Third-party plans/discounts?

Started by alferec
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alferec said:
What does "third party plan" or "third party discount" mean? Are they talking about vision plans? And what's so bad about this?

Check this article out to see what I mean:
http://www.revoptom.com/archive/issue/ro06f6.htm
I did not read the article but a third party plan usually refers to vision plans in the optometry world . What is bad about this is the pay. For example I charge $99 for an exam(private pay pt.) the vision plans pay b/t $30 and $67. In addition some plans don't pay you cl fitting's and they only pay a dispensing fee when they pick from selected frames. In a nut shell you are getting 30% to 50% less.
 
HOLLYWOOD said:
I did not read the article but a third party plan usually refers to vision plans in the optometry world . What is bad about this is the pay. For example I charge $99 for an exam(private pay pt.) the vision plans pay b/t $30 and $67. In addition some plans don't pay you cl fitting's and they only pay a dispensing fee when they pick from selected frames. In a nut shell you are getting 30% to 50% less.

Well apparently this optometrist featured in the article does not cater to people with vision plans and does comprehensive exams for $50 and comp. exam + CL fitting for $65 (pretty cheap!!!). It seems that he's doing pretty well too. Do you think this is a realistic strategy??? In what conditions would this not work?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
stompy said:
for people that can't afford health insurance?

Are you saying that this strategy would work in an area of low income?