This is for the waitlisters with still no acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shejeboshease

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you feel? I feel like I am going through difference phases as every month passes by with no new interview. At the beginning of the year it was so frustrating; but I guess for the past few months, I have been getting used to seeing all my friends getting accepted while I am being stranded at the same place. Now I am just hoping to hear a good news from the school where I am in the waiting list. If everything goes well, may be I will have a great summer. Oh yeah, I am also studying for the MCAT, and recently had interviews at SGU and Ross. I just have to wait and see for the next two months.

Members don't see this ad.

Waiting sucks. Good news is that the summer blockbuster movie season is fast approaching :)

Best of Luck :luck:

What was your MCAT? If it was 31+, and you have a low GPA, I don't think re-taking the MCAT would be that helpful unless you get over 36

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm only on one waitlist and on hold at another school, but I'm not actually feeling too bad anymore since I'm in the top 1/3rd of Buffalo's waitlist and they've historically taken the top 2/3rds of the list. Just sliiightly paranoid that this year will somehow change this, but barring the worst case scenario it's given me a lot more confidence than I otherwise would have.

Anyways, don't give up hope just yet.

Heh, I just started volunteering at an ER just in case I didn't get in this cycle and would have to beef up my ECs a bit. Gonna keep volunteering though since it'd make me a horrible poser if I didn't ;)

I also was on waitlists and actually got called in the last part of July, so don't give up hope!

The best thing to do is to keep showing interest by sending updates to the school.

At the same time, decide what you need to do to become more competitive if you need to apply again. Get feedback from the schools about it.

If you need to reapply, make sure your application is substanitially better, otherwise wait another year before reapplying.

Good Luck :luck:

I'm so glad someone started this thread! Everyone I know has an acceptance except me. I am so tired of having to answer well meaning friends and co-workers who just want to know where I am going with a cranky "I don't know yet." I wish there was a match date for med school. You know 15 March we all get to know where we are going kinda thing! Wow - OK enough negativity. At least I am still waiting, I know some people have long since had to start over! Good luck to everyone still waiting!:luck:

I am on a single waitlist which also happens to be my single life-saver. I would like to maintain a hopeful disposition regarding this but I crash-and-burned on waitlists before, so, I am going ahead with plan B, SGU.

Not officially waitlisted yet, but probably heading down that path!

I'm just trying to stay positive, but honestly, trying to figure out logistics for next year is really nerve wracking...especially if you can hear in July! Ah!

I am so tired of having to answer well meaning friends and co-workers who just want to know where I am going with a cranky "I don't know yet."

Amen. Especially when they are clueless as to what the process is like. "I don't understand. How have you not heard yet?" ugh.

Good luck to everybody. I'm on 2 waitlists...

Amen. Especially when they are clueless as to what the process is like. "I don't understand. How have you not heard yet?" ugh.

Good luck to everybody. I'm on 2 waitlists...

Man, I got so tired of answering all these questions from coworkers and friends and I accdently screamed at one of colleagues, "I will let you know once I have something!!!".

I did all my interview in September and am still waiting! To comfort my anxiety, I've been reading "Job" in the bible last couple of months and believe this waiting thing will help me somewhat in something in the future!

Good luck to ya all!

I am on the same boat. No idea what i am doing next year... Good luck to us all!!

Same here, WLs and no happiness. I've already started to assume that I will have to reapply.

Same here, WLs and no happiness. I've already started to assume that I will have to reapply.

me too. My finals are monday and then I am taking a week off b/f I start studying to retake the mcat. if I don't hear anything by June 1, I will sign up to take the mcat in July. sighhhhhhhhhhhh

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, I got so tired of answering all these questions from coworkers and friends and I accdently screamed at one of colleagues, "I will let you know once I have something!!!".

I did all my interview in September and am still waiting! To comfort my anxiety, I've been reading "Job" in the bible last couple of months and believe this waiting thing will help me somewhat in something in the future!

Good luck to ya all!

Not to try and bring religion into the conversation, but having your whole family die, being hated by your friends, getting leprosy, and losing all your money is a lot worse than waiting to get into medical school. Please.

Not to try and bring religion into the conversation, but having your whole family die, being hated by your friends, getting leprosy, and losing all your money is a lot worse than waiting to get into medical school. Please.

Is this really necessary? Of course there are worse things in the world. There's even worse things than those things you listed. Getting into med school is important to people so if you don't like these rants, there's a little box in the top right hand corner of your screen. It has an x on it. Near your right hand is an input device known as a "mouse." Move the mouse and you will see that an arrow on the screen moves correspondingly. Move the mouse so the arrow is over the box with the x, and click the left mouse button.

