Those of you currently in optometry school, are you having a lot of difficulty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I have two nurses in my family. It is true that the didactic courses in nursing and its board exam may not be as hard compared to our OD education, but their clinical rotations are tougher. Nursing is not for the squeamish or the faint of heart. However, if you could get through the schooling and once you get out, you will have good job security, great benefits, and can choose to work in different specialties or settings that suit you such as hospitals, clinics, or doctors' offices (which are easier and less demanding than hospitals)

But then again, nursing is not for everybody and is not as easy as you think if it does not suit your personality. I think you have a lot of soul-searching to do. You have to research the profession carefully and know that you are entering it for the right reasons. You will get no where in life if you jump ship at the first sign of hardship.

+1 very well said advice

Members don't see this ad.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% positive you need some RN experience before you can go NP.

If you can hop right to an NP program w/ no experience...that is just messed up.

You can go straight into an NP program if you already have a bachelors. Most schools require you to have a high GPA and take the GRE. It's called a MSN. You get your bachelor's and masters in nursing in 3 years. I heard it's torture, but it's the right pathway for some...doesn't seem like it would be the right fit for her though.

That's kind of where I am right now, too. I mean as of now I have all A's and B's, but the workload is ridiculous, and I'm starting to forget what it feels like to be happy and to actually look forward to some part of the day, and I just really question whether or not it's worth it.

Honestly, if I'm going to do all of this work, I'm thinking that I might as well have the freedom of an MD or DO. I'm wearing out though.

The number one thing that bothers me right now about optometry school is the way that they constantly threaten to fail you or kick you out for one mistake. I know that this is a serious job with serious implications, but we're not in school to be neurosurgeons. A few mistakes would not necessarily mean that someone is going to be a bad doctor.

Stop focusing on failing... Focus on passing. There is an old saying ..if you think you can or you think you can't, either way you are right! Give it all you got, then decide.

Ya I feel like getting a bad grade really shocked me into realizing that, unlike undergrad, I actually have to study now! I physically go to the classes that are just Optometry, but some of the bigger classes, it seems the same to just watch the videos. I just spent close to 48 hours of the last weekend studying for a midterm so things seem to have changed already haha. Thanks for the advice.

OMG... suck it up. We all did. Opto school, med school, dent school... all these are upper level stuff, it's time to step up to the plate.

I secluded myself and studied hard... we would go to class from 9-5, I'd work out from 5-7 and eat dinner at that time, then back to the library from 7-12midnight for more studying. Then on the weekend, we'd do 12noon-10pm studying... both on saturday and sunday. Then we'd do it all over again.

Maybe we'd go out once every month or two... but mostly, we were all business. I remember looking out of our school's windows at night, the Chicago skyline would be right there, I'd look down at the streets and I'd see people laughing, walking in crooked manners with their drunk friends. It sucked. It was terrible. I felt like a prisoner.

It wasn't easy but it was very manageable as long as you put in the time.

The OP needs to learn to put in the time. Yes, this time of your career is terrible... but you will reap some rewards later.

You will get to do what you love, you will get to bear some great responsibility once you're out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean to disrespect you but you come across as having a very weak mentality towards any sort of challenge. It seems like you want a career that makes you money but w/o having to put up much an effort. If you are getting D's and C's it means you're not trying. What were your expectations of optometry school? Anything worth having means you will have to sacrifice for it.

Just a tip, I am a firm believer of one step at a time. Example: DO NOT look ahead to boards or next semester or even finals. Focus on the challenges that present next in your path and put all your energy and effort towards that. I promise optometry school (and life) will be easier when you keep it simple like this.

I don't mean to disrespect you but you come across as having a very weak mentality towards any sort of challenge. It seems like you want a career that makes you money but w/o having to put up much an effort. If you are getting D's and C's it means you're not trying. What were your expectations of optometry school? Anything worth having means you will have to sacrifice for it.

Just a tip, I am a firm believer of one step at a time. Example: DO NOT look ahead to boards or next semester or even finals. Focus on the challenges that present next in your path and put all your energy and effort towards that. I promise optometry school (and life) will be easier when you keep it simple like this.

/end thread

Last edited: