Those who did well in Organic...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoDucks69

some dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you memorize just the rxns in the Kaplan book or did you go into the textbook?

Members don't see this ad.

i went through my textbook, although Kaplan book's reactions is really all you need to do well on the orgo section. Do go over Diels Alder rxn though because that's not covered in Kaplan's for an unknown reason. It really depends on your level of understanding of organic chemistry. If you understood absolutely everything when you took it and still remember a good chunk, Kaplan would be good if you're short on time. If you forgot absolutely everything from orgo and wants to relearn the theory behind how certain reactions take place, then go through your text.

GoDucks69 said:
Did you memorize just the rxns in the Kaplan book or did you go into the textbook?

Yea I memorize all the reaction and if you have taken the class, just go over the class notes, if you know the class notes really good, then you should definately ace the orgo section. I did that and got a 22 in organic!

GoDucks69 said:

I found it more useful to practice mechanisms till you go insane and really think about WHY reactions go the way that they do. Your book will probably not give mechanisms for all reactions and some of these reactions will probably not make much sense why they go the way they go. For these reactions write them all down on a piece of paper and look at it till you drop or have your family/friends ask you questions off of the sheet.

This may not work for you but instead of counting sheep before I go to sleep I like to think about mechanisms and reactions, I wake up the next morning and know the stuff cold! Also remember that there is not better practice for understanding reactions than thinking through synthesis problems. If you practice synthesis problems enough you will do just fine for the test.

PLEASE NOT THAT THIS IS WHAT I DID FOR BOTH ORGANIC CHEMISTRY COURSES AND NOT THE DAT (I have not taken it yet), sorry if I have caused any confusion

Members don't see this ad :)
Synthesis is my mortal enemy in orgo. I can never get them...no matter how much I studied. Thank god synthesis on the DAT's was kept to a minimal amount. Mostly it deals with conceptuals and basic reactions, which I am quite good at. When I took orgo, I got B and B-, but I aced the DAT orgo with a score of 25.

for dat's, ochem is pretty simple. as long as you know certain rules, and memorizing a bunch of reactions, you should perform pretty well.

It seems that learning mechanisms is something to do only if you have extra time to spend on it. I probably would be better served memorizing the rxns and spending my time on other sections.

I only read McMury's O'Chem book and got 25. I didn't read Kaplan's o'chem chapters at all. The subject tests are really good to identify weaknesses but Kaplan's O'Chem chapters are inadequate.

GoDucks69 said:

dat_student said:
I only read McMury's O'Chem book and got 25. I didn't read Kaplan's o'chem chapters at all. The subject tests are really good to identify weaknesses but Kaplan's O'Chem chapters are inadequate.

I dont see how you say the Kaplan chapters are inadequate when you said you didn't read them at all. Also since you probably only took the test once, maybe the Kaplan chapters are enough and you just learned more than what was necessary. Unless you remember the questions on your ochem sections and went through the Kaplan book specifically looking for those questions. Im just looking for some clearification as to why you think the Kaplan chapters are inadequate.

I havent taken orgo for almost a year, and kinda slacked of during it.... Think kaplan would be sufficient?? I do not have my text anymore (sold it back). If Kaplan is not sufficient enough, any other books i can get at Barnes and Noble or somthing? Like Schuams or somthin

I thougth that Orgo was the easiest section on the DAT. That was one of the only sections that I didn't spend much time studying. Just go over the practice problems.

If you understand Kaplan, and do well on their subject tests, you'll destroy the DAT. Textbook is great for reference, but has way too much more information than needed for the DAT. Couple friends of mine and I used Kaplan as the guide for chemistries and only used textbooks as a reference. We're all happy with our scores. The chems on DAT are quite straight forward. Use your time for something else, like Bio and PAT. Good Luck!