This may be a stupid question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saxifoneforgod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is one able to apply for med school 2 years in advance (i.e., have completed all the pre-reqs but have yet to finish gen eds and major study)? Or, do you HAVE to wait to apply until you have your bachelor's? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

With the exception of some BA/MD schools I do not think so. Schools accept for students for the following year. You could get accepted and then defer matriculation (at some schools, with good reason), but they would not accept you without reason to believe you will be prepared for the next years class.

Is one able to apply for med school 2 years in advance (i.e., have completed all the pre-reqs but have yet to finish gen eds and major study)? Or, do you HAVE to wait to apply until you have your bachelor's? Thanks! :)

I think most medical schools stipulate the completion of at least 90 semester credits upon matriculation, although the vast majority of medical school matriculants will have at least a bachelor's degree. There are exceptions, but generally not among applicants that go through the regular channels.

It's best to check with the individual schools for their policy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools offer an Early Acceptance, check out the DMU web-site regarding it. But I do not know all the info and details, I just remember one of the "student testamonials" in which the person mentioned having been accpeted as a Sophomore in College through the Early Acceptance, as I recall.