Those who are taking a year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liquidshock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your plans?
I guess it would be the best to get a research job, but I feel too lazy to work full-time :oops: I was going to take few classes at a community college, but I am so sick of going to classes and taking exams... :oops: :oops: :oops:
I know there's a secondary question asking for your plans for those who are taking a year off before med school... Can I just say I will be resting?
What are your plan and how are you guys gonna answer the question?

Members don't see this ad.

Liquidshock said:
What are your plans?
I guess it would be the best to get a research job, but I feel too lazy to work full-time :oops: I was going to take few classes at a community college, but I am so sick of going to classes and taking exams... :oops: :oops: :oops:
I know there's a secondary question asking for your plans for those who are taking a year off before med school... Can I just say I will be resting?
What are your plan and how are you guys gonna answer the question?

Joining AmeriCorps.

BTW, you should probably plan on doing something other than "restiing" during your year off. It's an easy interview question, and you'll need a good answer. You can definitely do something fun and non-science related, but definitely do something.

Well I am going to have a glide year, so I decided I am going to push back one of my classes until that fall. Also since I will not have graduated I might take a few extra classes to make me eligible at more schools (biochem and cal I).

Also I plan on working, which will probably be in a hospital. I think I will be working less, taking less credits than usual and probably doing no research. So it should be a good time to do interviews and the like.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was traveling for a while, and now I'm sending out my resume. I think the schools would want to see something more than "I've been resting". I'm applying for research jobs and pharm. jobs, and tutoring jobs. Although I'm open if anything comes along. I'm also thinking that I might take some classes just for fun, like photography, video, and a cooking class. Not sure yet. For the secondaries, I just say I've been traveling and because of this, I wasn't able to secure a job, but I'm sending out resumes.

Loyola MAMS, i wanted to do a study abroad...but realized it would probably be a good idea to stay in the country so I could go to interviews

I am working as an instrumentation engineer saving the moolah. Hopefully I'll graduate with about $50K less debt.

right now, I'm leaning towards working full time and doing part-time research...although i might throw a couple of UD bio classes in the mix...

My parents still hate the idea of me taking a year off.

But I will be working full-time (hopefully in a research position).