this is what the law students think...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

To be honest, its true.

Even with this economy, there's still opportunities out there. You just have to look and open your horizons.

And also, healthcare is an area that will always be needed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i never understood (nor will i ever understand) why the hell so many college students go to law school when they feel clueless about what to do after college.
Why? Because it's a broad discipline.

Don't dis the law students. 😉 This fall, my sister is headed to a local first-tier school with an awesome scholarship, and I'm very proud of her! 😀
 
yeah, law is broad, but my point is that there are other pretty broad options out there too. and they probably dont require as much pain and money as law school does. by the way, congrats to your sister. that's quite an accomplishment!
 
yeah, law is broad, but my point is that there are other pretty broad options out there too. and they probably dont require as much pain and money as law school does.
Ok. But what else is broad like law school? Business is broad, but MBA students are pretty much in the same boat as law students. Management isn't too narrow, either, but there isn't very much stability in management like there is in health care (due to demand and the opportunity to specialize).

The only thing that I can think of that would make more sense is to open a business, but that isn't very secure, though.

by the way, congrats to your sister. that's quite an accomplishment!
Thanks! 🙂 We will be the first "doctors" in our family... which is HUGE!
 
Ok. But what else is broad like law school? Business is broad, but MBA students are pretty much in the same boat as law students. Management isn't too narrow, either, but there isn't very much stability in management like there is in health care (due to demand and the opportunity to specialize).

The only thing that I can think of that would make more sense is to open a business, but that isn't very secure, though.

Thanks! 🙂 We will be the first "doctors" in our family... which is HUGE!

ok, you win 😀 it IS hard to think of broad alternatives.

i guess what i mean is, you dont have to go into something that broad even when you're clueless about what to do. you can narrow down your interests and find something else to do other than become a law student. that's what the career center and the nice, fat career section at barnes and noble are for.
 
ok, you win 😀 it IS hard to think of broad alternatives.

i guess what i mean is, you dont have to go into something that broad even when you're clueless about what to do. you can narrow down your interests and find something else to do other than become a law student. that's what the career center and the nice, fat career section at barnes and noble are for.

I know scores of people who went into college not knowing what they wanted to do. Many of them went to a CC to just get some education under their belt, and while at CC, had a class and met a professor who inspired them to pursue a specific field. I know a lot of people look at CC and turn their nose at it, but it's really not a bad idea when it's all said and done.
 
I know scores of people who went into college not knowing what they wanted to do. Many of them went to a CC to just get some education under their belt, and while at CC, had a class and met a professor who inspired them to pursue a specific field. I know a lot of people look at CC and turn their nose at it, but it's really not a bad idea when it's all said and done.

yeah, me too. im a big fan of the CC's too, actually. in fact, i think going to a CC first makes more sense for a lot of students who dont know what to do but dont want to pay big bucks to a university.
 
yeah, me too. im a big fan of the CC's too, actually. in fact, i think going to a CC first makes more sense for a lot of students who dont know what to do but dont want to pay big bucks to a university.
I think law school is just a mecca for literary types. Basically, if a student were to enjoy math and science, then they would have so many more high paying options post-graduation than English/Political Science/Journalism majors who don't go to law school.

Law school is merely a trade-off, IMO.
 
I think law school is just a mecca for literary types. Basically, if a student were to enjoy math and science, then they would have so many more high paying options post-graduation than English/Political Science/Journalism majors who don't go to law school.

Law school is merely a trade-off, IMO.

yeah, i noticed that too. lots of them will say they suck at math and science, and maybe a few truly dont have a brain for the subjects, but i think most people can do math and science well enough if they just spend enough time doing problems and most of all, stop thinking negatively about math and science to begin with. it really aint that scary~
 
yeah, i noticed that too. lots of them will say they suck at math and science, and maybe a few truly dont have a brain for the subjects, but i think most people can do math and science well enough if they just spend enough time doing problems and most of all, stop thinking negatively about math and science to begin with. it really aint that scary~
True. Math and science aren't that hard, but some classes can make anyone humble, e.g. Organic Chemistry. I had to take Organic II twice, because I decided to drop it the first time; honestly, I was happy to make it out with C, because it was the driest, most mind-numbing stuff EVER! 😴
 
physics was the bane of my existence a few years ago. i should've burned the textbook while dancing around it
 
