This can't be real life.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this real life? Is this reality?

Just another poster saying it's not impossible. For instance, I'm in a prolific (actually, on of the most prolific) chemistry labs, where turn-around time is pretty quick--about as quick as you can set up reactions. The PI has the grad students publish every semester, so coupled with early involvement, and maybe being in a second lab and summer internships, 20 isn't impossible, but maybe close to the upper limit.
Very cool.

I love LOVE LOVE research. ugh...so sad all this talent will go to waste since no md acceptance right now.

Members don't see this ad.

See, this is where I disagree with people.

The topic does matter. If adcom can't look at it and just "get it", then your research is of little value to them. My research has very real impacts (global oxygen supply). But it is a little abstract, and therefore people just don't get it, which leads to people undervaluing the hard work you have done.

Following passion =\= success for medical school. I wish someone told me this.
Don't know anything about your situation obviously, but it doesn't seem likely your research prevented you from getting in. Sure, med schools are biased and it may not have been the huge plus it could've been, but it wouldn't have been a negative. I'm sure there were other contributing factors to your lack of acceptances. Just making educated guesses, don't flip out.

Reactions: 1 users
Is this real life? Is this reality?

Just another poster saying it's not impossible. For instance, I'm in a prolific (actually, on of the most prolific) chemistry labs, where turn-around time is pretty quick--about as quick as you can set up reactions. The PI has the grad students publish every semester, so coupled with early involvement, and maybe being in a second lab and summer internships, 20 isn't impossible, but maybe close to the upper limit.

Never said it was impossible? I stated she made it seem like it was feasible, which means it's easily possible to do. She thought every undergraduate applying to medical school has been published during their four years, which is not the case or the norm. I realize there are labs that can do that, but that's not the majority.

@Xenoblade, lol wut. You don't need a 40 MCAT to do MD/PhD. Maybe you're just REALLY picky on what schools you'd like to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
~ 10 of the latter.

I ran my own project.

Got 1 pub (main author) with abstract (counts as 2)
4 posters
2 talks

I forgot what else counts as "pubs". I would have gone md/phd route, but my mcat didn't break 40.
Got 3 grants too.

Trust me, med schools don't care about these things. They didn't give me the time of day. Not sitting on an MD acceptance right now. :(

I also edited my PI's paper (grammar wasn't his strong suit), but got no credit due to the politics of the game.

No MD acceptance with me either. I ran my own project and published several papers, they didn't mention any of the projects once.

~ 10 of the latter.

I ran my own project.

Got 1 pub (main author) with abstract (counts as 2)
4 posters
2 talks

I forgot what else counts as "pubs". I would have gone md/phd route, but my mcat didn't break 40.
Got 3 grants too.

Trust me, med schools don't care about these things. They didn't give me the time of day. Not sitting on an MD acceptance right now. :(

I also edited my PI's paper (grammar wasn't his strong suit), but got no credit due to the politics of the game.
When you say got one pub with abstract do you mean the topic of the paper was submitted as an abstract first to a conference or journal? Because essentially all pubs have abtracts attached and that counts as one.

Further you not being on a paper for doing grammar work is not politics. Based on the scientific standard, you didnt deserve to be on that paper. If you did, so would the editorial staff combing through it at the journal of submission. This is why i am always very clear to students on what their authorship potential is with me, because not all work on a project merits publication. This includes editing and lit review (unless a review article) though i do try to put people on it when possible even if ttheir contribution was minor.

Reactions: 5 users
People can say anything they want. Doesn't make it true.

Friend said he knew a childhood friend who had a 45 MCAT and 4.0 GPA. Said this friend also had first-name publications in Nature and Science. He said he got accepted to Harvard. I look up this guy, find him doing residency in the NYC area, and says he went to med school in St. George. Confront friend about it, and he says this guy was not given a full scholarship, so to "spite" Harvard and the rest of the Ivy Leagues he was accepted to, he decided to go to St. George to up their stats.

He said it's true because he grew up with the guy.

People can say anything they want. Doesn't make it true.

Friend said he knew a childhood friend who had a 45 MCAT and 4.0 GPA. Said this friend also had first-name publications in Nature and Science. He said he got accepted to Harvard. I look up this guy, find him doing residency in the NYC area, and says he went to med school in St. George. Confront friend about it, and he says this guy was not given a full scholarship, so to "spite" Harvard and the rest of the Ivy Leagues he was accepted to, he decided to go to St. George to up their stats.

He said it's true because he grew up with the guy.
More like his friend lied to your friend and the latter believes the former BECAUSE they grew up together.

When you say got one pub with abstract do you mean the topic of the paper was submitted as an abstract first to a conference or journal? Because essentially all pubs have abtracts attached and that counts as one.

Further you not being on a paper for doing grammar work is not politics. Based on the scientific standard, you didnt deserve to be on that paper. If you did, so would the editorial staff coming through it at the journal of submission. This is why i am always very clear to students on what their authorship potential with me, because not all work on a project merits publication. This includes editing and lit review (unless a review article) though i do try to put people on it when possible even if ttheir contribution was minor.
There is a thank you/acknowledgement section. It would have been nice to be named there, given the amount of work I put there. I got a good lor, but still. Being named in a published paper would have been nice and (arguably) appropriate.

Never said it was impossible? I stated she made it seem like it was feasible, which means it's easily possible to do. She thought every undergraduate applying to medical school has been published during their four years, which is not the case or the norm. I realize there are labs that can do that, but that's not the majority.

@Xenoblade, lol wut. You don't need a 40 MCAT to do MD/PhD. Maybe you're just REALLY picky on what schools you'd like to attend.
haha, there are circumstances where 38-40 is needed at a regular md/phd program.

There is a thank you/acknowledgement section. It would have been nice to be named there, given the amount of work I put there. I got a good lor, but still. Being named in a published paper would have been nice and (arguably) appropriate.

Certainly nice to be thanked in a paper but not the same as published in a paper. You can still say you participated in the paper, so it doesnt weaken your paper vs being acknowledged in the thankyou section.

Certainly nice to be thanked in a paper but not the same as published in a paper. You can still say you participated in the paper, so it doesnt weaken your paper vs being acknowledged in the thankyou section.
Well, I don't think that is worth mentioning, given I have my own publication under my belt.

But what do I know? I cannot get in.

Well, I don't think that is worth mentioning, given I have my own publication under my belt.

But what do I know? I cannot get in.
Make a WAMC post and SDN can almost definitely give pointers on where your app went south. A lot better than repeatedly saying you didn't get in imo

Reactions: 1 user
Very cool.

I love LOVE LOVE research. ugh...so sad all this talent will go to waste since no md acceptance right now.

FYI, once you get your eventual MD acceptance, it is possible to apply to enter the MD/PhD program even after you've matriculated and within the first two years of medical school. One of my dearest friends applied during his second year and will be starting his PhD this summer.

Reactions: 1 user
Make a WAMC post and SDN can almost definitely give pointers on where your app went south. A lot better than repeatedly saying you didn't get in imo
I've spoken to individuals who reviewed my application. There are no red flags.

FYI, once you get your eventual MD acceptance, it is possible to apply to enter the MD/PhD program even after you've matriculated and within the first two years of medical school. One of my dearest friends applied during his second year and will be starting his PhD this summer.
Fingers crossed I get in.