This might be dumb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karina

Surgeon in training...
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have been accepted to LECOM-FL (deposit sent on dec. 17th), I had an interview with an MD program I really liked early in dec and still have not heard anything (it has been 4 weeks today). I have an interview scheduled at NSU later this month and with another MD program in march.

The "problem": I have been offered an interview at NYCOM (got the invite dec. 20th!), and WVSOM(got the invite today). I really want to wait and see what NJMS response is before I schedule the interviews...mostly because of money issues (not only will I need to pay for hotel/ticket, I need to pay for a secondary!). Should I just call and schedule the interview and then cancel if I decide not to go? What if these are really good schools that I would like to go to?...arrrrgh!

I dunno...what would be the best course of action?
Thanks!
Karina

Members don't see this ad.

Karina said:
Ok, I have been accepted to LECOM-FL (deposit sent on dec. 17th), I had an interview with an MD program I really liked early in dec and still have not heard anything (it has been 4 weeks today). I have an interview scheduled at NSU later this month and with another MD program in march.

The "problem": I have been offered an interview at NYCOM (got the invite dec. 20th!), and WVSOM(got the invite today). I really want to wait and see what NJMS response is before I schedule the interviews...mostly because of money issues (not only will I need to pay for hotel/ticket, I need to pay for a secondary!). Should I just call and schedule the interview and then cancel if I decide not to go? What if these are really good schools that I would like to go to?...arrrrgh!

I dunno...what would be the best course of action?
Thanks!
Karina

I went ahead and scheduled some interviews after I interviewed with DMU. I loved DMU and of all the interviews I'd had, I had the best gut feeling from them. Still, I was trying to keep my options open so I kept accepting interview invites even after I received DMU's acceptance.

Until DMU offered me a merit scholarship and then the search was over. As soon as I was able to, I called up all pending interviews and cancelled. And I didn't have the slightest feeling of regret as I did it... which, to me, indicates that I made the right (the best) choice for me.

Moral of the story. Keep accepting interview invites until you are holding an acceptance which, for you, is worthy of cancelling all other opportunities. Postpone some, if need be, too!

MsEvolution said:
I went ahead and scheduled some interviews after I interviewed with DMU. I loved DMU and of all the interviews I'd had, I had the best gut feeling from them. Still, I was trying to keep my options open so I kept accepting interview invites even after I received DMU's acceptance.

Until DMU offered me a merit scholarship and then the search was over. As soon as I was able to, I called up all pending interviews and cancelled. And I didn't have the slightest feeling of regret as I did it... which, to me, indicates that I made the right (the best) choice for me.

Moral of the story. Keep accepting interview invites until you are holding an acceptance which, for you, is worthy of cancelling all other opportunities. Postpone some, if need be, too!

I did the same... I accepted all the interviews, then postpone them till I heard back from UNECOM. Than canceled the others when I fell satisfied with the acceptance I had. If I was unsure or had more money, I would of definitely interviewed at more schools. BTW, I still did not cancel PCOM application, still waiting to hear from them about an interview. You never know!!!

BTW... MsEvolution, congrats on scholarship. That is sweet. About 60K ahead of the rest of us (I think the scholarship is half the tuition right?).

Members don't see this ad :)
Karina,
Nice van gough.

I agree with the group. Accept the interveiws and postpone them out a bit. NY is an expensive trip one way of the other, and NYCOM is a good school, but its not Columbia or any school in that stratusphere. I am not sure of the other school you mentioned, but postpone, wait to hear from your number one choice, and then go from there. You don't want to get in the position of having to put down multiple deposits or spend houndreds of dollars interviewing everywhere. My limit has been three, after three one should start thinkng about decisions. I found myself in a similar position of managing my interviews.

Ok, Thanks everyone! It was kind of going with what y'all are saying but I guess I needed to hear it from a fellow group of premeds going through the same thing :)

I will call and schedule the interviews for some time in february if it's possible, that will give me enough time to hear from NJMS.

Thank you for the support!
Good luck!
Karina