Thoughts on CMS proposal CMS-16-P

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OsTrigonum

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone who would be able to speak on this/what implications it would have if passed? Anyone know how likely this would pass? How bad would this be overall?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Modernization of E/M codes/documentation to a simple New and Established reimbursement is absolutely welcomed.

The singling out of podiatrists into its own category with an ~30% decreased payment rate is atrocious, likely discriminatory. If a PCP documents a plantar fasciitis new patient note with exact same documentation they would receive 1.9 RVU. Same note for podiatrist, 1.36 RVU.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Modernization of E/M codes/documentation to a simple New and Established reimbursement is absolutely welcomed.

The singling out of podiatrists into its own category with an ~30% decreased payment rate is atrocious, likely discriminatory. If a PCP documents a plantar fasciitis new patient note with exact same documentation they would receive 1.9 RVU. Same note for podiatrist, 1.36 RVU.

That is atrocious. Members of my school and the NYSPMA submitted the letter and I hope it works out in September :xf:

What's the point of a proposal like this to specifically hurt podiatrist salary?

Supposedly this is from Trump's book "How To Get Rich":

"I have come to hate doctors. I think that, generally, they are a bunch of money-grubbing dogs. I can tell you about countless instances when doctors have ruined people's lives. As an example, a person I am very fond of had a foot surgery that I believe should have healed naturally, but instead, the doctor operated on it, fitting pins and plates into the foot. Now, over a year of convalescence, this person is having a hard time walking. I think that suing a doctor like this would qualify as a worthwhile legal expense. (Recently, the patient saw this doctor walking on the very expensive and chic Worth Avenue in Palm Beach and spending lots of money.) This is one of many bad doctors I know of - there are too many other to name. I just can't stand the bastards."

Maybe Trump hates podiatrists.

Supposedly this is from Trump's book "How To Get Rich":

"I have come to hate doctors. I think that, generally, they are a bunch of money-grubbing dogs. I can tell you about countless instances when doctors have ruined people's lives. As an example, a person I am very fond of had a foot surgery that I believe should have healed naturally, but instead, the doctor operated on it, fitting pins and plates into the foot. Now, over a year of convalescence, this person is having a hard time walking. I think that suing a doctor like this would qualify as a worthwhile legal expense. (Recently, the patient saw this doctor walking on the very expensive and chic Worth Avenue in Palm Beach and spending lots of money.) This is one of many bad doctors I know of - there are too many other to name. I just can't stand the bastards."

Maybe Trump hates podiatrists.
But he gave pods higher salaries at VA’s lol

But he gave pods higher salaries at VA’s lol
I’m not playing sides but, do you think he really read the whole mission act?

It was kind of dumb luck the provider equity act got tacked on to the other va bill. Perfect storm. If it was stand alone I highly doubt it would be where it is today.

It was kind of dumb luck the provider equity act got tacked on to the other va bill. Perfect storm. If it was stand alone I highly doubt it would be where it is today.
Probably not read it entirely but I’m sure someone gave him a summary that included it lol.. maybe some bullet points haha

Has anyone on this site read the entire mission act?

So I sent in the APMA (or whatever lobbying group it was) template - thought about writing my own letter, but the text seemed adequate and I thought it would get redundant. I had tried to read a bit of the 1400 page document where the proposal is - there's quite a bit of discussion devoted to the E&M change. What I didn't find when I looked at the document that I believe is described in the APMA template is that CMS proposes to apply the Multiple Procedure Payment Reduction (MPPR) to services that accompany a separately identifiable E/M.

Of all the topics on the podiatry forums, this one is probably the most important or one of the most important in many years. I'm surprised to not see more posts (on topic) regarding this. It is a very big deal for our profession.

Of all the topics on the podiatry forums, this one is probably the most important or one of the most important in many years. I'm surprised to not see more posts (on topic) regarding this. It is a very big deal for our profession.
I have read that other specialties are also opposing this proposal and sent their letters. NY pods hired attorney agency to help oppose this proposal.