Those of us High GPA, 'Lower' MCAT...where apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RyanS32122

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if perhaps those of us who have really VERY strong applications, except for the MCAT (like around 25), can post where they are applying, and what state they are from. This will give us a better perspective on the process. I am preparing to submit, but am just unsure of the school selections.

MA RESIDENT
Albany
Boston U
Brown
Crieghton
Dartmouth
Drexel
George Washington
Harvard (there is a reason why)
Howard
Loma Linda
Med. Coll. Wisconsin
SUNY Upstate
U. Vermont COM
Tufts
UMASS MED (top choice...love it)
U of Nebraska (have family there)

Any comments on the above list? Any schools that should be added which are known for being less MCAT-intensive in their decision making? Post your schools if you are around 25...lets get a good useful thread going. I am also applying DO, but I am more concerned with school selections on the MD side.

Thanks everyone ;)

RS

Members don't see this ad.

TN RESIDENT:
vanderbilt
UT memphis
east tn state
meharry
howard
emory
baylor
umdnj
umdnj-rjw
temple
morehouse
roslin franklin

Your list looks well thought out. They seem to only be schools that do not weigh the MCAT very much, with the exception of Harvard. If the rest of your application is so good, why don't you retake the MCAT? You may be able to slide by maybe one of these, but it will be a random school. If you retake and get a 30, you will probably get into UMass. The acceptance rate there is high for in-state (~25-30%).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey:
My current score (24T) is actually my second attempt at the MCAT...the first time I got a 20S, and the 24T was after 9 months of studying. If I do retake, I run the risk of going down, a risk I am not willing to take. The test just kicks my ass...yet I know I will excel in med school, given the chance.

BTW, my GPA in sci and overall is >3.9, and I have tons of medically-relevent research, great LORs, many jobs to pay for college, awards/publications/honors, shadowing...it's really a great app except the MCAT. I am hoping some schools get past this flaw and actually see the dedicated, hard working guy ready to bust his ass in med school lurking in the shadows!!! :laugh:

RS

I will somewhat reword the post.

To the OP. If you studied 9 months for the MCAT and could only achieve a 25T, why do you think you can go to a school like Harvard or Dartmouth, where people most likely studied 1/3 that long and pulled off a much higher score (33 or 34 average). We're talking 55% vs. 95%.

I find it pretentious of you to think that you're worthy of the best school in the country when you have obvoiusly failed in a certain area.

I do however, think you can still get into medical school, but I do think you should realize that the standardized tests only get harder and carry an increasing importance at each step.

I did research for 4 years, I know that publications are more dependent on who you're working with and the project than on what you do. I also know that gpa is completely dependent on undergrad and class selection. The MCAT is fair, and I question anyone who can't do relatively well on that test b/c the usual reasons for it are due to 1) slow reading 2) bad comprehension 3) not enough studying.

As for your original question: take off Harvard, Dartmouth and Boston U (they cost 100 for a fake secondary and I am positive they have numerical cutoffs).

did he ever suggest using connections to get in? i missed that...maybe it's in there

dude, ryan....retake the mcat if you really want a top 20...with a 3.9 and a 30+ mcat i would say you have a good shot....but that 25 is a real killer, even for just allopathic school in general

feel free to pm me if you have any more questions

p.s. i just saw it: "harvard...there is a reason why"- now i see!

I have a 27P (I bombed PS), >3.9, UT resident.

U of U
Loyola
George Washington
Rosalind Franklin
MCW
Albert Einstein
OHSU
New York Medical
Albany
Tulane
Saint Louis

RyanS32122 said:
Just wondering if perhaps those of us who have really VERY strong applications, except for the MCAT (like around 25), can post where they are applying, and what state they are from. This will give us a better perspective on the process. I am preparing to submit, but am just unsure of the school selections.

MA RESIDENT
Albany
Boston U
Brown
Crieghton
Dartmouth
Drexel
George Washington
Harvard (there is a reason why)
Howard
Loma Linda
Med. Coll. Wisconsin
SUNY Upstate
U. Vermont COM
Tufts
UMASS MED (top choice...love it)
U of Nebraska (have family there)

Any comments on the above list? Any schools that should be added which are known for being less MCAT-intensive in their decision making? Post your schools if you are around 25...lets get a good useful thread going. I am also applying DO, but I am more concerned with school selections on the MD side.

Thanks everyone ;)

RS
I think you have to take boston,brown, syny off of the list. Thhey need a high MCAT score

To the OP, I think it's FANTASTIC you think you're worthy of a school like Harvard and quite frankly I don't think you have to explain jack ****e to anyone about why you're applying. The fact is that not only are there people AT Harvard with 25 MCAT's (and not all URM's either) but there are GRADUATES of Harvard with 25 and LOWER MCAT's too! Granted, a higher MCAT would give you a better chance but who knows, you may just get a second look!

YOU think you deserve a shot, so go for it and good luck! :thumbup:

1Path said:
To the OP, I think it's FANTASTIC you think you're worthy of a school like Harvard and quite frankly I don't think you have to explain jack ****e to anyone about why you're applying. The fact is that not only are there people AT Harvard with 25 MCAT's (and not all URM's either) but there are GRADUATES of Harvard with 25 and LOWER MCAT's too! Granted, a higher MCAT would give you a better chance but who knows, you may just get a second look!

YOU think you deserve a shot, so go for it and good luck! :thumbup:

LOL "jack ****e"? Good one.

We're all unique snowflakes, aren't we?

Peterock said:
LOL "jack ****e"? Good one.

We're all unique snowflakes, aren't we?
Why are you so insecure with yourself that you have to put other people down. We should all be commended on even getting this far, let alone having the guts to apply to Harvard with an MCAT like that! Try concentrating on your own weak points (whch you do have because I just found one...), get off SDN, and spend some time reflecting on how much you will be tolerated (or not...) by your future classmates and collegues.
As for Harvard, you're right. A 25 stands very little chance of acceptance. However, I personally would never even apply to Harvard because too many of those who get accepted there are people like you: arrogant, rude, and just a tad too analytical. Chill and be nice! :mad:

dragonmate said:
Why are you so insecure with yourself that you have to put other people down. We should all be commended on even getting this far, let alone having the guts to apply to Harvard with an MCAT like that! Try concentrating on your own weak points (whch you do have because I just found one...), get off SDN, and spend some time reflecting on how much you will be tolerated (or not...) by your future classmates and collegues.
As for Harvard, you're right. A 25 stands very little chance of acceptance. However, I personally would never even apply to Harvard because too many of those who get accepted there are people like you: arrogant, rude, and just a tad too analytical. Chill and be nice! :mad:

You know he is sitting on an acceptance to UNC right? I don't think he has much to be insecure about. :laugh:

i don't think a person's security has (should have) anything to do with what medical school they are attending; in fact, i don't think it has anything to do with medicine at all. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
qqq said:
i don't think a person's security has (should have) anything to do with what medical school they are attending; in fact, i don't think it has anything to do with medicine at all. :luck:
Amen!! He could be holding a seat at every top 20 med school for all I care and I would still say he had security issues. :rolleyes:

dragonmate said:
Amen!! He could be holding a seat at every top 20 med school for all I care and I would still say he had security issues. :rolleyes:

just because he is sitting on an acceptance to UNC doesn't mean he is secure, he was far too harsh to be considered secure. There's plenty of my classmates going to great schools who are insecure, mainly because they're unnatractive, friendless and unathletic - so I hardly see how his acceptance to UNC would make him necessarily secure, especially since real confidence could never come from a college acceptance. And clearly he is insecure, he was out of line and rude when someone asked for friendly advice

I find it amusing that I'm being psychoanalyzed over sdn based on a single post - and then the same people are saying that I am insecure and spend too much time on SDN! Pot to kettle, pot to kettle... you're looking extremely BLACK! :laugh:

Anyway, a friend on sdn with a good gpa and a great MCAT (35+) applied to tons of schools and looking over his mdapplicants I started laughing at some of the schools he applied to (ie Stanford, Harvard, Dartmouth etc). He had no chance. NOW he knows he had no chance. And he wishes someone had said something to him before. It really is obvious if you know enough people and their experiences. He lost money and time and more than anything, the process was a huge emotional investment.

I think the "yay, go for it!" Sesame Street mentality that sometimes pervades this website is absurd and unjust. In the interest of appearing "nice" over an internet forum many people dole out poor advice.

If this candidate is set on wasting time, money and emotional energy; nothing I say will change his/her actions. So it's all moot anyway.

Peterock said:
I think the "yay, go for it!" Sesame Street mentality that sometimes pervades this website is absurd and unjust. In the interest of appearing "nice" over an internet forum many people dole out poor advice.

It's not at all about being nice, it's about the tried and true advice of applying to schools in ALL three teirs.

Peterock said:
I find it amusing that I'm being psychoanalyzed over sdn based on a single post - and then the same people are saying that I am insecure and spend too much time on SDN! Pot to kettle, pot to kettle... you're looking extremely BLACK! :laugh:

Anyway, a friend on sdn with a good gpa and a great MCAT (35+) applied to tons of schools and looking over his mdapplicants I started laughing at some of the schools he applied to (ie Stanford, Harvard, Dartmouth etc). He had no chance. NOW he knows he had no chance. And he wishes someone had said something to him before. It really is obvious if you know enough people and their experiences. He lost money and time and more than anything, the process was a huge emotional investment.

