Third Time Applicant Nursing Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gingerbreadcookie1219

LSU SVM C/O 2025
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am applying to LSU vet school a third time this cycle. First time I applied in 2017 I was denied admission (GPA wasn’t there yet). I am an untraditional student and have a degree in something unrelated and took my prerequisites as a post bach student and had to retake a few science classes. I have large animal experience as a vet tech and personal experience as I have horses. I have small animal experience as a vet tech at two different practices. Not sure what the hours are, but worked as a tech while taking prerequisites for 3 years. I applied again last year with a 3.72 prerequisite gpa, 3.82 last 45 hour gpa, and 296 GRE. I got an interview, but ended up dropping my application. I am currently in a 2 year registered nursing program that I applied to after being denied admission the first time and will finish spring of 2021. Even though I am in nursing school the passion is not there, I am not happy and have not been able to let go of my dream of becoming a veterinarian. I would really appreciate opinions on what I need to do to strengthen my application. I made 10 hours of B’s last semester in nursing school so it brought my last 45 hour GPA down some (not sure how admission committee will feel about that). I’m assuming I’ll need to explain why I’m in nursing school and why I dropped my application last application cycle. I honestly want to finish nursing school since I started it and only have 2 semesters left. Please help me! Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Applying to LSU vet school (no others due to OOS tuition and other obligations)
Prerequisite GPA: 3.72
Last 45 Hour GPA: 3.6
GRE: 296 (not great I hated the GRE)

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know what you don’t like about nursing school, but I would make sure it won’t be compounded being a veterinarian. Not enough here to evaluate your chances without the format that presents a full picture of your experiences.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t know anything about LSU, but am jumping in here as a nurse that is now a DVM student. Definitely finish that nursing degree, take the NCLEX, and renew your license indefinitely; you never know when it may come in handy. I’m looking into a summer contract to make some good $$$ over break, much more than as a vet tech.

Also, I saw you mention how you weren’t sure how an admission committee would feel about your last 45. I assume you’ve looked at the statistics and admissions breakdown? Applicant Selection

You could maybe consider a summer/online class to get a last minute A if it might help you.

Being a nontrad student definitely has benefits. You have different experiences compared to traditional students, you provide diversity, and I would say it’s safe to say you have a better idea of what you want in life.

Did you also say you withdrew your app last year? That may need an explanation this time around too.

But anyway, I’m no expert, just wanted to say keep on pushing through and you’ll get where you want to be. (And don’t let your RN license lapse!)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s not that I hate nursing school. I like learning disease process and how that translates to signs and symptoms and how the disease and/or signs and symptoms are treated, but I am not passionate about nursing care. I don’t have the drive to be a nurse that I have to be a veterinarian because being a veterinarian is my dream and passion. I truly believe I was born to be a veterinarian. I chose nursing as an alternative to vet school when I was denied acceptance the first time and because I was scared of the amount of money it costs. As I am going through nursing school I am realizing more and more that veterinarian medicine is the only thing I want to do and cannot let it go.
This answer though is a red flag. I don’t see anything here that won’t go away with being a vet.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the typical day like in your head if you were a veterinarian?
I anticipate it to be long and grueling many days. I also anticipate it to be stressful many days. I anticipate the dedication it takes and time it consumes. I am fully aware that the veterinarian is the one who is calling the shots and is, therefore, ultimately responsible. I have worked along side veterinarians on the racetrack before the sun comes up until after the sun goes down on week days, weekends, and holidays. I have worked from 7am to 6pm at a small animal practice and then gone and worked after hours/emergency until 12pm (if we were lucky and didn’t get slammed). Again on week days, weekends, and holidays. Not to mention the emergency farm calls in the middle of the night. Not to mention the not so great pay, especially as a new grad. I am also aware of the job market and believe me it looks like crap compared to nursing. I am fully aware of what I am getting myself into, but I’d rather do all of the above as a veterinarian plus more than to be a nurse. I have a sense of belonging in vet med that I do not have in nursing. Nursing has its pros and cons as well. I am aware that as a nurse I will have the opportunity to work on units where once my shift is over I go home. Working three 12hr shifts a week sounds nice, but it’s not what my heart wants to do. The passion is not there. Nursing is also stressful and there is a lot of responsibility that comes with that too, but ultimately being a veterinarian is who I am as a person and it will never go away. I will always have the burning desire and longing to be a veterinarian. Sorry for the length and I appreciate your responses.

