This thread should be a sticky in the pre-pharm forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is full of "doom and gloom" and "negativity" but it's real and is happening to pharmacists TODAY.

If a pharmacist can't get a job in a booming economy in 2019 then they won't be able to get one anytime in the near future.

Stop making the pharmacy schools rich.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t worry, I will help bump it every now and then.

• Love
Bump. You really need to rethink your decision to take out $200k+ in loans and dedicate 4 years of your life to pharmacy school. Many of the new grads are having trouble finding jobs, and even the ones that do have to make major sacrifices such as move hundreds or thousands of miles away from family and friends to the middle of nowhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys might as well post about how cigarettes kill about half a million people each year to stop people from smoking.

You guys might as well post about how cigarettes kill about half a million people each year to stop people from smoking.
Well. Going to pharmacy school is not an addiction at least.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Depends what you define by addiction.

If you define it as a blind, ignorant pursuit of something you know is bad for you ($200k+ in debt and unemployed) in order to achieve a temporary instant gratification of some sort (potential six figure salary) then I would say that every pharmacy student who hasn’t dropped out of pharmacy school before the end of P1 year is an addict.

You can try it before you fully buy it and I won’t consider you an addict, but the decision to stubbornly pursue something when you know there will be massive collateral damage to your family, self and career down the line is solely on you.

Once these new grads start to look for jobs that are nonexistent, they'll realize how serious the situation is. Also, as number of unemployed new grads increase, schools will start to feel the real impact i'm sure. I just can't wait for the schools to realize how much they messed up our profession and be shut down due to their own stupidity and greed. May take a few years but it'll come. Mark my words haha

How many years was it before law schools started shutting down? More than 20 years since the problem first started to emerge and nearly 10 years after it started to be discussed outside the profession? So pharmacy schools will start closing, but who knows how long it will take... also contingent on the larger student loan bubble.

To those of you counting on pharmacy schools to shut down: the market can remain irrational for longer than you can stay solvent.

I dunno - I would consider access to excessive student loans an addiction. I have met many that use student loans as a means to avoid work.

Reactions: 1 users