thoughts on archaeological field school as research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missbones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am anthropology major and I have the opportunity to do a 1-2 week field school (basically an archaeological dig) that involves a research component. There are longer programs available but unfortunately I am taking summer courses so I can only do a short one.

It is relatively costly, ~1,000 and although I am definitely interested in pursuing this it is kind of a hassle to miss work and be gone for that long. My main drive would be the ability to use this to fill the research gap in my medical school application.

What are people's opinions of this? I know it is short but would it count towards research? Or would med schools tend to disregard something of this nature? Any tips would be appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

Im no adcom, but if I was, Id want to see someones research lasting longer than 1-2 weeks

I am anthropology major and I have the opportunity to do a 1-2 week field school (basically an archaeological dig) that involves a research component. There are longer programs available but unfortunately I am taking summer courses so I can only do a short one.

It is relatively costly, ~1,000 and although I am definitely interested in pursuing this it is kind of a hassle to miss work and be gone for that long. My main drive would be the ability to use this to fill the research gap in my medical school application.

What are people's opinions of this? I know it is short but would it count towards research? Or would med schools tend to disregard something of this nature? Any tips would be appreciated...

that sounds sooo cool! technically it would count towards research but it also helps if you were really motivated/excited to do this. is this a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity? when ever again are you going to get this chance??

i guess you can't expect the research-oriented schools to put a check in the "adequate research experience" box next to your name. but many people apply without research experience and get accepted somewhere. still its an amazing EC to talk about in a PS or during an interview.

If anthropology is considered a science (sorry, I know just about nothing about anthropology), then I guess it would be considered research. However, as the poster above me stated, two weeks wont count for much. Though, I would definately mention something like this on my application regardless of what it is considered as it seems to be a very unique oppertunity, atleast from my perspective.. But, dunno if it would be worth it to drop a grand on it just for research experience...you could probably volunteer in a research lab at your school and get "research" experience or even make money doing it if your lucky.