Thoughts on Cosman G4 RF machine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rehability

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone using the Cosman G4 RF machine? We need a new RF machine for our office and this seems to be reasonably priced (~$18,000) for a 4 electrode machine, but I have no experience with it. The needles are also cheaper than the competition (<$15).

Also, is insurance reimbursing for the 4th level or will they in the near future? If not, why have Stryker and Cosman made 4 burn machines? Otherwise, I may consider purchasing a 3 burn machine (e.g. Neurotherm). CPT code 64495 is for "third and any additional levels", so I'm guessing this means that the 4th level is not reimbursed.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I had this machine. Nice interface. Good people at the company but I did have issues with using 4 18 g needles and the wattage output exceeding limits(50W) so the machine would only lesion 3 at a time..... This was 2 years ago when the machine first came out and supposedly has been fixed.

Is anyone using the Cosman G4 RF machine? We need a new RF machine for our office and this seems to be reasonably priced (~$18,000) for a 4 electrode machine, but I have no experience with it. The needles are also cheaper than the competition (<$15).

Also, is insurance reimbursing for the 4th level or will they in the near future? If not, why have Stryker and Cosman made 4 burn machines? Otherwise, I may consider purchasing a 3 burn machine (e.g. Neurotherm). CPT code 64495 is for "third and any additional levels", so I'm guessing this means that the 4th level is not reimbursed.

Thanks for your help!

Rehability,

Just did a search for Cosman and stumbled across your post. You don't bill for each RF needle lesioning site, you bill for each facet joint "denervated". Four lesions (ex: L2, L3, L4, L5) would treat 3 complete facet joints; so that's why they have 4-lesion machines. Oh, and I don't believe any insurance pays of more than 3 facets on the same visit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rehability,

Just did a search for Cosman and stumbled across your post. You don't bill for each RF needle lesioning site, you bill for each facet joint "denervated". Four lesions (ex: L2, L3, L4, L5) would treat 3 complete facet joints; so that's why they have 4-lesion machines. Oh, and I don't believe any insurance pays of more than 3 facets on the same visit.

Back in 2011 you could still bill per nerve.

Reactions: 1 user
Just replaced my old smith and nephew device with the G4. Overall pretty good machine.
I paid 17.5k for device, 8 probes, 2 flextrodes (Accutherm/IDET probes), and many grounding pads and 2 grounding pad cables.
The rfa probes are close to <10$ each, not $15.....
cosman is the original RFA company, and the customer service is good.
My neurotherm multilesion device blew out the motherboard only after 4 years of usage... they are negotiating a replacement for me, but is not warrantied.

good luck.

Look young pain fellows what Steve so kindly attached for your archival viewing... I think instill have one somewhere... The Memories

That's a flux capacitor

I use a Cosman at my current practice. Like it quite well. The only thing I don't like about it is that it prevents my using various proprietary bits from Stryker or Neurotherm.

How about G4 vs Stryker Multigen? Which one is a better buy? Which one is more user friendly? Who sells cheaper accessories/needles?

Stryker electrodes and needles are very expensive. Great stuff, but much more expensive than anything else

If you buy your rfa needles in bulk, you can get a deal <$10 per needle.
So I alternate between cosman and neurotherm, the bigger players, and purchase from whom is giving the best deal that year.
Also the rfa probes and needles are all interchangeable. You may need a special male-female adapter for neurotherm to cosman machines...

If you buy your rfa needles in bulk, you can get a deal <$10 per needle.
So I alternate between cosman and neurotherm, the bigger players, and purchase from whom is giving the best deal that year.
Also the rfa probes and needles are all interchangeable. You may need a special male-female adapter for neurotherm to cosman machines...
a

The probes and needles are interchangeable, but note with some the rfa probe will stick out of the end of the needle (Kimberly Clark/ pajunk or neurotherm needles). Kind of like the venom…….