Thoughts on CASPER??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vi0linm0nster

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lol just took the CASPER and now I was just wondering a couple of things... Is it possible to retake CASPER a second time? Will schools see you took CASPER more than once and see both scores? Not that I completely bombed the thing, thought it was fine actually (although I could've written better if I had more time) but now what do I do? Do I just pray that I did decent and just send my scores to all the schools that require CASPER?

Members don't see this ad.

Lol just took the CASPER and now I was just wondering a couple of things... Is it possible to retake CASPER a second time? Will schools see you took CASPER more than once and see both scores? Not that I completely bombed the thing, thought it was fine actually (although I could've written better if I had more time) but now what do I do? Do I just pray that I did decent and just send my scores to all the schools that require CASPER?
You might be interested to know that a study was done in Canada where a group that had taken CASPer were given the same test two weeks later, and the results were statistically identical, despite participants having had that time to cogitate on what might have been more ideal responses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
You might be interested to know that a study was done in Canada where a group that had taken CASPer were given the same test two weeks later, and the results were statistically identical, despite participants having had that time to cogitate on what might have been more ideal responses.
They were given the EXACT SAME test, correct?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t know if you can retake it, but just to try and ease your mind, I think there were maybe 2-3 questions on my whole test that I finished completely. All the rest cut me off mid thought. I even left a comment in the feedback section about needing more time.

We’re not even sure yet how many schools are using CASPer, so try not to sweat it.

does it make a difference if we do CASPer by july 18 or july 30? i am submitting my primary this week.

Why are you combing through every CASPer related post and asking the same thing? Anyway, it makes a bigger difference that you're submitting your primary this week than taking CASPer July 30th imo.

Reactions: 4 users
Oh bc there isn't like one CASPer thread so no clue which one is active/being answered by people who may know. Sorry about this. Can you elaborate on submitting the primary? Do you think it puts me at a disadvantage for this cycle?

People have literally already submitted secondary apps for some schools. At this point it's a guess when you will be verified. By that time, likely August, interview invites start to be sent for some schools. If your secondaries are not pre written and you require additional weeks to formulate these responses, then you will be late. Being late = you're on the bottom of the adcom review pile = chances of getting interviews are lower.

If you have a question like this it's best to make a post.

People have literally already submitted secondary apps for some schools. At this point it's a guess when you will be verified. By that time, likely August, interview invites start to be sent for some schools. If your secondaries are not pre written and you require additional weeks to formulate these responses, then you will be late. Being late = you're on the bottom of the adcom review pile = chances of getting interviews are lower.

If you have a question like this it's best to make a post.
Approximately 75% of interviews are still available on September 1st. So if OP can get everything pre written between now and August they should still be good. Just gotta be proactive

thanks, i'll definitely start prewriting like made once i get this primary in!
Get that primary in ASAP. The only difference between my primary the day I submitted and May 30th was one sentence in my PS. Not worth that extra two weeks of waiting imo.

The longer you sit on your primary the longer it will take to get verified.

no prep is needed.

Avoid SDN, get the primary in. You are looking at 30+ days (my relatively unsubstantiated estimate based on last year) to get it verified if you send it in today. Then you are going to have to submit all secondaries within a few short weeks and hope for the best.

Can I just say that the turn around time for CASPER is a little ridiculous? I am beating myself for not taking it in May.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you take the CASPER before you receive secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)

You should take it early to save time down the road. Most (if not all) schools will send secondaries regardless of whether you have taken CASPer. The catch is that some wait until the CASPer results are available before offering interviews or even reviewing your application (each school is different). So they may wait to review your application until results are available - which takes upwards of 3 weeks after taking it, with 1-3 tests per month, it could take awhile.

Take it ASAP. Some schools don’t mark you as complete until your CASPER results are sent to schools. It takes 3-4 weeks to get grades and sent to schools.

Apparently, Albany won't even let you submit your secondary until they receive your CASPer

There is no possibility of retaking the casper right? I am so worried about how I did, but I know that everyone has struggled.

How is it even linked to my AMCAS. I guess I uploaded my passport to CASPer, but I never uploaded that piece of information to AMCAS.

I believe you can only take it once per application cycle. It doesn't link with AMCAS. It gets sent separately to any school you selected within CASPer.

I haven't yet taken casper, but I'm wondering, is there a way I can see my score before deciding to which schools I want to send my casper scores?

I haven't yet taken casper, but I'm wondering, is there a way I can see my score before deciding to which schools I want to send my casper scores?

No, you cannot see your score.

I took Casper two days ago. Honestly, I cannot tell how it went. The time pressure is enormous!

My favorite thing was reading the CASPer prep book from BeMo Academic Consulting, in which it said in the first few pages right after saying that it is meant to assess qualities such as compassion, ethics, communication, etc... "Whether CASPer actually assesses these qualities or not and whether it actually reduces the number of complaints against physicians is another story" and then proceeds to point out all the, incredibly valid, problems with the test such as individuals answering in the way they think they are supposed to instead of giving an honest answer of how they would actually respond to the situation, the lack of validation of the test, and how the test can put individuals of low SES at a disadvantage (which is ironic). This test is total B.S.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
The medical school application process was already a rat race to begin with, and now they are adding more needless tests and costs to medical applicants. I question the credibility of anyone that claims that empathy, compassion, etc., can be measured by a lame standardized test. It only adds needless stress with no proven utility. You don't even get to see your score.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you do any prep for it/ is there any way to prep for it? Just realized I have a school on my list that'll require me to take it.

Did you do any prep for it/ is there any way to prep for it? Just realized I have a school on my list that'll require me to take it.
FunkyFrog if you haven't written it already I would prep for it....you'll never be able to prepare for the exact questions but you can look at sample questions and learn HOW to effectively address questions. Above commenter mentioned the BeMo book but they have some free posts as well like this one

dumbest test I've ever taken in my life.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Easy test but does make the process more costly than it already is.

How do you know if it is easy if you don't get your score? Dunning-Kruger Effect anyone?
So we have a diagnosis from the good doctor, huh? There is more than one way to assess/judge a situation other than scores. What was so difficult about the test? Have you never had a professional job before? If you have ever taken a business or ethics 100 level class you could reasonably answer all of the questions without difficulty.

Last edited: