Thoughts on Drexel MBS please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed199710

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have information on Drexel MBS? I feel like it is a good fit because I have a 3.3 ugpa and 2.95 sgpa so the 2 years give time to improve and show growth. Doing well Would get me over 3.0 sgpa and show growth in difficult courses. Do you think this program is enough that if I do well I will be a competitive applicant at low tier med schools? I had a 504 first try but plan on re-taking w/ goal of 510-514 since there is built in MCAT prep in the program. Does anyone have any information if attaining 3.75-4.0 in the program is doable? Any thoughts or advice is much appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The MBS is a masters program, correct? If so, then it will not affect your undergraduate GPA. If your goal is simply to become a more competitive applicant, I might suggest either the IMS program or a one year SMP. A 3.75-4.0 anywhere is doable, you just have to do the work. If it changes anything for you, the current second year of the MBS class has ~30 students left, when they started with 44 last year (source- friend in the program).

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

The MBS is a masters program, correct? If so, then it will not affect your undergraduate GPA. If your goal is simply to become a more competitive applicant, I might suggest either the IMS program or a one year SMP. A 3.75-4.0 anywhere is doable, you just have to do the work. If it changes anything for you, the current second year of the MBS class has ~30 students left, when they started with 44 last year (source- friend in the program).

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
You receive a masters degree after 2 years but the first year is packed with undergraduate coursework that raises both undergrad GPA and will show up as a separate postbacc GPA (Biomedical Studies < 2019-2020 Catalog | Drexel University). I received this information from an admission advisor.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine in med school did the Drexel MBS program for much the same reasons you are exploring. He ended up kicking butt in med school (Virginia Tech Carilion), He was one of the hardest working and one of the smartest guys I knew, and went on to rock an ED residency in Colorado (very competitive).

Reactions: 1 users
A friend of mine in med school did the Drexel MBS program for much the same reasons you are exploring. He ended up kicking butt in med school (Virginia Tech Carilion), He was one of the hardest working and one of the smartest guys I knew, and went on to rock an ED residency in Colorado (very competitive).
Thats so great to hear! They're one of my top choices right now as I already live in the philly area and they have been extremely helpful with the application process. Do you by any chance know if many people get into the their medical school through the MBS program? They have a guaranteed interview option if you hit certain stats and honestly I would really want to go to Drexel med.

i do not know those numbers unforunately. but just my 2 cents, the best way of getting accepted to medical school is being memorable. Of course you need minimum stats just for the application to be read. However, once you get your application read, its about being memorable. Drexel med gets over 15000 applications for what? Maybe 250 seats? You can bet over half of those applicants have amazing numbers. So then how does an adcom weed out the future class from the 7000? Being memorable. Everyone has a sob story about being in a hospital. Give me the essay about seeing humanity working the tables at the Luxor in Vegas. Gah! I would have killed to have that application essay. The point being- again my 2 cents that to some may be completely BS- to get into med school do what you need to do to get read, then be interesting to read about.

I'm currently finishing my first year in Drexel's MBS program! Let me know if you have any questions or DM me!

I'm currently finishing my first year in Drexel's MBS program! Let me know if you have any questions or DM me!
I was wondering you knew how flexible the program admissions is with the science gpa minimum.

Hi! I was wondering if you could give us a rundown on how the program has been for you.

Hi! I was wondering if you could give us a rundown on how the program has been for you.
Hello! Here are a few thoughts I had. Note that my year was particularly different since I transitioned to online in the middle of spring semester first year.

Pros: advising is great, given all study material for MCAT really helped, I feel a lot more prepared for medical school with the classes
Cons: the "undergrad" courses do require studying and are not super easy even though you already took the courses, the MCAT course is at night (6-8pm), the grad courses do move quickly so you're expected to find your studying skills early on

The professors know your goal is to get into medical school. They (mostly) are approachable which is important because you probably want a letter of recommendation from one of them. I will speak for my classmates (since I have a math bachelors degree) that physics is a little rough. The professor isn't the best and it'll be good to get to know your TA since he/she is the one grading the tests. You do notice a change in pace during second semester by taking anatomy and physiology, both grad courses. They are a lot of effort but are the same style as you would see in med school. I had a tough time with physiology because the teaching style was different than what I'm used to, but I still managed.

The class is a mixture of recent grads and people who are a few years out. I would say the average age was 24. I was one who worked a couple years after graduating and then joined the program but I know several people who went straight from undergrad.

This program is rigorous, and I will admit there were a few students who didn't do well. The option they took was to switch to the IHS program. It's similar in that you take both undergrad and grad level courses with more flexibility to create your own schedule. I think the guarantees are not offered though. There are resources to help studying, such as mentorship, TAs, professors, and tutors.

