PhD/PsyD Thoughts on EPPP audio materials, Psychprep vs. AATBS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClinPsychFan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are several threads on people's preferences for EPPP test prep materials, but I'm wondering specifically about the audio materials. I know there are online lectures available through AATBS, and CDs/mp3s available through Psychprep. My commute to work is almost an hour each way, and is a good way to get some extra study time in.

I'm wondering if anyone can speak to your experience with either one, and if you felt the content on the audio recordings reflected material on the actual EPPP.

I guess as an added thing, I'm pretty much just considering getting the books from AATBS and the tests and using those to study as well. Any thoughts on the other companies (mainly Academic Review or Psychprep) are welcome. Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

I used 4 year old AATBS materials. Read them cover to cover twice, took some practice exams, reread the sections I did bad on.

Took 2 months and was nowhere near serious about it until the last few weeks.

Pick whatever study method works best for you. I find the AATBS ones the most detailed and I learn best by reading. Certainly did the trick. Blew it out of the water.

I listened to Psychprep audio during my commute and found it to be really helpful. It reinforced what I was reading in the written materials and kept the material fresh in my mind, so I think it helped on the actual EPPP, although I don't recall specifics.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there. I used the Taylor Study Method and passed quite comfortably. Good luck!

I used PsychPrep CDs. I listened to them 2 or 3 times over a period of a few months and did zero reading. I just listened to those + did about 5 practice tests. (Disclaimer: I taught abnormal, bio basis, and intro psych that same semester so I had a pretty solid review built in). I comfortably passed EPPP on my first try and found a lot of the material from the CDs to be relevant.

Yep, similar to a few others in this thread, I also only listened to the PsychPrep CDs and took their practice tests for studying. I listened to the PsychPrep materials while walking to/from work and found them pretty enjoyable to listen to, and I definitely learned from them! It was a pretty low stress way to study.

I know there are several threads on people's preferences for EPPP test prep materials, but I'm wondering specifically about the audio materials. I know there are online lectures available through AATBS, and CDs/mp3s available through Psychprep. My commute to work is almost an hour each way, and is a good way to get some extra study time in.

I'm wondering if anyone can speak to your experience with either one, and if you felt the content on the audio recordings reflected material on the actual EPPP.

I guess as an added thing, I'm pretty much just considering getting the books from AATBS and the tests and using those to study as well. Any thoughts on the other companies (mainly Academic Review or Psychprep) are welcome. Thanks for any input!

I took the exam almost a year ago. Unfortunately I had to take it more than once. What helped me the most were the audios and exams from Psych Prep; However, before I got into those I read all the AATBS books (which are very well structured) and I did practice questions from AATBS and Academic Review.
Everyone's experience with this exam is very different... good luck!

Q: I hold a TLLP at the masters level only and need to pass the EPPP to secure a better paying position in order to finance my PsyD education. I have read many of you had no difficulty passing the exam, however, that is AFTER completing your doctorate. Anyone have any advice for how the exam might be for a masters level trained practitioner?

I used some old Psychprep audios that a friend passed on as one tool and they worked really well for me. I found that actually remembered the information as well as the examples that were given. My set of audios was a few years old but still quite relevant. Highly recommend but for me was one of a few things I used (e.g., practice tests, flash cards, app)...I got bored quickly so needed to keep mixing it up ;)

I had about 6 of the Academic Review old tests, they were pretty close. Taking them and brushing up on a few things between practice tests were all I needed.

Did yours say “post test?” I have these exams but I don’t know what company it is from. I think I have up to 5 AR exams so I’m going to take a look at those.

Did yours say “post test?” I have these exams but I don’t know what company it is from. I think I have up to 5 AR exams so I’m going to take a look at those.
I do not remember. I just remember that they were about 3 years old when I was studying for the exam and they covered everything just fine.

Psychprep all the way! The material was easily digestible, their focus on study strategies is super helpful, the practice tests were similar in difficulty/content (maybe even harder) than the EPPP questions. I passed by a lot on the first try thanks to psychprep!