Third Party FL vs. AAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uchihastan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am currently ~2.5 months into MCAT studying. I took an AAMC FL practice test at the end of October 2021 and scored a 492. I then began TPR course and took a TPR FL a couple weeks into the class and scored a 498. My next two TPR FL scores were 494 and 498 respectively, with the second score of 498 being from this past weekend. I've heard that third party tests are harder than AAMC and even deflated, but my first AAMC being a 492 makes me wonder how much my TPR FLs were really deflated, if that makes sense. My real MCAT is scheduled for April 29 and I am committed to that date because I do want to apply during the 2022-2023 cycle. Based on some research I've done, I understand it would be wise to save the remaining 3 AAMC FL practice tests for closer to my exam date. I'd appreciate any and all advice (and reassurance as this process is quite anxiety inducing haha, but worth it!). Additionally, if you have any tips on how I can find more resources that provide me with questions that moreso resemble the AAMC style prior to me taking the rest of the AAMC FLs, that would be great! Thank you :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I am currently ~2.5 months into MCAT studying. I took an AAMC FL practice test at the end of October 2021 and scored a 492. I then began TPR course and took a TPR FL a couple weeks into the class and scored a 498. My next two TPR FL scores were 494 and 498 respectively, with the second score of 498 being from this past weekend. I've heard that third party tests are harder than AAMC and even deflated, but my first AAMC being a 492 makes me wonder how much my TPR FLs were really deflated, if that makes sense. My real MCAT is scheduled for April 29 and I am committed to that date because I do want to apply during the 2022-2023 cycle. Based on some research I've done, I understand it would be wise to save the remaining 3 AAMC FL practice tests for closer to my exam date. I'd appreciate any and all advice (and reassurance as this process is quite anxiety inducing haha, but worth it!). Additionally, if you have any tips on how I can find more resources that provide me with questions that moreso resemble the AAMC style prior to me taking the rest of the AAMC FLs, that would be great! Thank you :D
Hi! In my experience, my TPR score was SUPER deflated (I know this is n=1). I decided to add in the extra resource after taking a couple of AAMC FLs and scored 10 points lower on the TPR exam than any of my previous practice exams. My final MCAT score was much more reflective of my AAMC practice material than anything else that I did. I honestly found the greatest boost in my score to come from doing U-World questions (which I know are expensive and inaccessible), though you don't get a full-length test experience out of them. I wish I had a better answer for you, but I would just say don't be discouraged by a low TPR score, esp bc you have been studying since you took that first AAMC FL! Maybe you can take another within the next month to track your progress and see if you feel comfortable sitting for the 4/29 MCAT. Regardless, good luck to you and you can do this!