Thoughts on beginning interview season late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LifeInPink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm an MS3 who will be applying for neurology residencies in the coming year, but I am planning on taking an elective that I am really excited for, but is only possible from in October to about Nov 15th. Because of that, I'll only be able to schedule interviews after Nov 15. Realistically, would this put me in a very bad spot, or would it be best to forgo that poorly timed elective? Any comments would be really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I'm an MS3 who will be applying for neurology residencies in the coming year, but I am planning on taking an elective that I am really excited for, but is only possible from in October to about Nov 15th. Because of that, I'll only be able to schedule interviews after Nov 15. Realistically, would this put me in a very bad spot, or would it be best to forgo that poorly timed elective? Any comments would be really appreciated!
November 15th is actually pretty early for interviews. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Just load up your interviews for after. By Nov 15th, I think I had only done 2 interviews so you're not going to be far behind. Just watch out with scheduling when you clump your invites.

Agreed it should be fine. Also, if you have to take an interview or two earlier than that, chances are good the elective will understand. Everyone has been in the same boat.

I applied neurology this year. I had 5 of my interviews during the time you'll be doing your rotation.

It is very possible to schedule all of your interviews after Nov 15, but you will need to have a very flexible schedule (from mid Nov to end of december) to accommodate that. Remember, interviews are usually a two day process. First you have the dinner with the residents the night before the interview and then you have the interview day.

With that said, you should be able to take a couple days off from your rotation to go on an interview or two. I don't see why this should be a problem.

Thanks for all of your responses. Unfortunately, this will be a rotation outside of the US and therefore I won't be able to take a day or two off for interviews here and there.

Thanks for all of your responses. Unfortunately, this will be a rotation outside of the US and therefore I won't be able to take a day or two off for interviews here and there.
Then why did you even ask the question?

You're going to do the elective, and you can't travel for interviews during it. That's life.