This heap of paper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On its way to me is (and I quote) "a whole ton (I'm not kidding!) of paperwork we'll need you to fill out."

Presumably the contract is in there.

What am I supposed to be keeping an eye out for while I readi t over? Is this something I show my lawyer? :confused: I mean, I already matched, right? It isn't as if I'm going to pull out of this position because I found something disagreeable in the contract.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

The match contract is basically a statement where you are accepting the position and state you aren't planning on going anywhere else. People leave residency programs all the time, so I don't think it binds you there for 4 years regardless. It is just so they can finalize their new residents for the upcoming year (in case someone has had a change of heart or something).

In the paperwork are a lot of (probably) licensing applications, hospital ID forms, graduate medical education, health care history, etc etc etc. Mine was basically just filling out my name and address on a bunch of papers and checking off a box here and there, for forms that go to various departments.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't wait to get my heap of paper. I don't think it comes for a couple of weeks.

Finished at 4:30pm but staying late in hospital scratching my head over this heap of paper.

What on earth is copay vs. coverage? Do I really need to read through the 5-page comparison of benefits table to decide between the "economy class" and the "gold class" health insurance plans?

And don't give me that live first class crap! :mad: :laugh: :laugh:

AndyMilonakis said:
gotta live first class to be first class.
*hands spoon to Andy*

And there I thought you were going to be helpful :p

I am so seriously. Do I grow more grey by having my two options explained to me over the phone or do I assume that this is like choosing between white and brown bread - a healthy young female really does not need a $69/month insurance plan?

High copay = higher coverage and/or lower premiums. As a healthy individual with certain tidbits of medical knowledge stored in the cerebral cortex and a medical connection or two, I'd say go for high copays - since you're not likely to run to the doc (and pay) every week, but would probably like fairly low premiums and catastrophic coverage if something really bad happens...

deschutes said:
*hands spoon to Andy*

And there I thought you were going to be helpful :p

I am so seriously. Do I grow more grey by having my two options explained to me over the phone or do I assume that this is like choosing between white and brown bread - a healthy young female really does not need a $69/month insurance plan?
You've known me long enough on these forums to know that I am rarely helpful.

Anyways, go with the lower premium/higher copay if you're healthy.

Members don't see this ad :)
In terms of health coverage, almost every place will probably have a default setting which is probably the best deal and the best plan for someone without any dependents or serious health issues. So my suggestion is just go with that one.

As for my list of huggable people, that is private. ;)

Holy crap! I got this big ol' packet in the mail. Inside the envelope were a bunch of forms half of which I can't even fill out at this time :laugh:

Office address? negatory
License #? haha very funny

Oh well, I guess I'll start the other half of the forms after watching more Seinfeld. :)

AndyMilonakis said:
Holy crap! I got this big ol' packet in the mail. Inside the envelope were a bunch of forms half of which I can't even fill out at this time :laugh:

Office address? negatory
License #? haha very funny

Oh well, I guess I'll start the other half of the forms after watching more Seinfeld. :)
Nice, isn't it? :laugh:

geddy said:
Nice, isn't it? :laugh:
Oh it's soooo fun scrambling through random documents so that I fill in the info all correctly 'n all. Apparently, I gots to have my school send them a letter to explain the "leave of absence". Yippee. More work. I'm starting to come up with one of those checklists...kinda like the ones you use on clinical medicine rotations...yeah, the ones with those stupid little check boxes...yay.

These people are at Har-vah-duh. You would think they would be able to figure out your "leave of absence" without a letter from your school!

I woke up from my post-call nap with a jump because I realized I forgot to stop by the Occupational Health office to pick up all my pre-clerkship immunization records! :thumbdown:

I know - getting all those forms was really annoying because I was like, "Duh, I am MOVING THERE in a couple of months and obviously I don't know my address yet. So why are you asking me?"

And too many application forms, etc.

That is going to be a bother for you, I think. They will be annoying in all the paperwork they will make you fill out.

I am supposed to fill out a form with dates I received such and such shots. It is to be verified and signed by an MD/RN. Evidently I have been cleared for clerkship in the past.

Of course, the Occupational Health office doesn't fill out forms, nor sign them.

What do I do, get my surgery preceptor to sign this?? :confused:

Have you done rotations in the US though? Because the US is much much much worse when it comes to being pains in the ass about medical paperwork and having people in charge who have no idea what to do about different results. At least, I think so.

I cannot believe the amount of paperwork I have to fill out... geez... there should be a law against wasteful paper stuff. I am also required to get 3 MORE letters of peer review... meaning I have to ask 3 more attendings for letters stating that I would be an okay doctor to practice...geez... isn't the match enough already?

Yeah - I had to get those letters too - wtf is up with that? I needed 3 letters of reference, and they all had to be from my home institution. Since one of my LORs was from outside, that wasn't acceptable and I had to ask someone in the path department to write another one. :thumbdown: :mad: It's as if they don't realize that you have to go through enough hoops already in order to match. Here's the thing, if you succeeded in matching there, are they really going to discover something about you that is going to change things this late in the game?

EvilNewbie said:
I cannot believe the amount of paperwork I have to fill out... geez... there should be a law against wasteful paper stuff.
:laugh: The irony is that - I think there is one! I saw it somewhere. The Reduction of Paperwork Act, or something to that effect. I believe it was on the I-9.

Yeah, about these three letters of reference...do people just use their LORs from their residency application? Or do all 3 letters have to be brand new letters?