True. Math and science aren't that hard, but some classes can make anyone humble, e.g. Organic Chemistry. I had to take Organic II twice, because I decided to drop it the first time; honestly, I was happy to make it out with C, because it was the driest, most mind-numbing stuff EVER! 😴

Huh. I thought Organic Chemistry was the only class in undergrad that was interesting. Solving synthesis problems was like doing a jigsaw puzzle that had the decency to be moderately challenging.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
physics was the bane of my existence a few years ago. i should've burned the textbook while dancing around it
I enjoyed Physics. One of my recommendation letters came from my lovely Physics II professor. 😍 I used to actually sit in his office and talk with him about worldly, socioeconomic issues. 😛


So then I assume you get my point, right? :idea:
Law school is just an alternative to getting a job with a liberal arts degree (which is really freakin' hard sometimes!). I have a BA degree, and it was just a hobby that I studied and then used during the hoop jumping contest- I mean the professional school application process. 😛
 
Ha! You know, whenever I graduated with a BA, I only invited 2 people to my graduation, because I knew I wasn't even finished with school yet.

If I had to guess, whenever I graduate again, it will be pretty different. My friends and family talk about it a lot... you know, "whenever you graduate... XYZ."
 
Huh. I thought Organic Chemistry was the only class in undergrad that was interesting. Solving synthesis problems was like doing a jigsaw puzzle that had the decency to be moderately challenging.

I agree, Organic Chemistry was a very challenging course, but challenging in the good way, not like my Microbiology class, which is just plain difficult. I actually took the Orgo ACS earlier today and got the high score for my school. I was very happy about that.

It's kind of a shame that our culture is one where it's "cool" to hate math and science and therefore try to avoid it, math and science breed logical reasoning and rational thinking, two things which society sorely lacks. But then again, imagine if it were the other way around, and math and science were popular over more literary fields. Double-edged sword, I suppose. It drives you crazy to see that mentality, but it also allows you to benefit at the same time.
 
I agree, Organic Chemistry was a very challenging course, but challenging in the good way, not like my Microbiology class, which is just plain difficult. I actually took the Orgo ACS earlier today and got the high score for my school. I was very happy about that.

So you take the test and get the results the same day now? Huh. We had to wait weeks for the damned results. I think I got a 63 out of 70...which is apparently better than it sounds...
 
Ha! You know, whenever I graduated with a BA, I only invited 2 people to my graduation, because I knew I wasn't even finished with school yet.

I hear you. I'm graduating from CC in two weeks myself. I picked up my free cap, gown, and honor society tassel, but I don't plan on attending the ceremony (three hours of listening to people I don't like drone on about how "we are the future and the future is now" just to get am empty diploma frame? Screw that). Besides, it's a freakin' AS degree, I'm going to use it as a coaster while in pharmacy school (and then hang it up next to my PharmD after graduation :meanie:). Since I don't plan on going, I gave my tickets to a really cute girl who was looking for extras. She was willing to pay ten bucks per ticket, which I thought was ridiculous, so I just gave her my four gratis.
 
like wvu i too liked ochem. hell, it was probably one of the few science classes i really enjoyed (though i did fail one midterm 😀). maybe because i love to doodle, and ochem mechanisms are a doodler's dream. kinda like a high-tech drawing class.
 
So you take the test and get the results the same day now? Huh. We had to wait weeks for the damned results. I think I got a 63 out of 70...which is apparently better than it sounds...

The answers were all on scantrons, so I pestered my professor later in the afternoon until he ran the scantrons through the machine. It just happened that I had to be at school until 7:30 today (Public Speaking in the evening), so I was able to come back later and get my result. Despite getting the high grade, my grade still kind of sucked, but I'll admit that I did rush through the test which probably brought down my grade substantially. So much Grignard...

The national average is low 30's out of 70, so 63 is a really good score.
 
Unless you are fixing on getting some, all you accomplished was not making $40.

Re-read my post. I did say she was cute. :meanie:

1.) I found out about her offer of $10/per after I had given her the tickets and saw the stack of flyers she had with her to post around campus.
2.) I think $10 per is a ridiculous amount to have to pay for a graduation ticket for a CC, and I've got no use for the tickets anyway (I'll be at the local gin mill getting drunk and singing karaoke that night anyway), so what do I care? In the big scheme of things, I get paid on Friday anyway and God knows I've mooched way more than $40 off of friends and family in my lifetime. Hell, in the last month I've mooched more than that.
 
