with all the paperwork. I also have do write a paper and do a presentation for my masters and I cant get myself to work on it. Its been worse since I got into kcumb b/c I have zero motivation now. I'm so looking forward to med school but could care less about my masters program right now. Will it reflect badly on my apps if I didn't finish?

Don't let a Master's degree go within 3 months of completing it. 10% of our entering medical school class is gone already and the reasons vary from not being able to handle the work academically to family emergencies. You never know what sort of safe life is waiting to drop on your head.

I just wanted to say I'm done!! thanks amyo!