this is really sad trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That being said, I practiced diagnostic ultrasound for at least an hour every single day during my fellowship, even on the weekends. I was completely obsessed with it. I also read the entire Bianchi book and pretty much every other MSK ultrasound resource I could find.

Members don't see this ad.

No patients complained to me about using ultrasound
There are folks out there using ultrasound for no good reasons

what is the point of using ultrasound for trigger point injections??

what is the point of using ultrasound for lateral femoral cutaneous nerve and many of those patients are very obese and ultrasound is time consuming

why are these academic people making these fancy ultrasound workshops and claim their superiority while in the real world, it has no efficacy and most likely will not get reimbursed?!?

academic ultrasound is far from the real world. Oh. I even saw the academic people claiming to see DRG on ultrasound!!! It is great that u see but what are u gonna do with this ?

boomer talk.

when the anesthesiologists first started using fluroscopy for epidurals, their seniors scoffed at them. "did we not teach you how to feel for it?"

then the studies came and showed that they were in the wrong place 30% of the time.

doing US is time consuming? not if you develop the skill and get good at it. just like doing an emg or a physical exam, or a cardiac stent.

far from the real world?

my colleague - US is the next evolution of the stethoscope. there is a reason so many schools have adopted giving US to their MEDICAL STUDENTS.

why listen for what you think is regurgitation when you can look at it and confirm at the bedside? in fact, you can see the cardiac effusion, the valve prolapse, the cardiac wall thickening, fluid in the lungs while you're at it. bedside diagnosis in the right hands can save time, money, and lives.

for physiatrist, where does US fit it?

why obtain an expensive MRI that may take weeks to get approval when a 15 minute comprehensive shoulder exam with US can be just as sensitive for most extra-articular pathology?

and as far as anatomic palpation guided injections, the studies show that even basic knee injections by well trained senior physicians can be inaccurate up to 40% of the time. we simply are NOT as good as we think we are without accountability (visual confirmation, fluro, CT, US)

back to what is part of physiatry - there was a time in the field where people debated on what should be the scope of the field. was it more physical medicine or was it rehabilitation. when rehab stays were 100+ days and our tools were limited to modalities and serial casting. they resolved those internal conflicts and the field evolved. then peopled debated whether or not spine injections or even NCS should be a part of what a physiatrist does. it took people who were interested and motivated to fight for it. to go out and learn it. to develop these skills, bring them back and internalize them into the training. eventually EDx became a core part of the training and likely every single pmr dept has a spine interventionalist.

our field, like everything else continues to evolve. 10-15 years ago it might have been spine injections. today it is ultrasound. in 20 years, it will be something else.

Reactions: 3 users
Once again, i am not discrediting ultrasound and i need ultrasound when applicable for better outcomes. Not just for MsK, i use ultrasound to do alcohol nerve block for spasticity(obturator nerve and musculocutaneous nerve)

I am thinking about ultrasound being utilized for bs reasons

what are the chances that people will do office based ultrasound guided injection for SI joint and facet?!?

SIJ injection studies
IA vs peri-articular - same outcomes

SIJ under US? incredibly simple. cervical facets? you can actually see the facet, you can see the actual medial branches. Lumbar facets? you can see the facets. you can see where the SAP meets the tranverse process. these are NOT difficult things to do when you develop the skill set.

these things, like ALL things, take time to learn how to do. US is just a tool. fluro and CT and MRI and cars and trains are just tools. I'm not sure what your BS reasons are except that perhaps your understanding of how to fully utilize the tool is incomplete

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, if you don’t think that a more accurate injection is linked to better outcomes, why not just do all steroid injections in the glut...or better yet, not do them at all?

I’ve had a few cases in which I was able to find something on ultrasound that was initially not called on an MRI. Off the top of my head:

1) proximal rectus femoris myotendinous junction injury in a soccer player with four years of anterior hip and thigh pain.
2) rectus femoris direct head calcific tendinopathy in a ballet dancer with six months of anterior lateral thigh pain.
3) Nearly full thickness tear of the posterior band of the gluteus medius tendon.

In each of the above cases I was able to reach out to the MSK radiologist, who was then able to identify the pathology on MRI and addend his previous dictation.
Not to mention numerous ganglion cysts on the wrist.

Not to mention numerous ganglion cysts on the wrist.
I’m going to add episacraliac lipomas to the list. They are almost never called on MRI lumbar and are pretty darn common.

SIJ injection studies
IA vs peri-articular - same outcomes

SIJ under US? incredibly simple. cervical facets? you can actually see the facet, you can see the actual medial branches. Lumbar facets? you can see the facets. you can see where the SAP meets the tranverse process. these are NOT difficult things to do when you develop the skill set.

these things, like ALL things, take time to learn how to do. US is just a tool. fluro and CT and MRI and cars and trains are just tools. I'm not sure what your BS reasons are except that perhaps your understanding of how to fully utilize the tool is incomplete
so DId you get paid???
when did I say i do not know how to look at SAP meeting transverse process

Good luck

so DId you get paid???
when did I say i do not know how to look at SAP meeting transverse process

Good luck
Not sure why you have so much animosity towards use of a a proven technology with proven benefits. “Why do US guided SIj and facet blocks” was your question. There are a half dozen very reasonable answers to this. You sound like a dinosaur angry at the young whipper snappers. Good luck, the meteor has already landed

Frankly, I don't understand why this is sad.

It's a valid preference like any other. You might argue that it's a preference that at least in part stems from a misunderstanding of how compensation works, and you would be right. But I don't see a focus on using the ultrasound as being bad.

In any case, there is no harm being done, except insofar as the level of evidence for steroid injections for long-term control of pain and improvement of function is lacking. But then that's not an ultrasound issue.

I think there is pretty good evidence that steroid injections are beneficial in the short term (first 6 weeks or so), and if physiatrists feel that they can ensure a greater accuracy of needle placement by using US, good for them.

Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to practice outpatient PM&R, but there is more than enough room in the field for different practice models and styles.

My 2 cents:

US is helpful for:

Shoulder:
  • Subacromial bursa. This potential space is thin as a frikkin Pringle if you are lucky and there's a touch of fluid in it. Otherwise is simply a space. Getting the needle into that is golden with use of US.
  • GH joint - Spare patients the flouro.
  • AC joint - watch the fluid fill that joint - priceless
Carpal Tunnel:
  • IMO unguided injection is malpractice. Man, would you let someone skewer your nerve or tendon?
Trigger point:
  • Oft debated. But if you really want to get the levator or rhomboid, you're either nuts to go that deep without US, or you're fooling yourself and you're staying too superficial. Now, for trap TPI, unguided is prob okay. Just pinch and poke.
Hip
  • Spare the flouro and get it done.
  • Iliopsoas bursa/tendon is easy with US
Knee
  • I do these blind unless pt is obese and/or anticoagulated and/or failed previous unguided injection
Piriformis
  • What better way to visualize the piriformis and inject?

Reactions: 1 users