Third year elective advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guitarguy23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Used the search option-couldn't find a relevant thread.

Just to "piggy-back" off my last thread-I want to see what the smart choice was:

Should I use my third year electives to see something I'm reasonably sure I want to practice, or something on the periphery that I may have an interest in but haven't learned a lot about?

We have been told that third years are best served doing an elective in an "outside" interest rather than a potential career choice.

How can I use my third year electives most effectively? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not interested in one of the core specialties (Peds, Family, Surgery, IM, OB, Psych), then do a rotation in what you think you want to go into, so you can decide if you like it or not. If it turns out you don't like it, you can explore other specialties and try to get into those electives at the beginning of fourth year, so you can secure letters prior to application deadlines.

If you are planning on going into one of the core specialties, do something else, like PM&R, Anesthesia, etc that you wouldn't otherwise get exposed to during third year.