Third year DO Student Chances of Matching General Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docblock1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a DO student interested in matching into General Surgery preferably in the southeast. I have a 24X Step 1 and 64X Comlex 1 and have done well on rotations since. I have 0 Research experience and I have had no luck in finding any or much extracurricular activities done during medical school apart from being a member of 2 clubs. The only volunteer hours I have are from College. Is it possible to match General Surgery solely based on doing well third year, doing well on step 2 and doing away rotations? Please give me some guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From what I've seen in this cycle so far is that your scores and auditions will get you a lot of looks from the community places. You might snag a university level invite or two, but the DO's I'm seeing grab the university invites are the ones with solid research on their apps. But to answer your question, yes it is definitely possible to match GS with just your academics as they stand right now.

I'll be able to give more specific advice after March.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
From what I've seen in this cycle so far is that your scores and auditions will get you a lot of looks from the community places. You might snag a university level invite or two, but the DO's I'm seeing grab the university invites are the ones with solid research on their apps. But to answer your question, yes it is definitely possible to match GS with just your academics as they stand right now.

I'll be able to give more specific advice after March.

This was actually very helpful! I appreciate your insight! After March please do provide as much advice as your able to. It will be closer to when I begin applying to Aways as well. Good luck with the match this year!

Reactions: 1 user