Thoughts on being a PT and Recreational Marijuana Use

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravisDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I procrastinate studying, I had this thought.

In states where recreational marijuana has been legalized, such as Colorado and Washington, what has the effect been on professions such as PT?

I can't imagine employers changed their stances on drug testing overnight, but it made me curious. I do not currently smoke marijuana (even though I have done my fair share during my undergrad years), but I am not explicitly against it. I personally wouldn't see the harm in a PT recreationally smoking on the weekend or evenings while not at work. Especially now that it is technically legal.

Share your thoughts/opinions!

Members don't see this ad.

I personally think that weed and health professions should not mix for the most part. It's not something that can benefit a dpt in any way, only harm.

Reactions: 1 user
First off, I am aware that there are worse things to smoke than marijuana that are also legal. But why would you want to develop an unhealthy behavior (that you don't currently have) just because it is legal now? Especially when we still barely understand the effects of marijuana on the brain? I guess what I want to say is that I agree with FuturePTsean, it is probably a bad idea.

That being said, I assume you wouldn't get in trouble for it but I am not that familiar with the details about marijuana use in those states.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I procrastinate studying, I had this thought.

In states where recreational marijuana has been legalized, such as Colorado and Washington, what has the effect been on professions such as PT?

I can't imagine employers changed their stances on drug testing overnight, but it made me curious. I do not currently smoke marijuana (even though I have done my fair share during my undergrad years), but I am not explicitly against it. I personally wouldn't see the harm in a PT recreationally smoking on the weekend or evenings while not at work. Especially now that it is technically legal.

Share your thoughts/opinions!

I think being a health professional should have more bearing on this than it being "technically legal." You should be the standard which your patients look up to. It's like if a PT only ate unhealthy food, was never acted, drank heavily frequently, and smoked tobacco. None of that is illegal, but it certainly doesn't improve the image of that particular physical therapist nor the profession overall. Practice what you preach.

Reactions: 2 users
@TravisDPT I have a similar background with marijuana as you do. I take the stance that recreational use is harmless (everything in moderation) and might be even beneficial in regards to decreasing stress and might even help with figuring out complex ideas in the field of PT.

@TravisDPT I have a similar background with marijuana as you do. I take the stance that recreational use is harmless (everything in moderation) and might be even beneficial in regards to decreasing stress and might even help with figuring out complex ideas in the field of PT.

I think there are more efficient ways to releive stress and figuring out complex ideas. Just my two cents

Reactions: 1 users
The only use I'm thinking of are the benefits of hemp in textile and other manufacturing goods.

Reactions: 2 users
Even though marijuana use is becoming main stream, it is still taboo in professional circles. It would be a nightmare of your employer or colleagues labeled you a stoner.

I dont think there is anything wrong with it as long as you dont let it affect your work and dont come in under the influence. Just like there is nothing wrong with going out on a friday and having a few drinks.

I don't know if it is because Chicago is pretty liberal, but i can name at least 20-25 PTs I know who smoke at least 1x/month, 3 of them coworkers. I do it from time to time, and it has not affected my work. I would not be inebriated at work, but getting high and watching the Walking Dead is always a good idea. Keep in mind if you are applying for a job and get it, you will usually get a drug test(sometimes not). I've never known a PT to get drug tested randomly besides at hiring unless you act out or have a work related accident.
However, if it leaves you super "hungover" feeling the next day, I would avoid doing it on a work night. Depends on how it affects you.

I think it is less of a question on if you use it and more of a question of how. DPTs are humans too and not expected to be perfect example of health. But what it DOES mean is that as a PT, you are trained to do risk/ benefit analyses. Apply that here. Do the pros outweigh the cons? Do the risk outweigh the benefits? Would it be healthier to not use it? Maybe, but we could say the same thing for alcohol, yet that doesn't carry nearly the stigma. I could say for me it would be healthier for me to go to bed earlier... hell.. losing sleep is probably a lot worse for me than smoking pot would be... but far from being a stigma... people actually admire you when you live off of less sleep. Public opinion simply isn't a good barometer for what's healthy. Just ask the egg.