I got an interview, but ended up dropping my application. I am currently in a 2 year registered nursing program that I applied to after being denied admission the first time and will finish spring of 2021. Even though I am in nursing school the passion is not there, I am not happy and have not been able to let go of my dream of becoming a veterinarian.

Be prepared to explain why you dropped your application. (I think it shows maturity to finish your current program.)

Also, be prepared to explain your understanding of the differences in the fields and why you believe vet med will make you happy when a similar field does not. Simply saying, "I just don't fit in to nursing like I do to vet med" isn't going to cut it, to be blunt.

Your numbers seem acceptable.

Be prepared to explain why you dropped your application. (I think it shows maturity to finish your current program.)

Also, be prepared to explain your understanding of the differences in the fields and why you believe vet med will make you happy when a similar field does not. Simply saying, "I just don't fit in to nursing like I do to vet med" isn't going to cut it, to be blunt.

Your numbers seem acceptable.
Thank you for your input. Do you mind reading what I posted in a reply above (if you haven’t already) I am fully aware of all of the ugly in vet med and am still being pulled back to it and think about it every day of my life.

Thank you for your input. Do you mind reading what I posted in a reply above (if you haven’t already) I am fully aware of all of the ugly in vet med and am still being pulled back to it and think about it every day of my life.
Yes, I have read that :) I think it's great to acknowledge that this will be tough, but you don't really show that you've pondered the actual differences.

"Working three 12hr shifts a week sounds nice, but it’s not what my heart wants to do."
What does "your heart want to do"?

"Nursing is also stressful and there is a lot of responsibility that comes with that too,"
So why the stress of being a vet over that of a nurse?

"but ultimately being a veterinarian is who I am as a person and it will never go away. I will always have the burning desire and longing to be a veterinarian."
Again being blunt here, but this is just too lovey-dovey, pie-in-the-sky kind of stuff in my opinion. You sound like a teenager writing a poem to their secret crush, not a mature adult who has arrived at the decision to pursue vet med. You can absolutely be excited about the field, but tone down the "vet med is my passion and nothing else will compared EVERRRRR" vibe.

If it were me, I would highlight what about nursing you don't like (specifically) and counter that with what about vet med is different that will be more fulfilling. I hope this is helpful :)

Yes, I have read that :) I think it's great to acknowledge that this will be tough, but you don't really show that you've pondered the actual differences.

"Working three 12hr shifts a week sounds nice, but it’s not what my heart wants to do."
What does "your heart want to do"?

"Nursing is also stressful and there is a lot of responsibility that comes with that too,"
So why the stress of being a vet over that of a nurse?

"but ultimately being a veterinarian is who I am as a person and it will never go away. I will always have the burning desire and longing to be a veterinarian."
Again being blunt here, but this is just too lovey-dovey, pie-in-the-sky kind of stuff in my opinion. You sound like a teenager writing a poem to their secret crush, not a mature adult who has arrived at the decision to pursue vet med. You can absolutely be excited about the field, but tone down the "vet med is my passion and nothing else will compared EVERRRRR" vibe.

If it were me, I would highlight what about nursing you don't like (specifically) and counter that with what about vet med is different that will be more fulfilling. I hope this is helpful :)
Thank you! It is helpful! I’m sure they hear the lovey dovey thing non stop. I’ve got some work to do. I’m not the best with coming up with words it’s like pulling teeth so you have definitely helped give me direction.