This is a genuine question, and I deeply appreciate a clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

codebluewinniethepooh

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this question ten days back, but I got no response... It is a genuine question. My google searches have failed to find a reasonable explanation... so Please, please, please provide me with your explanation, here is the question:

In the uworld q ID 489823 in the explanation section, they said that inhibition of elf-2 causes inhibition of translation initiation.... In usmlerx, don't have question ID, they said that EF-2 alpha complexes with GTP initiating the translocation step.

My question is what is, does the elongation factor work on the initiation phase of protein translation or the elongation phase (translocation happen here) of protein translation?

Members don't see this ad.

My apologies I should have elaborated more. elF2-GTP is part of the pre-initiation complex and mediates the binding of Met-tRNA to the small ribosomal subunit after the small ribosomal subunit scans the DNA and finds the AUG start site elf2 and the other initiation factors dissociate becoming elF2-GDP

Members don't see this ad :)
So the dissociation of elF2 (conversion to elF2-GDP) is the signal to start the elongation process
Dr. Meliodes, just to make sure that I got the point right, so inhibition of the elf-2 always results in inhibition of initiation (or formation of the initiation complex) and as a result inhibits the elongation step, right?

Dr. Meliodes, just to make sure that I got the point right, so inhibition of the elf-2 always results in inhibition of initiation (or formation of the initiation complex) and as a result inhibits the elongation step, right?

I think you will always inhibit the elongation phase if you inhibit elf-2. Depending on what type of inhibition/or what part of elf-2 the inhibition targets you may still form the initiation complex. If you inhibit elf-2 from binding to the DNA then you can't form the initiation complex. If you inhibit the ATPase activity then you can still form the ignition complex but you would never have elongation because elf2-GTP wouldnt loose the phosphate thus never releasing and not allow the elongation process to occur.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you will always inhibit the elongation phase if you inhibit elf-2. Depending on what type of inhibition/or what part of elf-2 the inhibition targets you may still form the initiation complex. If you inhibit elf-2 from binding to the DNA then you can't form the initiation complex. If you inhibit the ATPase activity then you can still form the ignition complex but you would never have elongation because elf2-GTP wouldnt loose the phosphate thus never releasing and not allow the elongation process to occur.
Thanks a lot Dr. Meliodas, I sincerely appreciate answering this question :) .. it was very confusing for me