Those who matched on J1 visa .....please reply!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sue

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
the J1 visa is
"Multiple entry and For one year Able to be renewed until you finish residency and fellowship".
First question :
--------------
But after finishing the first year ...How do we renew it? I hear this should be done from home country ...well , I would be glad to renew it from home country but the problem is that issuing and renewing visas takes now more than 33 days "WHICH EXCEEDS OUR VACATIONS" ........So how could we do that and our vacation is much less than time needed to renew j1 visa??

Second question
---------------
Suppose you went for a vacation for one or two weeks to your home country within the first year.......and your visa is still valid and for mutiple entry and before leaving you obtained your NEW IAP-66 .....Upon re-entering ...Can you show your unexpired multiple J1 entry and the NEW IAP-66 for PGY-2 "not the old one for PGY-1" so as to get the new one year valid I-94 ?

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:•••the problem is that issuing and renewing visas takes now more than 33 days "WHICH EXCEEDS OUR VACATIONS" ........So how could we do that and our vacation is much less than time needed to renew j1 visa??••••...and that's the problem facing most of us who're on J1s. I guess we'll have to work out some arrangement with the program.

•••quote:•••your visa is still valid and for mutiple entry and before leaving you obtained your NEW IAP-66 .....Upon re-entering ...Can you show your unexpired multiple J1 entry and the NEW IAP-66 for PGY-2 "not the old one for PGY-1" so as to get the new one year valid I-94 ?••••As I said before, the J1 does not use I94s for validity. When the visa is issued, it shows the date to which it is valid. Upon entry, no I94 is issued. To get the visa renewed, you submit the PGY-2 IAP-66 and the passport to the embassy and get a new visa issued on your passport, valid for the duration of the PGY-2 year.