Classes are around 1.5-2 hours and about two classes a day. The schedules usually have a few hour breaks in between, but all this can change due to everything being online. Some classes may have live Zoom lectures, but others may have pre-recorded lectures, so it'll be up to you to manage your time wisely. Also, there are recitations set up by the TAs every week to go over the material. Those are completely optional and will be recorded.

The reason this program is two years is because you apply for medical school in the summer between the two years. That way, the advisors are there for you through the entire process. The acceptance rates obviously vary, but it can range from 80-100%. My advisor told me that if people don't get acceptances, it's usually due to the student not listening to the advisor in which schools to apply for.

There is no curve, but the grade ranges can be different depending on the class (such as grad level courses, an A is 92+ while an A- is 89-91). Some classes also offer extra credit but that depends on how the class is doing overall.

At first, the Zoom classes were a little tough for me because it switched in the middle of the semester in my first year. I enjoyed that professors recorded their lectures so I can rewatch them at double speed before a test if needed. I really depends on your learning style and there will be an adjustment period, but no matter where you'll go, you'll have to deal with it. All throughout second year, I got used to the recorded lectures and may now prefer them, which is good because some medical schools use this as their way of lecturing.

Finally, this application year was tough since soooo many people applied to medical school, so I can't really say stats for who got into med school from my program, but overall, I think it was worth it for me.

Hello! Here are a few thoughts I had. Note that my year was particularly different since I transitioned to online in the middle of spring semester first year.

Pros: advising is great, given all study material for MCAT really helped, I feel a lot more prepared for medical school with the classes
Cons: the "undergrad" courses do require studying and are not super easy even though you already took the courses, the MCAT course is at night (6-8pm), the grad courses do move quickly so you're expected to find your studying skills early on

The professors know your goal is to get into medical school. They (mostly) are approachable which is important because you probably want a letter of recommendation from one of them. I will speak for my classmates (since I have a math bachelors degree) that physics is a little rough. The professor isn't the best and it'll be good to get to know your TA since he/she is the one grading the tests. You do notice a change in pace during second semester by taking anatomy and physiology, both grad courses. They are a lot of effort but are the same style as you would see in med school. I had a tough time with physiology because the teaching style was different than what I'm used to, but I still managed.

The class is a mixture of recent grads and people who are a few years out. I would say the average age was 24. I was one who worked a couple years after graduating and then joined the program but I know several people who went straight from undergrad.

This program is rigorous, and I will admit there were a few students who didn't do well. The option they took was to switch to the IHS program. It's similar in that you take both undergrad and grad level courses with more flexibility to create your own schedule. I think the guarantees are not offered though. There are resources to help studying, such as mentorship, TAs, professors, and tutors.

Classes are around 1.5-2 hours and about two classes a day. The schedules usually have a few hour breaks in between, but all this can change due to everything being online. Some classes may have live Zoom lectures, but others may have pre-recorded lectures, so it'll be up to you to manage your time wisely. Also, there are recitations set up by the TAs every week to go over the material. Those are completely optional and will be recorded.

The reason this program is two years is because you apply for medical school in the summer between the two years. That way, the advisors are there for you through the entire process. The acceptance rates obviously vary, but it can range from 80-100%. My advisor told me that if people don't get acceptances, it's usually due to the student not listening to the advisor in which schools to apply for.

There is no curve, but the grade ranges can be different depending on the class (such as grad level courses, an A is 92+ while an A- is 89-91). Some classes also offer extra credit but that depends on how the class is doing overall.

At first, the Zoom classes were a little tough for me because it switched in the middle of the semester in my first year. I enjoyed that professors recorded their lectures so I can rewatch them at double speed before a test if needed. I really depends on your learning style and there will be an adjustment period, but no matter where you'll go, you'll have to deal with it. All throughout second year, I got used to the recorded lectures and may now prefer them, which is good because some medical schools use this as their way of lecturing.

Finally, this application year was tough since soooo many people applied to medical school, so I can't really say stats for who got into med school from my program, but overall, I think it was worth it for me.
Wow thank you so much! I really appreiate you taking your time to write this.
I had one question referring to the guarantees that you mentioned? Are you referring to a guaranteed interview or something else? Just wanted to check because I wasn't sure if this program had any guarantees.

Wow thank you so much! I really appreiate you taking your time to write this.
I had one question referring to the guarantees that you mentioned? Are you referring to a guaranteed interview or something else? Just wanted to check because I wasn't sure if this program had any guarantees.
Yeah the MBS program has a guaranteed interview for DUCOM and PCOM if you get a certain gpa and MCAT score!