If this candidate is set on wasting time, money and emotional energy; nothing I say will change his/her actions. So it's all moot anyway.

i agree with what you're saying to a certain extent...

also, might i ask what might have been missing from this candidate's application? b/c his numbers are above those schools' averages...

thanks!

1Path said:
It's not at all about being nice, it's about the tried and true advice of applying to schools in ALL three teirs.

This is a valid point, but in this case it is not applicable.
That advice is for someone with a 3.65gpa and a 30 MCAT (ie the AVERAGE premed applicant). If you do not have those numbers, you shift downward. (That advice is generally for ugrads anyway.)

I think it's harder to establish a 3-tier system when you have 5000 applications to a single school with 120 slots.

Apply to your state schools, apply to private schools that are typically open to out of staters (look at the MSAR) and have lower MCAT averages (again MSAR). If you still think I'm a total douche and you want to apply to a top school... find ones with really detailed secondaries that allow you to stand out through your writing (a T is not a fluke... nor is a 25, but I respect writing talent quite a bit and you should use that to your advantage).

I like peterock. He entertains me and I usually agree with what he says. He comes off as a tad bitter sometimes, but he speaks the truth and pulls no punches. I just thought I would psychoanalyze while I had the chance.

Peterock said:
This is a valid point, but in this case it is not applicable.
That advice is for someone with a 3.65gpa and a 30 MCAT (ie the AVERAGE premed applicant). If you do not have those numbers, you shift downward. (That advice is generally for ugrads anyway.)

I think it's harder to establish a 3-tier system when you have 5000 applications to a single school with 120 slots.

Apply to your state schools, apply to private schools that are typically open to out of staters (look at the MSAR) and have lower MCAT averages (again MSAR). If you still think I'm a total douche and you want to apply to a top school... find ones with really detailed secondaries that allow you to stand out through your writing (a T is not a fluke... nor is a 25, but I respect writing talent quite a bit and you should use that to your advantage).
Now that's better. At least this is substantial, real advice instead of mindless put-downs. Way to go Peterock! :thumbup:

dragonmate said:
Now that's better. At least this is substantial, real advice instead of mindless put-downs. Way to go Peterock! :thumbup:

In the words of the great Dr. Dre.

So f*ck ya'll, all of ya'll,
If ya'll don't like me bl0w me...

Peterock said:

yes :thumbup:

willthatsall said:
I like peterock. He entertains me and I usually agree with what he says. He comes off as a tad bitter sometimes, but he speaks the truth and pulls no punches. I just thought I would psychoanalyze while I had the chance.

Peterock has a pleasant aroma with a taste that is bitter yet palatable.

kdwuma said:
TN RESIDENT:
vanderbilt
UT memphis
east tn state
meharry
howard
emory
baylor
umdnj
umdnj-rjw
temple
morehouse
roslin franklin

Ain't much of a chance at Vandy with a 24 or 25.

I would consider myself someone with a relativly high GPA and relatively low MCAT, so here is my list.

(GPA, 3.7, MCAT 28Q)
Florida resident

UFlorida
U Miami
Emory
Vanderbilt
Georgetown
George Washington
Tufts
Boston U
U Chicago
Northwestern
NYU
Columbia

Go ahead, criticize away

Opallife said:
I would consider myself someone with a relativly high GPA and relatively low MCAT, so here is my list.

(GPA, 3.7, MCAT 28Q)
Florida resident

UFlorida
U Miami
Emory
Vanderbilt
Georgetown
George Washington
Tufts
Boston U
U Chicago
Northwestern
NYU
Columbia

Go ahead, criticize away

I probably would spend the money of the northwestern secondary on another school. That's a number whoring school. Actually, your list has a lot of reach schools and not enough middle tier schools. I'd probably add places like albany, u of rochester, rosalind franklin, penn state, nymc. It's better to play it safe than sorry.

skiracer90 said:
I probably would spend the money of the northwestern secondary on another school. That's a number whoring school. Actually, your list has a lot of reach schools and not enough middle tier schools. I'd probably add places like albany, u of rochester, rosalind franklin, penn state, nymc. It's better to play it safe than sorry.

Yea, not that I am biased, but URoch aint exactly mid-tier. 3.7 31 avg, supposedly higher for next year. If you want another safety for that list, add Drexel and Temple.

I'm not biased at all, but I'm with Rzarecta. Drexel and Temple are much better "safeties" than Rochester (I had a 3.65, 32 and got no interview love from them).

Add Penn State.

Opallife said:

(GPA, 3.7, MCAT 28Q)
Florida resident

UFlorida
U Miami
Emory
Vanderbilt
Georgetown
George Washington
Tufts
Boston U
U Chicago
Northwestern
NYU
Columbia

Go ahead, criticize away
For sure add FSU and USF no matter what. The privates you listed might not give you too much love.