Jun 6, 2013
The Woodland Realm
Status
Pharmacist
The larger issue we see is patients ordering medications online, whether it be from the US or another country.

My problem with this:
If you won't drink their water, why do you take their pills??

PharmEcon

5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2011
Status
Pharmacy Student
The larger issue we see is patients ordering medications online, whether it be from the US or another country.

My problem with this:
Yep, this is pharmacy's equivalent to medical tourism. I don't agree that all foreign ordering is bad though. There are plenty of good suppliers outside the country- it is the bad ones that are an issue and they reason they sell so much is probably a combo of domestic laws that make importation illegal (generally) and a system that has created absurd price differences internationally.

Ackj

10+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
My problem with this:
Yes, but those same pills are ending up in your pharmacy. I used to think the old people who would ask where stuff was manufactured were kind of wacky, but you read about all of these recalls and investigations that discover putrid conditions, and it makes you think twice. It's not as simple as saying all foreign suppliers are bad, but unfortunately you can't always assume that all FDA approved generics are good either. Once the inspection ends and the FDA has given the OK, we have seen cases where the quality slides when the watchful eye is turned.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fda-stops-11-indian-made-drugs-from-entering-us/

PharmEcon

5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2011
Status
Pharmacy Student
Yes, but those same pills are ending up in your pharmacy. I used to think the old people who would ask where stuff was manufactured were kind of wacky, but you read about all of these recalls and investigations that discover putrid conditions, and it makes you think twice. It's not as simple as saying all foreign suppliers are bad, but unfortunately you can't always assume that all FDA approved generics are good either. Once the inspection ends and the FDA has given the OK, we have seen cases where the quality slides when the watchful eye is turned.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fda-stops-11-indian-made-drugs-from-entering-us/
The Ranbaxy case was huge, but this is hardly limited to generics or outside-the-US manufacturing. See Novartis' issues at its OTC plant in Lincoln, Nebraska.