EvilNewbie said:
I am also required to get 3 MORE letters of peer review... meaning I have to ask 3 more attendings for letters stating that I would be an okay doctor to practice...geez... isn't the match enough already?

wtf, 3 letters AFTER the bloody match? for what the hell do they need it? is it mandatory everywhere?
Are these guys a part of the International sadists guild or what?

yaah said:
Yeah - I had to get those letters too - wtf is up with that? I needed 3 letters of reference, and they all had to be from my home institution. Since one of my LORs was from outside, that wasn't acceptable and I had to ask someone in the path department to write another one. :thumbdown: :mad: It's as if they don't realize that you have to go through enough hoops already in order to match. Here's the thing, if you succeeded in matching there, are they really going to discover something about you that is going to change things this late in the game?
so the other 2 letters from your home institution didn't have to get written fresh?

dude, i'm gonna be a bit miffed if some paperwork prevents me from starting residency. :laugh:

yaah said:

What if you didnt get those letters? I dont think they would be allowed to reneg on their match contractual obligation to you over this.

deschutes said:
I am supposed to fill out a form with dates I received such and such shots. It is to be verified and signed by an MD/RN.

Can you just sign it in a couple of months?

I have a positive PPD. Do I have to get another CXR?

No, they did use my two letters that I already had. It's pretty pointless. The third one was just a standard letter that, actually I was mistaken about before. I had the dean of students at my med school write a brief letter for the third.

yaah said:
No, they did use my two letters that I already had. It's pretty pointless. The third one was just a standard letter that, actually I was mistaken about before. I had the dean of students at my med school write a brief letter for the third.
Yeah, the folks at Brigham told me that they had 3 letters in my file already and I didn't need to secure any more letters. I agree...quite pointless. :laugh:

jeff2005 said:
Can you just sign it in a couple of months?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: My thoughts exactly!

Or I could just grab a passing orthopod... wait, that's not going to work.

I was actually thinking of stopping by the path residents' room and see if I could get one of them to sign it for me. :laugh: Path residents here have to do an internship year. I don't see why they can't sign it if an LPN can sign it. And I am SO not wanting to make a family doc appointment just to sign this bloody thing. And possibly pay out of pocket for it!

jeff2005 said:
I have a positive PPD. Do I have to get another CXR?
I know my CXR from clerkship was clear. I am going to send the report along with the rest of my paperwork. We'll see if it's accepted or not.

Yeah, I don't think you need an FP to sign health voucher forms. I just had my roommate sign mine. He's had his MD for 3 years now and can vouch for my health, especially my mental health.

I have no clue how it is supposed to work with PPDs and chest xrays. Everyone seems to have different rules. Sometimes I think you are supposed to get a CXR every time you have a positive PPD, but there always seem to be exceptions.

Basically how it works is:

Step 1) Get PPD planted
Step II) Have PPD read
Step III) Have PPD read as negative

If step III is not completed according to the above algorithm, the employee health people freak out and your life becomes annoying for a couple of weeks.

From what I can tell, some places want annual Mantoux.

Last year, Occupational Health cleared my CXR and told me to "never let anyone give you another Mantoux".

:rolleyes:

Why would you want another PPD if you already had a positive PPD previously? I mean it's very rare for someone to convert from PPD+ to PPD-. Plus, if you do have another PPD test, the results are gonna be ugly anyway.

AndyMilonakis said:
Why would you want another PPD if you already had a positive PPD previously?
You are mistaken. I really don't want another PPD. ;)
AndyMilonakis said:
I mean it's very rare for someone to convert from PPD+ to PPD-. Plus, if you do have another PPD test, the results are gonna be ugly anyway.
That was what I thought. I don't know what they are worried about. Latent infection?

deschutes said:
You are mistaken. I really don't want another PPD. ;)
That was what I thought. I don't know what they are worried about. Latent infection?
I wasn't implying that you wanted one. It was kind of a hypothetical. Bah, I gotta get a PPD test done tomorrow.

I guess they're worried about reactivation. But usually if you're PPD+, you just go through a short review of systems checklist (e.g., coughing blood?, short of breath?) with the doctor and get the CXR if necessary.

AndyMilonakis said:
Why would you want another PPD if you already had a positive PPD previously? I mean it's very rare for someone to convert from PPD+ to PPD-. Plus, if you do have another PPD test, the results are gonna be ugly anyway.

It doesn't matter. The people who administer the tests have their algorithm to follow, which means everyone gets a PPD every year. They don't know what to do (even though they should) with people who have positive PPDs.

yaah said:
It doesn't matter. The people who administer the tests have their algorithm to follow, which means everyone gets a PPD every year. They don't know what to do (even though they should) with people who have positive PPDs.
that's so frickin' pointless. wouldn't you have an equally or more violent reaction to the PPD each time?

AndyMilonakis said:
that's so frickin' pointless. wouldn't you have an equally or more violent reaction to the PPD each time?

Yes, but you're missing the point. Everyone has to have a PPD every year, because they have to screen for TB. If you don't get your yearly PPD they will come after you.

I have gotten all kinds of very threatening letters about getting a PPD for some time now, but haven't done it, and nothing of real consequence has happened to me. I will probably go get one before I go back to med school though, just in case real consequences are coming. :)

RAWR! I'm gonna get ya!

I see. Thanks for the clarification. I learned something today.

beary said:
I have gotten all kinds of very threatening letters about getting a PPD for some time now, but haven't done it, and nothing of real consequence has happened to me. I will probably go get one before I go back to med school though, just in case real consequences are coming. :)
Yeah, you need to get one before going back onto the wards ( :barf: ) . If you don't have a PPD placement done, you won't be able to start your clinical rotations (sob sob sob :laugh: )

AndyMilonakis said:
If you don't have a PPD placement done, you won't be able to start your clinical rotations (sob sob sob :laugh: )

Hmmm..... a new strategy!!!

I'll just tell the MSTP, "Sorry, I forgot to get my PPD! Guess I can't go back to med school!"

If only I didn't want to be a pathologist so badly.....