Thoughts on applying early decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnEyeLikeMars

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what people's thoughts and/or experiences have been regarding applying early decision. My state school and alma mater (UNC) is by far my number one choice (location, curriculum, quality, cost) and my numbers are above their averages, but I'm worried that the risk of applying ED outweighs the reward. I know that this is where I want to go, so it would be nice to find out early and avoid some the hassles associated with applying to a bunch of schools. But I know that if I don't get in, I won't be sending out any other applications until October, which could be devastating. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Most would advise against applying early...except in cases like yours where you:
have one school you want to go to by far and
it is your state school and
your stats are above average for the school.
That said, you might want to call the dean of admissions, they will usually offer you some guidance, especially if it is your state school (and not California).
If you know that is where you want to go, and the admissions office gives you a thumbs up, how sweet for you!!!!
God luck!