US-Style Vision Plans in Canada - An Association Position Statement

Started by qwopty99
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can any of you who are knowledgeable in the area (e.g. KHE), please share your thoughts? The association is recommending that we do not sign up with these, whereas I know the majority advice on these boards, is to sign up.

Where does the discrepancy lie? Thanks much.
 
Last edited:
I'd tell you to avoid the "vision plan" at all costs. Canadians have the perfect opportunity to tell these blood sucking parasites to piss off. Every bad thing you hear about these plans is TRUE. Every good thing you here about these plans is FALSE.

The only reason US ODs do resort to taking these plans is because we are oversaturated to the point that many ODs provide refractive services at bargain basment prices.
 
Got this email in my inbox today from the provincial association I'm a member of. I guess this shows why I never really understood all the advice regarding "insurance panels" all these years - cause Canada doesn't have them. But it seems like we might be getting them.

Can any of you who are knowledgeable in the area (e.g. KHE), please have a look at this email, and share your thoughts? The association is recommending that we do not sign up with these, whereas I know the majority advice on these boards, is to sign up.

Where does the discrepancy lie? Thanks much.

------------------------------------------------

There is no way I can read through an email that long. lol.

But as with any managed care situation, the best advice I can give is that each person has to evaluate the reimbursements and the administrative issues of each individual plan and then make a decision as to whether to sign up or not.

In the USA, IN GENERAL, "vision plans" are a royal pain in the ass.