Get off your highhorse - unless you have NEVER complained about ANYTHING in your life, you're a hypocrite.

Is this really necessary? Of course there are worse things in the world. There's even worse things than those things you listed. Getting into med school is important to people so if you don't like these rants, there's a little box in the top right hand corner of your screen. It has an x on it. Near your right hand is an input device known as a "mouse." Move the mouse and you will see that an arrow on the screen moves correspondingly. Move the mouse so the arrow is over the box with the x, and click the left mouse button.

Get off your highhorse - unless you have NEVER complained about ANYTHING in your life, you're a hypocrite.

seriously. i was about to say the same thing. :D

Is this really necessary? Of course there are worse things in the world. There's even worse things than those things you listed.

You guys all understand that Mastac's post was referring specifically to the subject matter of the Book of Job (which was first mentioned by a previous poster) and what he perceived to be its incongruence with his current situation, right? He obviously wasn't trying to insult all people who complain about being on waitlists.

To respond directly to Mastac, though: If you carry your argument to its logical conclusion, Mastac, then what you're saying implies that *nobody* should read the book of Job for comfort because *nobody's* sufferings are as great as Job's were. Even you were one of the unluckiest 100 people living the world today, your sufferings would probably still be dwarfed by Job's. I think the book of Job is supposed to read as a sort of a poetic hyperbole that encompasses all our small trials and tribulations. Having a hideous disease or suffering a dozen family deaths shouldn't be a prerequisite for trying to derive comfort from reading that book.

Good luck with the waitlists, folks. I was on a lot of waitlists this time last year, and I know how it feels. :luck: :luck: :luck:

You guys all understand that Mastac's post was referring specifically to the subject matter of the Book of Job (which was first mentioned by a previous poster) and what he perceived to be its incongruence with his current situation, right? He obviously wasn't trying to insult all people who complain about being on waitlists.

To respond directly to Mastac, though: If you carry your argument to its logical conclusion, Mastac, then what you're saying implies that *nobody* should read the book of Job for comfort because *nobody's* sufferings are as great as Job's were. Even you were one of the unluckiest 100 people living the world today, your sufferings would probably still be dwarfed by Job's. I think the book of Job is supposed to read as a sort of a poetic hyperbole that encompasses all our small trials and tribulations. Having a hideous disease or suffering a dozen family deaths shouldn't be a prerequisite for trying to derive comfort from reading that book.

Good luck with the waitlists, folks. I was on a lot of waitlists this time last year, and I know how it feels. :luck: :luck: :luck:

Oh wow. Ok I get it now, those are things that JOb was put through as a test. Still, there's no problem with getting inspiration from something like that...

Have any of you fellow waitlisters thought about what you are going to do for the next year if you don't get in? I'm on three waitlists which I suppose gives me a decent chance of getting in, but in case I don't I'm wondering if I should be job hunting/applying for year long programs now.

Just saying life has to be pretty crappy when you're comparing yourself to Job. Still don't think waiting to get into medical school is a huge "trial" - It sucks, but nothing to start crying over. I'm waiting on 4 waitlists myself.

Have any of you fellow waitlisters thought about what you are going to do for the next year if you don't get in? I'm on three waitlists which I suppose gives me a decent chance of getting in, but in case I don't I'm wondering if I should be job hunting/applying for year long programs now.

June will be a big date for me. If I have no acceptances by that time, then I will start looking for another job/programs and retake the MCATs in July. Im already starting to study for it and its soooo difficult to get motivated when you still have a slight chance of getting in still. :(

Goood luck to you guys - I have seen so many people get off the waitlist at the last minute around here so I'm sure you all will too. Good luck!

Every other day, I go through the "So many people have gotten off the waitlist, I've got a great shot" and then, "So many more have not gotten off, what if I'm one? Did that cloud just now cover the sun to piss me off more?" But yes, this waiting game is tough.

Incandiferus, I've applied/received offers for work after I get back from traveling in the summer. One investing company has been nice enough to allow me to take the position if I don't get in to Med school. I've also applied to several Masters program that I do not yet know if I want to invest time and money for.

Mastac, if Job's story serves as an inspiration during this time, what's the problem? For some of us, the waiting thing is a big deal. We have no idea where we're headed or what we're doing next year. It's a scary thought, which I think you do understand being in the same position.

