Why is PM&R becoming competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I personally don’t mind giving the detailed explanation. Patients and other physicians tend to love it. Hospitals and policy makers could care less unless you show the data, value and money.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
This is correct. I have been a physiatrist for about a decade. No one, most physicians and other healthcare workers included, truly know what we do without a detailed explanation, unless you present yourself by your subspecialty. If this seriously bothers you, I would suggest choosing another field.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks to TikTok and social media boom after the pandemic...Gen-Z and millennials are realizing there's more to life than work and money and are wanting lifestyle specialties

Members don't see this ad :)
There is also a marketing play here. Families might prefer a Physiatrist versus a Internal medicine doc who is now the rehab physician. But most don’t know the difference. Generally physiatrist work better in team and can offer more holistic care (prognosis, function, socioeconomic). Obviously not saying others can not be as good without PM&R training. I know a couple of IM and Neurologist inpatient rehab directors and they are better than most Physiatrist. 3-4 years of PM&R can not be condensed in a couple of weeks but generally PM&R concepts are easy to understand. All you will need in the future will be IM+NP+AI. I am leaving clinical practice in a couple of years and would rather be on the other side.

Reactions: 1 user
There is also a marketing play here. Families might prefer a Physiatrist versus a Internal medicine doc who is now the rehab physician. But most don’t know the difference. Generally physiatrist work better in team and can offer more holistic care (prognosis, function, socioeconomic). Obviously not saying others can not be as good without PM&R training. I know a couple of IM and Neurologist inpatient rehab directors and they are better than most Physiatrist. 3-4 years of PM&R can not be condensed in a couple of weeks but generally PM&R concepts are easy to understand. All you will need in the future will be IM+NP+AI. I am leaving clinical practice in a couple of years and would rather be on the other side.

You’re leading clinical because of this IM + NP + AI or you’re leaving regardless? Also what else is there to do for you outside of clinical medicine as a physiatrist?

I am not leaving because of the above reasons. My non clinical work is keeping me plenty busy. I run a few successful businesses and I am doing decent amount of medical legal. I always had a plan to stop clinical practice by my mid 40's and retire by my mid 50's. So far I seem to be on track.
I am fortunate to have multiple non clinical options but for other Physiatrist there are things you can consider.
1) Practice management consultant
2) Start-up advisor and C Suite
3) Start a new business
4) Home health owner
5) PT clinics owner (some states don't allow this)
6) Personal training studios or franchise
7) Work for insurance companies - utilization review
8) Physician advisor
9) Med Spa owner
10) Work for consulting companies (Accenture, Bain etc.)
11) Work for VC or PE.
12) Med legal

Reactions: 6 users
I am not leaving because of the above reasons. My non clinical work is keeping me plenty busy. I run a few successful businesses and I am doing decent amount of medical legal. I always had a plan to stop clinical practice by my mid 40's and retire by my mid 50's. So far I seem to be on track.
I am fortunate to have multiple non clinical options but for other Physiatrist there are things you can consider.
1) Practice management consultant
2) Start-up advisor and C Suite
3) Start a new business
4) Home health owner
5) PT clinics owner (some states don't allow this)
6) Personal training studios or franchise
7) Work for insurance companies - utilization review
8) Physician advisor
9) Med Spa owner
10) Work for consulting companies (Accenture, Bain etc.)
11) Work for VC or PE.
12) Med legal

Really curious about 1 & 2 here. What does that entail?

Other practices need help to scale. If you have done a good job in yours you can charge fees as a consultant. #2 requires getting your foot in the door. Hanging out with startups at incubators. I am involved with a few and receive advisory shares and compensation.

Reactions: 2 users