Reactions: 3 users
I think being a health professional should have more bearing on this than it being "technically legal." You should be the standard which your patients look up to. It's like if a PT only ate unhealthy food, was never acted, drank heavily frequently, and smoked tobacco. None of that is illegal, but it certainly doesn't improve the image of that particular physical therapist nor the profession overall. Practice what you preach.

I agree with all you have said, smoking tobacco, eating unhealthy, never exercising.. yes these are all very detrimental things and would make us look bad. Have you ever seen an obese PT? I haven't, and I'd be willing to guess they are pretty rare.

However, with marijuana, I was speaking in more of casual use (I probably should have specified), which would not have nearly as detrimental effects. Smoking weed a couple times a month outside of work won't make you fat like cheeseburgers, won't ruin your lungs like cigarettes, and won't impair your ability to treat patients. Personally, if I chose to smoke weed every once in a while, my patients (even my coworkers perhaps) would never know I did. How would that change my patients' image of me?

I don't know if it is because Chicago is pretty liberal, but i can name at least 20-25 PTs I know who smoke at least 1x/month, 3 of them coworkers. I do it from time to time, and it has not affected my work. I would not be inebriated at work, but getting high and watching the Walking Dead is always a good idea. Keep in mind if you are applying for a job and get it, you will usually get a drug test(sometimes not). I've never known a PT to get drug tested randomly besides at hiring unless you act out or have a work related accident.
However, if it leaves you super "hungover" feeling the next day, I would avoid doing it on a work night. Depends on how it affects you.

Exactly along the lines as what I am thinking. I should have specified in my original post, but I am talking on more of a casual level, like you mentioned.

p.s. that finale............. :bang:

I agree with all you have said, smoking tobacco, eating unhealthy, never exercising.. yes these are all very detrimental things and would make us look bad. Have you ever seen an obese PT? I haven't, and I'd be willing to guess they are pretty rare.

However, with marijuana, I was speaking in more of casual use (I probably should have specified), which would not have nearly as detrimental effects. Smoking weed a couple times a month outside of work won't make you fat like cheeseburgers, won't ruin your lungs like cigarettes, and won't impair your ability to treat patients. Personally, if I chose to smoke weed every once in a while, my patients (even my coworkers perhaps) would never know I did. How would that change my patients' image of me?

I disagree that weed won't hurt your lungs or make you fat. Maybe not directly, but certainly indirectly. I've seen overweight, although not obese, PTs. If you are going on the "what they won't know won't hurt them" mantra, then so be it. But I do think it speaks to a level of professionalism in a similar manner as going out and getting hammered and making a fool of yourself would. Sure you aren't going to get fat, and your patients probably wouldn't know, and it's legal, but it certainly doesn't look good for your image if they did.

We should establish that their are other ways to intake THC other than inhaling smoke, like edibles or drops. I would assume since PTs are usually health conscious individuals, they would be more open to using these alternatives to get the same outcome without damaging their lungs. Just a thought

I disagree that weed won't hurt your lungs or make you fat. Maybe not directly, but certainly indirectly. I've seen overweight, although not obese, PTs. If you are going on the "what they won't know won't hurt them" mantra, then so be it. But I do think it speaks to a level of professionalism in a similar manner as going out and getting hammered and making a fool of yourself would. Sure you aren't going to get fat, and your patients probably wouldn't know, and it's legal, but it certainly doesn't look good for your image if they did.

I would agree to the indirect effects, since we know very little about the long-term effects at this point

We should establish that their are other ways to intake THC other than inhaling smoke, like edibles or drops. I would assume since PTs are usually health conscious individuals, they would be more open to using these alternatives to get the same outcome without damaging their lungs. Just a thought

Another good point. So what if I ate a couple of pot brownies on a Friday night with my friends? In moderation, it is no different than getting drunk with your friends on a Friday night. You're not going to go to work and tell all your patients how hammered you got with your buddies over the weekend, just how you wouldn't tell them you ate some pot brownies. Separation of personal and professional life.

The difference here, and why I made this post, is eating the pot brownies could potentially get you fired.

Just some (pot-free) food for thought.