Third Year of Residency--Options

Started by Obsessed
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Obsessed

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently in my third year of residency, and will start fellowship next year. I completed medical school in 2008, and had to take out loans throughout this time. Between medical school and residency, I consolidated with Direct Loans. I understand that during your third year of residency, you can only put your loans over into forbearance, correct? After this time, as a fellow, I will be able to defer my loans through the graduate fellowship application. I just want to make sure I have done the correct option during this third year. Thank you.