This is so revolting - what the heck is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gryffindor

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you seen the "Teeth Brushing" thread in the Lounge?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=117430&page=1&pp=20

The question is legit, but in the thread, someone's got this absolutely revolting picture of some lower incisors that are definitely not normal. Even I am having a hard time looking at it and coming up with a differential diagnosis, maybe it's just all the free Anti-Atkins dinners at school today or what, but I am disturbed by this picture.

Anyone know what's going on clinically in that picture, so I have a heads up and don't freak out in residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry dude, that's just a pic of teeth of some dude in a tropical country with bad hygiene. I believe they are fly larvae growing in the guy's mouth. WOn't happen very much in North America. You will probably not see this in your practice ever.

Could it be a cadaver. Why would anybody let larvae in their mouth?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, they actually showed this picture in my perio class. Maybe not the same exact one, but it was of a person with the same thing--maggots. My perio professor said that it was of a farmer who slept in the barn or something.

And pretty much, you most likely won't see this, unless you work in rural areas. Even then, I'm not so sure you'll even see it that often. Person has to have pretty deep perio pockets for that!!

Its a obviously a fake picture. Some loser with nothing else to do created this image in his computer. Have you ever seem other revolting pics, like the one of a nipple with multiple things in it (maggoty-looking like in this pic)? Its DISCUSSING! Frankly, people that post things like should be kicked out of SDN!!

Perio=no thanks. I don't think that was photochop BTW.

That is so filthy... so sickening, I doubt the person's other physiologies are in good condition if the picture is true.

So repellent.

i'm pretty sure the pic is real but again you won't see it in North America. I believe it was from the book of Tropical Diseases

It's from a BBC science website. (By the way BBC is a news channel like CNN). This is an actual picture in South America where a farmer was sleeping with his mouth wide open. He was an elderly person, which explains the low immunity level. When he was sleeping, the female fly was laying eggs around the cervical area of the lower incisors causing the maggots to proliferate. He obviously didn't have good oral hygiene as well if not it wouldn't have been that bad. Hope that explanation helps.

that's nasty. i m sorry to say
i feel like i m gonna throw up

Alright, I'm a dental student finishing up second year and learned just about everything in Periodontics! I can assure you one thing, that picture is one nasty picture that was and never will be in the curriculum here at Nova Southeastern University!

That is one nasty @ss picture. I showed it to some of my classmates (guys), they all sqeamished and shut their computers off right away! I, then, went to the WWW and search and learned about fly larvae (maggots). From what I learned about maggots and from that picture, everything makes sense.

Some flies (specifically screw-flies) prefer to lay their eggs (which hatches in just 8 hours) in wounds. If this tropical person has poor immune system and horrible oral hygiene (periodonitis), I can total see flies flying into his mouth to lay 30-70 eggs in his gingival sulcus (space between your gums and tooth).

Here's another story about maggot infestation of the oral cavity:

http://www.gulfnews.com/Articles/news.asp?ArticleID=47012

On a good note, maggots are use frequently in the medical fields to aid would healing, just like leeches. Alright, no more talking about maggots....sorry. :rolleyes:

Wow. One might even say that "maggots are falling like rain" in this post. :laugh: (Anybody get it?) :D