Third year elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr Roboto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO student. Our school gives us one elective rotation in third year. Mine is scheduled as my second rotation. Just got Step 1 score back and did somewhat unexpectedly very well (>260). I have almost no idea what I’m interested in doing for residency. What the heck do I pick as an elective??

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not needing to do a rotation in support of your app for a specialty, common wisdom is to sign up for something that is likely to help your future practice.

If you're going to be a generalist of some sort (FM, IM, peds, EM, heck even ob/gyn, etc) or a general cutter, some ideas include:

-EM (required at some schools, but I am of the opinion that the vast majority of docs need some exposure to and comfort dealing with medical emergencies. I saw someone complain of sudden onset of chest pain that had aortic distension and was at imminent risk of MI or dissection, while they were at the opthalmologist's office. They didn't seem to know what to do. Obviously that needed kicked to the ED, still. Emergencies are emergencies and can happen anywhere. I as a doc want some experience with initial care no matter what I'm doing.)

Most intern/prelim years includes an EM rotation - even psych. In fact, psychs are MD/DOs because they *do* need some basis in somatic medicine and recognizing medical emergencies.

-Rads

-I had to do a surgical elective, and did ENT. What I learned has frequently been useful in generalist practice.

-More ICU - again, how useful this is depends on how much your school exposes you to, and what you go into. It's useful for a lot of specialties. My school it wasn't a requirement, I didn't do it prior to my intern year, and I suffered greatly for it.

-Derm (again, more useful for generalists. Skin care is an entire major issue to be managed inpt, as a doc you will always be shown rashes, and in a lot of specialties it's more or less going to be useful. You aren't going to call derm for every rash, and you do need to know when to call them.

-I know psych students that did more neuro or a neurosurgery rotation. Again, might be useful for generalists too.

-These are just a few ideas. At my school there was the chance to take something 3rd year elective instead of vacation, and it freed up MS4 time. I tried to knock out a requirement and then used the MS4 time for extra subI, vacation, interviews. If you can do something you have to do anyway for graduation and save that elective time for later, that might not be a bad idea.

-However, you can also use this time to get exposure to something you are considering but wouldn't get a crack at until closer to ERAS. The more you can experience and learn before MS4 the better poised you will be for choosing/applying to a specialty.

Reactions: 2 users
DO student. Our school gives us one elective rotation in third year. Mine is scheduled as my second rotation. Just got Step 1 score back and did somewhat unexpectedly very well (>260). I have almost no idea what I’m interested in doing for residency. What the heck do I pick as an elective??

Thanks for any advice.

Gas? That wasn’t mentioned above. Little early as second rotation, but so is everything else. With that score, certainly a lot of possibilities are open for you as well.

Road to happiness.

Some surgical subspecialties? What’s your first rotation. If it’s more IM related, I may choose something within medicine. If it’s surgery, then go within that field. So you at least have idea of what’s going on?

Good luck, OP.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd vote ICU as something that helps regardless of what you want to do and can never get enough of (acute, inpatient, fair amount of procedures) but intense and may not be appropriate as a second rotation unless your first rotation is something like IM.

If going for oddball but general experiences, Rad/Path/Derm/Ophtho/Ortho is something that most people won't get enough of even through residency and could be useful. IM sub-specialties like cardio/endo/rheum could be good general rotations as well.

But having an elective so early is kind of hard, especially if you don't have a specialty you are aiming for, can you substitute in a required rotation to free up time later?

Reactions: 2 users
My first rotation is peds outpatient... so I figured EM, ICU, and IM subspecialties would be unlikely to let me rotate due to inexperience. This elective isn’t allowed to replace a later rotation and per our clinical director, “it takes an act of god to switch your rotation schedule.” We are required to do EM, ICU, and a surgical subspecialty rotation in fourth year I believe.

Apparently we’re able to apply to get a research rotation, but since I haven’t done research yet/don’t have any lined up that would be an odd direction for me to go.

Maybe I’ll try to do a Derm rotation. That seems useful and (hopefully) isn’t dependent on prereqs. I’d considered neurosurgery just because a friend is a resident at the local program and wanted me to join him for a month.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply, appreciate the help!