Thoughts on Bikram Yoga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pumpkinpatch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey errbody, I just started a Bikram yoga class today and I wanted to see what people's thoughts were, from a PT perspective, on its efficacy/legitimacy/potential harm?

Here's my thoughts so far. I feel like a million bucks after I finish, and I do think it's a good workout, so I'll probably continue doing it (also, I already paid for a month's worth of classes :rolleyes:) But there's a lot I disagree with so far:

1. They claim that the room is heated so that a. you can stretch further when your muscles are warmer, and b. your body eliminates toxins with sweat. I agree with a, but I think it's totally bogus to claim that it gets rid of toxins... that's what your kidney and liver are for, and sweat is to cool you down. I don't think there have been any studies done to support their theory, so their claim is kind of coming out of thin air. In fact, if you don't drink a lot of water before, during and after you would get dehydrated, which would actually diminish your body's capacity to eliminate toxins.

2. They emphasize "locking your knees" during many of the postures. Since I haven't started the DPT yet and don't really have any training on this, I'm not totally sure, but isn't this bad for your knees? There were a few other poses that definitely are bad for your knees, the instructor warned us to "be careful" when doing those if you had knee problems, but didn't explain how to modify the positions. I've had patellarfemoral pain syndrome in the past, so this makes me a little nervous...

3. I guess this applies to yoga in general, but someone once told me that if you are already a flexible person, doing yoga can actually be bad for you. Something along the lines of decreasing your stability. True?

I guess I'm just worried that I'll aggrivate my knee, or hyperextend my back or something because of the extreme poses they push you to do.

Has anybody here done Bikram yoga and have any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also curious about this...I haven't tried Bikram yet, but I really want to (the temperature and length of class scares me...I'm afraid I'd get nauseated). I did an hour long non-bikram class in a room heated to 95 degrees and it was perfect. I don't know if I could do more than that.

One of my former co-workers (a DPT) is obsessed with Bikram - she does it like 3 times per week. She said there are two poses she doesn't do because of knee potential issues, but I'll have to look back in her email to me to find out which two they were.

I'm also curious about the "eliminating toxins" claim, and the flexibility/stability thing...I've never heard that before, but I'm extremely flexible. I would think that in "normal" yoga, there are plenty of poses that increase stability (plank, warriors, etc.) that would help. Of course there's the potential for overstretching in something like cobra that might pose harm if you overdo it? I don't know.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts! On Bikram and/or non-Bikram yoga.

Attended American Power Yoga about every other week while I was living in Dallas. The rooms were heated about 85... not so intense but good enough to get a good sweat. We did traditional yoga movements, mixed with Tai Chi and breathing techniques. I am in decent shape (cardio and weight train at least 3x/week) and I would be sore the next day after a class of yoga. It was awesome! Improved my strength, flexibility, and overall well-being.

Not sure about locking the knees part... we never did that... just doesn't sound right.

Recently shadowed a physical therapist at an outpatient rehab clinic, that would incorporate pilates, yoga, and Tai Chi in her treatment for her patients (most of them were suffering from multiple sclerosis). Great to see there not just one protocol for a PT to use when treating patients... adds to the reasons why I want to be a PT!

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried it for about 4 months and thought it was beneficial. I eventually stopped because of the cost, and travel time, and laundry (if you can't wash your sweaty towel and mat and bathing suit quickly after every single class, it can get nasty....) It also got boring over time, as the sequence of postures and oral instructions given are exactly the same for every single class.
And I think "regular" Yoga has just as many benefits. So, I've been doing "regular" Yoga at my regular gym and at home. (Keep in mind there are many, many different types of "regular" Yoga.)

As far as the questions about Bikram Yoga:
1. Toxins
Urea is one component of perspiration. It is a metabolic waste product, and considered a toxin at high levels. The amount excreted in perspiration is extremely small compared to the amount excreted in urine. But I believe that's what the 'sweating out toxins' claim is built on. Technically, it's true but I'm not sure if there's any dramatic health benefit from it.

2. "Lock your knees"
I had issues with this too and asked the instructor about it. She explained that the muscles around the knee(s) should be engaged especially in balancing poses. In the event of losing balance, the muscles absorb much of the loads, as opposed to the knee ligaments which are more vulnerable and much slower to heal if injured.
While I can understand this logic, I still think the phrase "lock your knees" isn't the way to go. I think you can engage the muscles so they are prepared without locking out your knees.
Maybe I had a better than average instructor but she was always very mindful of people's limitations, and always gave modifications for poses that might aggravate an existing condition. She would only allow simpler modifications of some of the tougher poses for everyone in the class, and then would individually let people know when they could proceed with the instructions for the complete posture.

3. Yoga, like most everything in life, if taken to extremes or done incorrectly can be bad. I believe what your friend was referring to is overstretching of ligaments. If they become too loose (which is rare but can happen) then they can't function as well in maintaining joint stability. I assume that an already flexible person can be mindful of how deep they are taking the postures and would not have this problem. Especially with feedback from a good Yoga instructor.

Loss of flexibility, especially with age, is a huge aspect of not being physically fit and greatly contributes to the risk and occurrence of injury.
I think Yoga is very complementary to physical therapy and beneficial potentially to everyone, both for general wellness and injury prevention.

I wouldn't do any type of yoga unless it was from a yoga instructor who went through the 2,000+ hours of training.

There are way too many people out there doing "yoga" who aren't properly trained.

I am avid fan of Bikram and I've been doing it for about three years. A big part of the Bikram philosophy is to only take your body where you feel comfortable letting it go. The poses aren't "extreme", but they are designed to target very specific muscles groups and stretch or strengthen them. Listen to your body and only go as far as you can go. There is no magic formula for Bikram, just do what feels comfortable.

As far as "locking your knees", again, only do it if its comfortable for you. The idea is to engage the muscles around your knee into locking it, not just locking it back and letting the muscles relax. All of your muscles are meant to be engaged at all times during Bikram.

And yes, sweating does release toxins from your body (as well as cool you off). Ever notice how some people are super smelly when they sweat? It's not just their deodorant wearing off. The smellier your sweat, the more toxins there are within it. If drank copious amounts of alcohol on a Saturday and went to the gym on Sunday and smelled alcohol "seeping out of your pores", its just another way your body is designed to release toxins out of your cells.

Anyway, Bikram is a good practice for all of the muscles in your body! I highly recommend it, just do what you can! :)

And yes, sweating does release toxins from your body (as well as cool you off). Ever notice how some people are super smelly when they sweat? It's not just their deodorant wearing off. The smellier your sweat, the more toxins there are within it. If drank copious amounts of alcohol on a Saturday and went to the gym on Sunday and smelled alcohol "seeping out of your pores", its just another way your body is designed to release toxins out of your cells.

Could you please share what resources tells that that sweating releases toxins from your body and how it is linked to your level of "smelliness"?

My experience, from ex-physio among other things, is that sweat's primary/sole goal is to regulate body temperature. The smell is coming from your apocrine glands (the ones in your arm pits) and they secrete lipid materials that are acted on by bacteria -- thus the smell. The rest of your body (via eccrine glands) are producing sweat in the form of water, salts, and lactic acid (might be one or two other body-byproducts). Which of those do you define as toxins?

That aside, I personally have never been a fan of yoga, so while props to you and everyone else for throwing yourself in a crazy hot room and doing it, I think I'll pass.