1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

This Average Joe Wants to Know if Theres Hope

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Havel, May 1, 2007.

1. Havel

Havel Newb
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I've been in school for most of the 20 years of my short life. Over those years I have accumulated many grades. It has taken me until now to relize that I am just an average student. I make A's and B's with a few C's mixed in for spice, but mostly I'm just a B student. Science classes are very difficult for me but I work hard, and I want to be a dentist. So is there really any hope for a hopelessly average student to make it into dental school?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LNinlove

LNinlove Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Do a search for the under 3.0 club...there is always hope! You are above average...last time I checked average was a 2.0.

4. Envision

Envision Envisioning...
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Average for grad school?

5. tooth decay

tooth decay science officer
    2+ Year Member

I think the biggest aspect of your academic life that needs to change, besides your grades, is your defeatist attitude. You sound like you are ready to surrender even before you have begun applying.

6. DJ Quik

DJ Quik Future Podiatrist
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    with my brains and your work ethic, I have no doubt you could get in.
    In all reality though, if you are under 3.0, Unless you are a minority, most schools will fill there class before they even look at your other qualifications. Ask me how I know.
    If you can manage a 3.2 or better though, with a decent DAT, you should get in somewhere.

Best of Luck
    :luck:

7. DDSY

DDSY Bright Lights at Night
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    With A's and B's and few C's, your average should be above 3.0. You still have a pretty good shot of getting into dental school with a decent DAT score.

8. jigabodo

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    You're not hopeless. Just make sure you do enough EC and to make up for the grade, (If you are lacking) but most importantly, do well on the DAT and apply early.

9. remify

remify Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    right now, it's difficult to be average and get into dental school. you've got to find your niche and excel in something.

10. AnonymousADCOM

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    nope

11. Fonz

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm not gonna lie to ya. I hope you're good at rock climbing because it gonna be an uphill battle...........

It depends how much you want it. Honestly I think if you really really want it you would be putting more effort into getting better grades. You could do some post bacc stuff to raise your GPA. Do a substantial amount of volunteering in the dental field and general volunteering. If there is some way you can get to know d-school profs or adcom members then do it (Sometimes its who you know as they say). Do some manual dexterity stuff like sculpting or a musical instrument. Join a program for pre-dents.

12. Dauber

Dauber Big Baby Jesus
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

You're only 20 so you have plenty of time to finish out your schooling with mostly A's. Work had at your science to show you can get A's in them; you don't have to elaborate on how hard you had to bust your ass for them when you fill out an application/go to interview. But if you struggle with science, what do you expect dental school to be like? It's physiology, pharmacology, pathology, biochem, etc. Good luck.

13. Veneto

Veneto Member
    5+ Year Member

This is not true. There is no amount of Extra Curriculars that will make up for bad grades. The chances are one in a million. I dont care if you build a mission that gives free dentistry to impoverished South American countries. This will only tell adcoms that you are really good at building free dental clinics and that is a huge talent in and of itself. Now if you have good grades, and DAT scores and build that mission in South America there is someone they are looking for. I have said this a million times but here it is again, the only thing that will help bad DAT scores or bad grades is getting better DAT scores and better grades. Everything else like EC's, LOR's, and shadowing or dental working experience is only useful after they deem you to have the raw scores that are worth looking at. It's that simple.