1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

This is ludicrous!

Discussion in 'Pre-Hospital [ EMS ]' started by LilHouse, Jan 6, 2009.

1. LilHouse

LilHouse Failed Premed
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    :)

#1 LilHouse, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. emttim

emttim Addicted to SCUBA
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    That is just simply incredible and underscores a prime example of why a lot of EMS providers don't have a particularly high amount of respect for a lot of nurses (take note I said a lot, not all since there are some good ones). I would see about contesting that because that's just simply ridiculous. You shouldn't have to do some fat slob's work for them because you actually wanted to get experience that'll help you do /your/ job later on down the road.

4. pseudoknot

Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't know you, but from your post it sounds like you may have a poor attitude, especially with the comment about psych patients "wasting resources." I've known EMS providers who felt that some patients or complaints were beneath them, and they usually end up irritating their coworkers and treating patients poorly. Most 911 calls aren't immediate life threats either, and you can't pick and choose based on what's exciting enough for you.

5. emttim

emttim Addicted to SCUBA
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    From the OP's post, that doesn't sound what's going on, it sounds like the nurses just want him to do their job for him. From what I hear from people who have gone through medic school and even the instructors themselves, this unfortunately is a common occurrence.

6. canjosh

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes, this is a common problem. We are not training to be nurses, yet nurses precept us when we do clinicals. It is a problem when your orientation involves where the dirty linens go, where you get clean linens, and where the vitals machine is parked. That being said, you can still learn a lot from the bread and butter patients. In fact this is actually where most paramedics need more exposure. Trauma and full arrests can be a rush--but they're easy.

7. fiznat

fiznat Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just go to the remediation and see what they have to say, whats the big deal? Students make mistakes a lot. Remediation helps them recgonize those mistakes so that they can think better of it next time. Who cares? ...Unless you insist that you haven't made any mistakes at all, which is rediculious.

This is (I assume) paramedic school and it will be over in a matter of months anyways. Suck it up.

8. jonb12997

jonb12997 I'm a doctor!!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is very true! Most likely, a lot of your time is going to be spent doing "boring" stuff, especially as the new medic. It's also totally within your medical director's right to have you redo some of your clinical times. It's his license that's on the line after all. If he trusts the nurses, then you just have to do what you have to do.

Is changing linens all that hard? Medicine is a team sport, and I bet that if everyone helps out with stuff like that and "plays the game", the nurses are going to work with you and help give you stuff. If you're going to be that medic student who's just in the corner being like, I don't care about this, this doesn't help me any, the nurses are going to get annoyed really fast and aren't going to let you in on the "good stuff", but if you help out with whatever needs to happen then hopefully they'll be more likely to work with you and let you do some more interesting stuff like IV, tubes, etc.

9. canjosh

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You're talking to the fastest linen changer of them all buddy. Been a paramedic for 10 years now, and most of it has been in the hospital...so I've spent years doing what many would term scut. The problem I've seen is that many nurses have no interest in the quality of clinical education they provide to paramedic students. To these nurses, the student is there as an extra pair of hands to do scutwork...and they won't come find you when there is an interesting patient...they want you to only change linens, stock supplies, etc. This is the time for students to learn clinical judgment skills, and differentiation of diseases they're likely to encounter. For these reasons, I believe significant time needs to be spent in the shadows of the ED physician, or MLP.