this is probably dumb but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bella_dottoressa

make it happen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm applying next year and will probably be applying to 3+ D.O. schools along with MD schools. I know its super premature to have any real idea what kind of doctor you want to be, but as of right now I'm really interested in EM and peds. I know DOs are prevalent in EM but how much harder is it really to be a DO and get an EM residency? Also, re: peds...I enjoy children but don't really see myself as a general pediatrician. If I went the peds route I would definately want to do a fellowship following residency in something like critical care or hematology/oncology. Is that tough to do with a DO degree?

Sorry guys...:) ...final question, and this is the dumb one...What does it mean when we say on here that a DO is in an "allopathic residency"?

Members don't see this ad.

Those are all quite do-able as a DO. There are lots of DOs in emergency medicine.

An allopathic residency is an MD program, just like an allopathic school is an MD school. DOs can do either an osteopathic or an allopathic residency, but MDs can only do allopathic residencies.

Thanks DrMom :) Ultra-helpful as usual!

So as a DO you would apply to osteopathic and maybe allopathic residencies? Are allopathic residencies difficult to get into for a DO? Are there osteopathic residencies in all the fields there are allopathic residencies in?

I'm planning on going into EM and applying to both DO and MD programs. Many MD programs are very DO friendly...others have never had a DO before (don't know how many have tried, though).

There may be some more obscure or unusual specialties with no DO residencies/fellowships, but otherwise they're the same on both sides of the aisle.