Yes, but SDN is the place to complain about waitlists and the application process - this is the place where applicants can find others that understand them - this is the place where people offer support - because they've been there (or ARE there) and done that. Or, like me have someone in their family that has gone through this. I know the work, the prayer, the struggle that the applicant(s) go through - I happen to know it from a Mom's point of view. There are support groups for much worse things in life than med school application waitlists - you are totally right - and I like to think that not only are we all supportive here of stressed applicants but we also are supportive in the other circles of our lives where we do run in to others suffering MUCH worse situations. You are right - this is a small thing relatively speaking but it's still good practice for offering support when you can.

Yes, but SDN is the place to complain about waitlists and the application process - this is the place where applicants can find others that understand them - this is the place where people offer support - because they've been there (or ARE there) and done that. Or, like me have someone in their family that has gone through this. I know the work, the prayer, the struggle that the applicant(s) go through - I happen to know it from a Mom's point of view. There are support groups for much worse things in life than med school application waitlists - you are totally right - and I like to think that not only are we all supportive here of stressed applicants but we also are supportive in the other circles of our lives where we do run in to others suffering MUCH worse situations. You are right - this is a small thing relatively speaking but it's still good practice for offering support when you can.

Understood. I understand people like to complain on SDN - sometimes people piss me off by how naive they are. I spent a lot of time living in other countries and have seen people dying from disease and starving to death with no hope. Then I hear people thinking their life sucks because they have to wait to get the best education in the world and live in the wealthiest country in the world. Kinda erks me, OK!?

Best of luck to all of you folks on the waitlist-only path. I'm sure it has to be agonizing. Hope you get good news soon....

Understood. I understand people like to complain on SDN - sometimes people piss me off by how naive they are. I spent a lot of time living in other countries and have seen people dying from disease and starving to death with no hope. Then I hear people thinking their life sucks because they have to wait to get the best education in the world and live in the wealthiest country in the world. Kinda erks me, OK!?

It is hard when you know or have known people that have extreme life/death situations.......we can only hope those on this board that go on to become doctors will have a heart for those unfortunate people in the world. Part of the frustration of not getting in to medical school involves the skills, talents, ideas, energy that applicants possess being put on hold - they're anxious to put those skills to use.

I found out today that I was accepted to UAMS (I'm OOS) from the watlist (placed there in February). This is my second year of applying. I'm walking proof that if you work hard enough and you don't give up, you can do whatever you want no matter what the odds are. :hardy: :hardy:

Best of luck to the rest of you waiting, i'll be rooting for you!!!! :luck:

I found out today that I was accepted to UAMS (I'm OOS) from the watlist (placed there in February). This is my second year of applying. I'm walking proof that if you work hard enough and you don't give up, you can do whatever you want no matter what the odds are. :hardy: :hardy:

Best of luck to the rest of you waiting, i'll be rooting for you!!!! :luck:

Congrats!!

Kodiac, that's awesome congrats!

On the topic of complaining, it's the worst when people assume that you're not getting in just because you're waitlisted. I mean, statistically speaking they of course have a point, but I'm tired of hearing "so, are you going to try again next year?"

Kodiac, that's awesome congrats!

On the topic of complaining, it's the worst when people assume that you're not getting in just because you're waitlisted. I mean, statistically speaking they of course have a point, but I'm tired of hearing "so, are you going to try again next year?"

I got that just today. "Oh you're on the waitlist? Well, that's a dead end for you. It's like rejecting you without saying we're rejecting you."

so u guys, are ur waitlists ranked? do u know where u stand on the list? im waitlisted at 3, and im not on their high priority WL's...:( :(

hey guys (and gals),
i was in this same position last year. i was on 4 waitlists. none of them came through for me. and although i hope that none of you have to deal with what i did, the reality of the numbers means that there will be some that won't get off any either. so i suggest start thinking about plan b at this point - i waited until the end of september (waiting for one last waitlist - they never eventually told me i didn't get in), and by that point all my options were closed. i was frantically looking for some kind of research job, but couldn't find work due to my lack of lab experience. i wanted to take some extra classes to boost the gpa, but by then it was too late for fall enrollment. so anyway, just make sure you have a plan b - hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. best of luck to all of you.

Thanks for the congrats! :)

I really don't understand why schools won't inform people of where they are on the waitlist (for the ranked ones). I know for a fact that UAMS and SLU do this. Its very frustrating and its not fair to keep people in suspense for months on end by giving them no clue as to where they stand.

There is still PLENTY of time left to go in this application cycle. Waitlists really don't start moving a great deal until after that May 15th deadline. So stay upbeat as much as possible and hope for the best.

My advice to those waitlisted and may not get in is to really give an in-depth analysis on your application. Honestly ask yourself, what are my strength and weaknesses? Also, don't be afraid to call up the schools that rejected you to find out why they did so. This can be very helpful. Hopefully this isn't the case.....but should you not get in off the waitlist, then use this info you learned to improve your application as quickly as possible. And APPLY EARLY. Yes this means that everyone should start working on their apps for next year starting as soon as possible even if you are on a waitlist (I think AAMC lets us start working on the app in May and then submit June 1st).

Most important....DON'T GIVE UP HOPE. People can get pulled of waitlists up until orientations in August (i've heard of it happening even after orientations begin!). Good luck to all! :luck:

Mastac741 said:

Personally I thought it was kind of funny......

Thanks for the congrats! :)

I really don't understand why schools won't inform people of where they are on the waitlist (for the ranked ones). I know for a fact that UAMS and SLU do this. Its very frustrating and its not fair to keep people in suspense for months on end by giving them no clue as to where they stand.

There is still PLENTY of time left to go in this application cycle. Waitlists really don't start moving a great deal until after that May 15th deadline. So stay upbeat as much as possible and hope for the best.

My advice to those waitlisted and may not get in is to really give an in-depth analysis on your application. Honestly ask yourself, what are my strength and weaknesses? Also, don't be afraid to call up the schools that rejected you to find out why they did so. This can be very helpful. Hopefully this isn't the case.....but should you not get in off the waitlist, then use this info you learned to improve your application as quickly as possible. And APPLY EARLY. Yes this means that everyone should start working on their apps for next year starting as soon as possible even if you are on a waitlist (I think AAMC lets us start working on the app in May and then submit June 1st).

Most important....DON'T GIVE UP HOPE. People can get pulled of waitlists up until orientations in August (i've heard of it happening even after orientations begin!). Good luck to all! :luck:

PLENTY?????? APPLY EARLY?????? I appreciate your optimism. However, I don't believe there is plenty of time left. I turned in my application almost 11 months ago. I'm on 1 waitlist. I have a wife and a kid. Do I find a decent paying job that I can stick with for at least a year, or do I work the only jobs that I can walk away from in 3 months and still have my integrity? I just want to know where I'll be in 3 months!!! After almost a year of waiting, I should know by now!!!!

Indeed, I know I cannot compare myself to Job or people suffering extermely around the world. However, I read about "Job" and got some relief because I am able to believe this would bring me some strength later. As life itself is learning process, you do not have to go through exterme situations to learn something. That's why we read.

jstuds-

Just trying to help dude, you don't have to throw it back in my face. There IS plenty of time in the waitlist season (3+ months).

I know all about waiting as I've been waiting to get into medical school for over two years! I was waitlisted last year and suffered the months of waiting only to find out I didn't get in....yeah it sucks but I moved on. I improved my application and found a job to hold me over for the next cycle. And I agree....the worst part is not knowing what you'll be doing in the next few months. I'm only trying to advise that you keep your head up and have faith that you'll get in.

Your circumstances are a lot more difficult than mine were/are and I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully we hear some good news from you soon.

And yes, should you not get in for this cycle your best bet is applying as early as possible because the earlier the application the better the odds.

I turned in my application almost 11 months ago. I'm on 1 waitlist. I have a wife and a kid. Do I find a decent paying job that I can stick with for at least a year, or do I work the only jobs that I can walk away from in 3 months and still have my integrity? I just want to know where I'll be in 3 months!!! After almost a year of waiting, I should know by now!!!!

How difficult this must be. I'm watching my daughter and her friend's application processes. All of them are draining , stressful processes but add a spouse and a child, and a lease to break, or a house to sell and in some cases two possiblities of schools on two different sides of the country. I really feel for you and hope you get an answer soon. It's hard to have no idea what's coming at you next.

I read this to my mom...we seriously laughed so hard b/c I'm in the same boat. thanks for making my day:)

I'm so glad somebody started this thread because now I know that I'm definitely not alone. All of my friends who applied for this year are going off to med school and I'm still on the waitlist (on the low end..to make matters worse) So I'm reapplying (EARLY), retaking the MCAT (got a 26) and applying to a 1-yr Master's program. The wait and uncertainty definitely suck but it doesn't hurt to have a back-up plan that will boost your application for the following year. Good luck to everybody waiting and even if you don't hear from anybody until a week before school starts..who cares? You're in med school. :luck: :luck: :luck: