Those "unofficial" fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pewl

The Dude Abides
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the topic has been brought up before regarding the non-ACGME rad onc fellowships out there. ASTRO even has a list of some of them now. How difficult, exactly, is it to get a 1 year fellowship at one of the major institutions like MDACC, MSKCC etc.

Also, is there like a sample or set curriculum for these fellowships or is it like a custom-designed one?

Members don't see this ad.

These are generally arranged on case-by-case basis - depends on what are you planning to accomplish in that year. I'd simply call the institution that you have in mind.

How difficult, exactly, is it to get a 1 year fellowship at one of the major institutions like MDACC, MSKCC etc.

Very few grads go on to do fellowships, so if you express interest early and keep in contact with the right people at the institution you are interested in, I don't imagine it would be that difficult to procure a spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very few grads go on to do fellowships, so if you express interest early and keep in contact with the right people at the institution you are interested in, I don't imagine it would be that difficult to procure a spot.

I guess this begs the question, do they pay you at all during the fellowship? Like, do you at least get a fellow salary? What's the general attitude of these instituations towards these types of unofficial fellows? I figure they'd be quite happy to have a near-attending level guy on staff for fellow pay. Upon completion do they give you like a "certificate of completion" at least, or anything that indicates that you were actually there? haha

Some pay fellow salaries (institutional PGY-6 pay level) others pay "junior attending" salaries, i.e. instructor level. The ones paying junior attending salaries are usually doing it prior to hiring as faculty (i.e. hire as a fellow with the intent of hiring as faculty).

I guess this begs the question, do they pay you at all during the fellowship? Like, do you at least get a fellow salary? What's the general attitude of these instituations towards these types of unofficial fellows? I figure they'd be quite happy to have a near-attending level guy on staff for fellow pay. Upon completion do they give you like a "certificate of completion" at least, or anything that indicates that you were actually there? haha

My older brother is a PM&R resident who will be completing a non-ACGME accredited fellowship next year. He is getting paid a bit more than traditional fellowships. You might want to keep in mind that if you do a non-accredited fellowship you can't keep your loans in forbearance, or at least, my brother's lender is not permitting him to. This might be important if you have a family or other considerations. The payments are pretty hefty on a fellow's salary.