Thoughts about timing of fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nervous Ned

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some questions for those of you who are fellows or attending toxicologists. What are your thoughts about taking some time off in between residency and fellowship (not a ton of time, but like maybe a year or two) versus going straight into fellowship? Did any of you take time off? If so, what did you do? I assume most people would work as EPs. Also, how much harder do you think it is to go back after some time away from training versus coming straight out of residency? I think it would potentially be harder because you'd have to take a hit in income and you'd maybe be less competitive for fellowships versus an applicant coming straight from residency. Finally, when is the best time to apply for fellowship? Should you start applying a year in advance of when you want to start?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some insight.

Members don't see this ad.

I have some questions for those of you who are fellows or attending toxicologists. What are your thoughts about taking some time off in between residency and fellowship (not a ton of time, but like maybe a year or two) versus going straight into fellowship? Did any of you take time off? If so, what did you do? I assume most people would work as EPs. Also, how much harder do you think it is to go back after some time away from training versus coming straight out of residency? I think it would potentially be harder because you'd have to take a hit in income and you'd maybe be less competitive for fellowships versus an applicant coming straight from residency. Finally, when is the best time to apply for fellowship? Should you start applying a year in advance of when you want to start?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some insight.

Lots of questions and I'm zonked; I'll write more when rested.

Short answer - it depends. In regards to the paycheck, it can be tough especially w/ dependents. But, if you don't expand your lifestyle much, then not too much of a disadvantage methinks.

As for applying, med tox is in the Match as of the incoming 2014 fellowship class... somewhat changes the timeframe & mechanics. However, you should aim to be applying by the summer betwixt your penultimate and final years of residency.

Cheers!
-d

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Lots of questions and I'm zonked; I'll write more when rested.

Short answer - it depends. In regards to the paycheck, it can be tough especially w/ dependents. But, if you don't expand your lifestyle much, then not too much of a disadvantage methinks.

As for applying, med tox is in the Match as of the incoming 2014 fellowship class... somewhat changes the timeframe & mechanics. However, you should aim to be applying by the summer betwixt your penultimate and final years of residency.

Cheers!
-d

This actually answered one question of mine. So that's new. I couldn't find it on the NRMP website, so I'm guessing it will be added soon. In a way I like the match, and in another way, I wanted to do it like job offers - one at a time. Does it look like most / all programs are doing it this way, or will it be a trickle-in type of thing? Kind of changes how / where I would interview for sure. Applying this summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
This actually answered one question of mine. So that's new. I couldn't find it on the NRMP website, so I'm guessing it will be added soon. In a way I like the match, and in another way, I wanted to do it like job offers - one at a time. Does it look like most / all programs are doing it this way, or will it be a trickle-in type of thing? Kind of changes how / where I would interview for sure. Applying this summer.

All accredited programs are now using the match process. It's possible that a new program might offer outside, but I'm unaware of any new ones coming down the pipe this year.

It's actually better for the applicants; previously, you might get an offer (time limited) before finishing all your interviews... placing one in the position of having to gamble.

Cheers & good luck!
-d

All accredited programs are now using the match process. It's possible that a new program might offer outside, but I'm unaware of any new ones coming down the pipe this year.

It's actually better for the applicants; previously, you might get an offer (time limited) before finishing all your interviews... placing one in the position of having to gamble.

Cheers & good luck!
-d

Thanks!

I think I still have PTSD from NRMP. I'm pretty sure I looked like :scared: when I read that post at first. I believe it is better (and easier to submit things), but just still scared. It's like taking an exam and feeling like you fail every time (but don't).

Thanks!

I think I still have PTSD from NRMP. I'm pretty sure I looked like :scared: when I read that post at first. I believe it is better (and easier to submit things), but just still scared. It's like taking an exam and feeling like you fail every time (but don't).

PS - this came through on the ACMT listserv earlier today:

After many years of discussion and debate, the Fellowship Directors via the ACMT Fellowship Directors’ Committee voted to join the National Resident Matching Program. This move will professionalize the process of interviewing and selecting future Medical Toxicologists. The following is the timeline for the match in 2013 for fellows beginning training July 2014:

•August 7, 2013 Match opens
•September 25, 2013 Rank order list entry opens
•October 23, 2013 Quota change deadline
•November 6, 2013 Rank order list certification deadline
•November 20, 2013 Match Day

Please circulate this information to your faculty, fellows, prospective applicants, and interested colleagues.

I'm guessing that's why you didn't see it on the NRMP when you looked before; I'm guessing it was tied up in some committee somewhere.

Cheers!
-d

PS - this came through on the ACMT listserv earlier today:

After many years of discussion and debate, the Fellowship Directors via the ACMT Fellowship Directors’ Committee voted to join the National Resident Matching Program. This move will professionalize the process of interviewing and selecting future Medical Toxicologists. The following is the timeline for the match in 2013 for fellows beginning training July 2014:

•August 7, 2013 Match opens
•September 25, 2013 Rank order list entry opens
•October 23, 2013 Quota change deadline
•November 6, 2013 Rank order list certification deadline
•November 20, 2013 Match Day

Please circulate this information to your faculty, fellows, prospective applicants, and interested colleagues.

I'm guessing that's why you didn't see it on the NRMP when you looked before; I'm guessing it was tied up in some committee somewhere.

Cheers!
-d

Thanks again! You have been a ton of help. I'll let people know too.

I keep forgetting this forum is hidden. I may have to book this one as well so I don't forget to check it for a few weeks.