Thinking of Switching Programs: any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sabahan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking of switching programs after my categorical year. I am in a great program but have realized I am totally unhappy at this location. I had a great vibe with the program I am thinking of switching to, the programs are similar in approach just totally different locations. I had a very hard time deciding between the two during ranking. Don’t want to cause any bad blood but I need to be in a place where I am sane and I know for a fact I will be happy at other location. I guess the first thing would be to contact other program and see if they would accept me then talk to my current program.

Any help from anyone who has done this before will be greatly appreciated.

And save me any lectures, I know this would be unfair to the program I am in and other students but at times you have to do what you have to do.

Thanks, Sabahan

Members don't see this ad.

sabahan said:
Thinking of switching programs after my categorical year. I am in a great program but have realized I am totally unhappy at this location. I had a great vibe with the program I am thinking of switching to, the programs are similar in approach just totally different locations. I had a very hard time deciding between the two during ranking. Don’t want to cause any bad blood but I need to be in a place where I am sane and I know for a fact I will be happy at other location. I guess the first thing would be to contact other program and see if they would accept me then talk to my current program.

Any help from anyone who has done this before will be greatly appreciated.

And save me any lectures, I know this would be unfair to the program I am in and other students but at times you have to do what you have to do.

Thanks, Sabahan

You know for a fact that you would be happier at the other location? The grass is alwyas greener I guess.

I think there is someone in my program who switched from another top program, sorry do not know the details. Seems to me that the first thing like you said would be to talk to the other program if you have really made up your mind and do it early enough. Just realize that if you do go ahead with it, you probably will make some people unhappy unless luck is totally on your side.

Wish you all the best, looks like you have a tough decision to make.