Thoughts on AT/DPT dual degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bdh220

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum. I was hoping to get peoples thoughts on the pros and cons of getting a dual degree. I am currently an undergraduate student and have just started thinking about the prospect of graduate school. I have not yet decided if I would want to work on the field or in a clinic setting. For now I am just interested in learning more about dual degree programs. Are these programs more competitive to get in to? Where can I search for schools with dual degree programs? Do people recommend going into a dual degree program or should I decide what type of setting I want to work in and then choose a path?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are currently an undergrad, what is your major and what year are you? I'm hoping you have spoken with your academic adviser about your plans for graduate school. Have you always been pre-PT and are now considering athletic training? Have you shadowed any sports/ortho PTs or any ATs?

I only know of the AT/DPT program at Boston, and it is a freshman admit six-year program, not a typical graduate program. The entire point of doing a dual degree is that instead of doing 4 years for the AT, and then 3 for the DPT, you are able to cut out a year. If you are already a student, you would basically be starting over as a freshmen.

Maybe someone more informed should step in. I know that there are master's level AT programs, but I do not know of any dual masters AT/DPT programs. Anyone else?

ETA: It is always difficult to give advice unless we know where you are in the application process. From the little information you have given us, I assume that you have not done much research about becoming a PT. A few more details about yourself would be good! Thanks :) And as always, Google is a very useful tool.

Are these programs more competitive to get in to? Where can I search for schools with dual degree programs? Do people recommend going into a dual degree program or should I decide what type of setting I want to work in and then choose a path?

To be frank,
1) Yes.
2) The Interweb.
3) From my 2 second search, the vast majority of the AT/DPT programs are freshman entry, which Watson27 explained above. I found 1 MSAT/DPT program at Shenandoah. You should definitely do your research. What do both career paths entail? Who do they work with? What do they do? What educational level do they have? Etc, etc, etc. Shadowing is also a must. Even if you choose one of these professions, both, or neither, it's very enlightening. I've shadowed MDs, vets, PTAs, and OTs as well as PTs, and doing that has only cemented my desire to go into PT.