Thinking of switching to PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewtoAnes

Reaction score
Currently a CA-1 at a top 20 residency program, but I'm really not feeling it. I always wanted to do Pain Management and I consider myself a people person. I think I'm missing more patient interaction. Anesthesia can be pretty hectic and stressful at times and I know I would not have to deal with any of that in PM&R. I wake up in the morning every day. Setup my OR, do cases, preop patients for next day and that's it. I am starting to dislike the different personalities of people in the OR's, my attendings sometimes make my life miserable for no reason. I'm pretty efficient at what I do and don't suck. I feel like I made a mistake choosing Anesthesia knowing that a lot of people were telling me that i would be perfect in PM&R. Also, I am fairly sure that in PM&R I wouldn't have to take as many tests as I have to take in Anesthesiology residency, like ITE's and ABA Basic and Advanced, Oral boards...

Any suggestions? Has anybody switched before?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You're in a top 20 program in the specialty that matches the most ppl in top pain mgmt fellowships and you want to switch?

Just keep your head down, suck it up, kill your ITEs, and finish residency- the pain match will arrive before you know it. Switching into PMR now if your eventual goal is to do pain is a huge mistake.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Currently a CA-1 at a top 20 residency program, but I'm really not feeling it. I always wanted to do Pain Management and I consider myself a people person. I think I'm missing more patient interaction. Anesthesia can be pretty hectic and stressful at times and I know I would not have to deal with any of that in PM&R. I wake up in the morning every day. Setup my OR, do cases, preop patients for next day and that's it. I am starting to dislike the different personalities of people in the OR's, my attendings sometimes make my life miserable for no reason. I'm pretty efficient at what I do and don't suck. I feel like I made a mistake choosing Anesthesia knowing that a lot of people were telling me that i would be perfect in PM&R. Also, I am fairly sure that in PM&R I wouldn't have to take as many tests as I have to take in Anesthesiology residency, like ITE's and ABA Basic and Advanced, Oral boards...

Any suggestions? Has anybody switched before?

Thank you!

Its natural to feel this way when you start. Give it time. Its new and different and you want to cling to what is familiar/easier/better fit in your mind. Persevere and be left with a great back up option should you change your mind about pain and develop a love for anesthesia. And pain fellowships greatly favor anesthesia applicants. Give it until the end of CA1 year.

Reactions: 1 user
2.5 months in and you're thinking of a career change? Seems a little premature, things will get better.

Also, I am fairly sure that in PM&R I wouldn't have to take as many tests as I have to take in Anesthesiology residency, like ITE's and ABA Basic and Advanced, Oral boards...!

Yes, you should consider the number of exams when making a life altering decision like this. (smh) Sure its fewer tests but as many people throughout this forum have said you'll make your chances of getting into a decent pain fellowship significantly harder.

I'm a PM&R resident currently switching into anesthesia because I was just not feeling fulfilled at the end of the day. You can PM me if you want to talk.

Long story short I went into PM&R only to do pain, and then realized that I'm not sure if I want to do pain. And i DEFINITELY do not want to do PM&R. Also felt like I was wasting my time for 3 years learning something I have 0 interest in just to get a fellowship. But i guess everyone's different. Plenty of people do PM&R just for pain and are perfectly happy.

Last edited:
Best chance to matching pain is still anesthesia

This x100 - it’s still pretty competitive for interventional pain fellowships, and to my knowledge only a handful of programs truly take applicants outside of anesthesia (and even then, many are internal to the institution).

Your CA-1 year just started, give it some time and perform well - then hit up chronic pain.