Thought this was interesting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psu17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across this and thought I'd share
It's PTCAS's stats from last cycle- how many applied/were accepted, gender, age, race, GPA, undergrad major and university stats, ect..

One poor person applied to 80 schools and didn't get in to a single one

http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&CONTENTID=77559&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm

Members don't see this ad.

Nice I was waiting for APTA to post this. I have seen the one from 2008 which is the reason why I applied to 16 programs.

I'd hate to be the person that applied to 80 programs and didn't get in at all.

Last edited:
80 programs?! How does one even begin to afford 80 programs!?! I mean, even with the fee waiver, you still have to pay for the additional applications... that's like +$2700!!!!!

CA residents were accepted the most out of everyone else... (582 acceptances) and I'm glad to see PA was the 4th state with the most acceptances (since that's where I live haha!). And the University of Pittsburgh supplied the most accepted students in the entire nation.

3.47 was the average GPA of all accepted students... This report is super interesting, but I'm not going to lie... I am REALLY glad that this didn't come out until AFTER I got my acceptances, or else I would be analyzing and reanalyzing this stuff until I made myself sick, trying to figure out the probability of me getting into a program.

Members don't see this ad :)
80 programs?! How does one even begin to afford 80 programs!?! I mean, even with the fee waiver, you still have to pay for the additional applications... that's like +$2700!!!!!

CA residents were accepted the most out of everyone else... (582 acceptances) and I'm glad to see PA was the 4th state with the most acceptances (since that's where I live haha!). And the University of Pittsburgh supplied the most accepted students in the entire nation.

3.47 was the average GPA of all accepted students... This report is super interesting, but I'm not going to lie... I am REALLY glad that this didn't come out until AFTER I got my acceptances, or else I would be analyzing and reanalyzing this stuff until I made myself sick, trying to figure out the probability of me getting into a program.

I know right! If I applied to that many programs and didn't get just ONE offer, that would tell me PT isn't for me, lol! Wow! He deserves a reward or something for that! Guiness World Records anyone?

I know right! If I applied to that many programs and didn't get just ONE offer, that would tell me PT isn't for me, lol! Wow! He deserves a reward or something for that! Guiness World Records anyone?

At least for world's biggest letdown!!!

At least for world's biggest letdown!!!

He needs to be paid for that effort! I don't think any one of us in this forum is as determined as that person was in trying to get into a school....dang! Now if I were a Director of a program and this person applied to my program and mentioned that they applied to 80 different programs last year and didn't get one offer, my review process would be over.......HE's Accepted!

These are very interesting stats. I am interested to see how our class stacks up to the competition when the APTA releases the reports next cycle. I,too, was happy to see PA represent since that's where I am from too. When the numbers are broken down, it fascinating to see how competitive this process can be. For that person that applied to 80 schools............:shrug:. When I say that number I wondered if it was a typo, but apparently not.

These are very interesting stats. I am interested to see how our class stacks up to the competition when the APTA releases the reports next cycle. I,too, was happy to see PA represent since that's where I am from too. When the numbers are broken down, it fascinating to see how competitive this process can be. For that person that applied to 80 schools............:shrug:. When I say that number I wondered if it was a typo, but apparently not.

I hope I meet this person! I would go to a school and beg for his acceptance! Truly one of the saddest stories I've ever heard of!

I don't know whether to commend him/her for not giving up hope. Or shake my head because he/she needed a reality check. Am I right guys. Some applicants need to understand that some GPAs arent good enough and just bump it up just a a tiny bit more to help themselves. I mean I'm all for the hope thing but even I know when to stop. Not directed at anyone. This person probably had a 2.5 or something. Because I have seen people with 2.8s get in.

I don't know whether to commend him/her for not giving up hope. Or shake my head because he/she needed a reality check. Am I right guys. Some applicants need to understand that some GPAs arent good enough and just bump it up just a a tiny bit more to help themselves. I mean I'm all for the hope thing but even I know when to stop. Not directed at anyone. This person probably had a 2.5 or something. Because I have seen people with 2.8s get in.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. I tend to lean toward the latter. The trend appears to be that the more schools a person applies to, then the less confident he/she is in the overall quality of their application. Now there are people who want to see a variety of programs, myself included, but 80 programs is outrageous even for the most curious and investigative applicants out there. DPT is certainly competitive, but if you do the numbers then the person applied to more than 1/3 of the programs in the ENTIRE COUNTRY! I am still SMH with a side of face palm!

It should be noted though, that percentage-wise, there is roughly the same % of accepted applicants per state as there was applicants per state. For example, CA applicants made up 11.7% of applicants, and 12.11% of accepted applicants. Just to give those people not from CA some perspective....your state shouldn't matter so much whether or not you get in! :)

I am definitely doing that analyzing and reanalyzing right now. Haven't made myself sick...yet :/

I am definitely doing that analyzing and reanalyzing right now. Haven't made myself sick...yet :/

Do you seriously believe you're not getting in with your stats??? Apply to FAMU if you're worried LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear you... I'm sure you'll get accepted somewhere, if not multiple places because you are a strong candidate, but I understand that nothing is "for sure" until those letters start coming in! Have faith! :)

I came across this and thought I'd share
It's PTCAS's stats from last cycle- how many applied/were accepted, gender, age, race, GPA, undergrad major and university stats, ect..

One poor person applied to 80 schools and didn't get in to a single one

http://www.apta.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&CONTENTID=77559&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm

I just stumbled across this the other day as well. I was actually amazed at the detail they get into. If anyone on the forums really wants to know what their chances are and how they measure up against other applicants, THIS is where they should be looking instead of getting biased opinions in the forums. A few things I found interesting that I've seen debated in the forums in the past...

1. Accepted female applicants have higher average GPAs in EVERY single GPA breakdown than accepted male applicants. Are schools trying to even out the gender breakdown?
2. The average cumulative GPA for accepted applicants is a 3.47 (SD of .32) An interesting note if you are a below 3.0 applicant.

Do you seriously believe you're not getting in with your stats??? Apply to FAMU if you're worried LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I heard somewhere that FAMU lost their accreditation? That may or may not be true, but I don't think I would go there either way because a PT I work with said that they were trying to transition from a MPT to a DPT but didn't send in the papers on time, so she did the coursework of a DPT but only came away with an MPT. To add onto that, I've grown up in Tallahassee. All. My. Life. I'm ready to leave. haha. But I appreciate your encouragement! I hope I get in somewhere. But like Markel said, it's never a 'sure' thing until you see it on paper (or email)

I'm surprised that the average GPA is *only* a 3.47. I would've honestly thought it to be higher. What would be interesting is if they would've included GRE scores to ease the mind of some people with test anxiety (like me)

Sometime during my undergrad I remember being told by a professor that the field of PT has significantly more males than females and thus females may have an advantage when applying to school - I'm not sure how true this is..I'm currently working for a big company and we had our Christmas party the other day (several clinics in the area)...I'd say it was 90% female. I've volunteered at 2 other places: one place had 6 PT's - 5 female and 1 male, and the other has 2 PTS, both female.
Obviously I can't just base it off of my experiences, but it got me wondering - maybe, it's just my area but I know of a lot more female PTs than male PTs
The link also shows many more females applied this year and last year than males

Those of you who have gone to interviews..have you noticed a lot more females or males? or was it about even?

As far as the GPA..I thought it would be a 3.4-3.5, so I wasn't surprised by that. I would also be interested to see GRE scores.

I was surprised by how many people started the application but didn't submit it - almost as many as mailed applications

and I'm guessing the person who applied to 80 schools had worse than a 2.5 haha..or possibly had some sort of record

I think I heard somewhere that FAMU lost their accreditation? That may or may not be true, but I don't think I would go there either way because a PT I work with said that they were trying to transition from a MPT to a DPT but didn't send in the papers on time, so she did the coursework of a DPT but only came away with an MPT. To add onto that, I've grown up in Tallahassee. All. My. Life. I'm ready to leave. haha. But I appreciate your encouragement! I hope I get in somewhere. But like Markel said, it's never a 'sure' thing until you see it on paper (or email)

I'm surprised that the average GPA is *only* a 3.47. I would've honestly thought it to be higher. What would be interesting is if they would've included GRE scores to ease the mind of some people with test anxiety (like me)
Well I've lived in Tallahassee and still do since 1993. And to be honest, after going abroad for weeks at a time. Coming "home" always makes me feel good. Especially when I came back from my interviews in Philly and Chicago. I've been a rural kid all my life and being in the "city" atmosphere was a new experience. I Really, really, really liked it though. A huge part of me wants to leave but I will always have a little something for Tally, that and my family lives here haha.

You'll hear soon from one school then all of them will start coming in. And plus, even I'm confident in you're stats. Haha.

As far as the male:female ratio goes. I've always thought that there were more females in PT anyway and it shows in undergrad (getting to know classmates) and at interviews. Now one thing that stood out was mostly everyone that was at both my interviews were white. I could have sworn I was the only minority at RFUMS. Of the 93, it was me and all white people. At temple I ha two other of my peeps there but still pretty low. I strongly believe this is why I've been given these opportunities so far.

Sometime during my undergrad I remember being told by a professor that the field of PT has significantly more males than females and thus females may have an advantage when applying to school - I'm not sure how true this is..

Sounds like your professor was misinformed or misspoke. Physical Therapy is and always has been female dominated. I believe the latest statistic put out by the APTA was 7:3 female to male. This is fairly representative of what I've seen in clinics, PT programs, and at conferences. This is actually why there has been talk that males may be accepted with slightly lower stats, so that programs can bring in more males for whatever reason.