So you take the test and get the results the same day now? Huh. We had to wait weeks for the damned results. I think I got a 63 out of 70...which is apparently better than it sounds...

My final last week was 8am-10am, by 2pm we had our grades.

And grad tickets for my undergrad were going for about $25-$50 each on the grey market.

And I enjoyed physics over ochem...for some reason I could visualize flux and Newtonian physics more than anything in orgo. Crazy theoretical physics/quantum physics blows my mind, I like going through the thought process of what happens when you get sucked into a black hole.
 
My final last week was 8am-10am, by 2pm we had our grades.

And grad tickets for my undergrad were going for about $25-$50 each on the grey market.

And I enjoyed physics over ochem...for some reason I could visualize flux and Newtonian physics more than anything in orgo. Crazy theoretical physics/quantum physics blows my mind, I like going through the thought process of what happens when you get sucked into a black hole.

When you say undergrad, do you mean for your Bachelor's at a 4-year? If so, I could understand those prices, but not so much for a CC where the main idea is to transfer to a university afterwards. I dunno, maybe that's just me talking from my Doctoral ivory tower.

I enjoyed Phyiscs too, partly because the material was fascinating, but also partly because my professor was a crazy old man. He taught thoroughly, but he always would make reference to recreational drug use, drinking (actually holding up his coffee mug one day and exclaiming "Boy, this rum and coke is the best I've ever had! With the way I act, you don't know if I'm lying or not!"), peppered his lectures with f-bombs, frequently referred to "big bird" (a giant middle finger with a smiley face on it), and would tell students who didn't study/come to class to shoot themselves or else he would on test day. It made lectures very interesting, to say the least. He definitely proved that old adage about the smartest people also being the most eccentric.
 
Why? Because it's a broad discipline.

Don't dis the law students. 😉 This fall, my sister is headed to a local first-tier school with an awesome scholarship, and I'm very proud of her! 😀


congrats...but she will still be a lawyer when she finishes
 
some differences between law and pharmacy:

law = demand is flat
pharmacy = demand for drugs is typically almost always increasing.

law: no additional fields for lawyers to work in.
pharmacy: thousands of unemployed doctorate grads most likely will lobby for advanced practice rights.

law: unionization is less feasible, as law consists of hundreds of small employers

pharmacy: unionization is probable if there is a surplus of grads, not enough jobs, due to the fact that retail pharmacists are really just interchangeable labor employed by 2-3 big companies.

I expect unionization and expansion of practice roles. the accomplishment of unionization being to split up a lack of hours so that new grads can at least count on maybe 20 hours a week instead of being unemployed.

Also for those who arent crazy enough to spend their time reading jdunderground.. a heads up for the uninformed, it's basically a site for people who went to low tier schools to bitch about how stupid they were for not doing their research on the job market first.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i found an interesting thread on jdunderground. i dont know if it's been posted here before. http://www.jdunderground.com/thread.php?threadId=36188

basically these people think pharmacy is a profession that will never go down the drain. clearly these guys never read the sdn pharmacy forum.

So... why did no one comment on this thread? Being pre-law pharmD- I want to tell these kids how ridiculous they are being...Why would they sit there and bash a career in the healthcare industry at all? Are none of them on any medications-and if they are on meds- do none of those meds have any possible interactions that WE would prevent them from falling victim to? Have they not heard of karma?! They shouldn't knock a field just because it isn't as saturated as theirs, they should embrace it.. ahhmm pharmaceutical law.
 
Yes, I read that, shelle; well done!

I would prefer to be able to spend 2 hours in the office @ 250 an hour, 1 hour having lunch with clients, marketing to potential clients giving a talk at a downtown club, 1 hour working on other interests like an online business selling general business advice or goods, 1 hour going to the gym, and 1 hour banging hot chicks (thats a grand total of 6 hours work a day), than standing behind a friggin counter with the risk of armed robbery, pushing pills and Reese's Peanut Cups to the American public.
This did make me laugh. Am I a bad pharmacist?